Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Just saw this on Foxnews. Some of the commenters have their panties in a wad, and think the family is looking at prison time for performing a citizen's arrest. Yes, or no?

Link

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Unless the Sheriff and Prosecutor are real ass holes then no.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
looks good

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Maybe the Alabama authorities can do something different than us, but LE couldn't make an arrest a week after a burglary here, without warrant, less a citizen. They could be stopped, detained, and identified...but not arrested.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hope not...

In Nebraska, chasing down and pulling a gun on a burglary suspect would probably get you tossed in jail with felony counts if you did it in Lincoln or Omaha (liberals). Possible that you wouldn't get convicted of a felony, but almost surely convicted of some misdemeanor that removed your 2A rights for life.

Outside of those cities, you'd probably be fine.

Shooting a guy who tried to run away while being held at gunpoint that had committed burglary? Jail time anywhere in the state.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Maybe the Alabama authorities can do something different than us, but LE couldn't make an arrest a week after a burglary here, without warrant, less a citizen. They could be stopped, detained, and identified...but not arrested.

Same samo here.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Would the stop and identification by the citizens be enough for probably cause for a search of their car? And when stolen items were found in the car, would that lead to an immediate arrest?

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In Texas, you'd be alright doing any of the above, including using deadly force, against somebody who is committing, or just committed a burglary. But not a week later when you see who you think might have done it driving down the street.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

They found stolen items in their possession from another burglary. Would that make a difference for the LEO?

Last edited by heavywalker; 12/17/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I whipped a citizen's arrest on a couple of druggies who fender - bendered the car in front of me and tried to drive off.

It took the cops 30 minutes to come get them, then I had to go to the Police Station to give a report.

While I was waiting on a detective to take my report, I was watching the security camera monitor and watched the druggies post bail.

I spent more time "in custody" than they did!

Now..... I just mind my own business.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by heavywalker

They found stolen items in their possession from another burglary. Would that make a difference for the LEO?

Absolutely,"fruits of the crime", however it would only link them to the crime that the items came from. Since the police took them into custody and charged them withthe original crime from a week before, it makes me wonder if warrants had already been issued.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I believe in Utah, the wording is on the order of "occurring or about to occur"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Just saw this on Foxnews. Some of the commenters have their panties in a wad, and think the family is looking at prison time for performing a citizen's arrest. Yes, or no?

Link

If the thieves had been illegal aliens, the Feds would have filed charges on the victims.

REALLY.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Alabama law on "citizen arrest"

Section 15-10-7

Arrests by private persons.

(a) A private person may arrest another for any public offense:

(1) Committed in his presence;

(2) Where a felony has been committed, though not in his presence, by the person arrested; or

(3) Where a felony has been committed and he has reasonable cause to believe that the person arrested committed it.

(b) An arrest for felony may be made by a private person on any day and at any time.

(c) A private person must, at the time of the arrest, inform the person to be arrested of the cause thereof, except when such person is in the actual commission of an offense, or arrested on pursuit.

(d) If he is refused admittance, after notice of his intention, and the person to be arrested has committed a felony, he may break open an outer or inner door or window of a dwelling house.

(e) It is the duty of any private person, having arrested another for the commission of any public offense, to take him without unnecessary delay before a judge or magistrate, or to deliver him to some one of the officers specified in Section 15-10-1, who must forthwith take him before a judge or magistrate.

Last edited by .280Rem; 12/17/14.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There won't be any prosecution of this family for anything.

War Damn Eagle!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Good

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You are going to start seeing vigilante justice more and more and lo and behold any police who get in the way. The people have had enough.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by derby_dude
You are going to start seeing vigilante justice more and more and lo and behold any police who get in the way. The people have had enough.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by derby_dude

I think people should be responsible for their own protection of life, limb and property. I have no problem with people doing as this family did either. True "vigilante justice" though, would involve also playing judge jury and executioner without due process. THAT I would have a problem with.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by .280Rem
There won't be any prosecution of this family for anything.

I wouldn't think so. Can an arrest be made in Alabama for crimes that occurred in the past? (In this case, a week.),without warrant? Is this considered some type of "fresh pusuit" deal?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

238 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 35WhelenNut, 30Gibbs, 338Rules, 32 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,613
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.