Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I run 6 gr W231, 230 gr Ball in my Commander, which is my carry gun. It's accurate & never fails to feed or eject.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have to respectfully disagree, 5" is insufficient regardless of distance. There is a reason the FBI spent time and money to determine 12" or more is necessary to reach the vitals for a handgun cartridge.

Gold Dots are great rounds, but can fail like any other bullet.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Esox357
I have to respectfully disagree, 5" is insufficient regardless of distance. There is a reason the FBI spent time and money to determine 12" or more is necessary to reach the vitals for a handgun cartridge.

Gold Dots are great rounds, but can fail like any other bullet.

Exactly. 5" is only good for a frontal chest shot without heavy clothes and is a very bad approach. No one knows ahead of time the shot angles or amount of penetration ne ssecary ahead of time.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We're not talking about a firefight here.Short barrel gun= close encounter of the bad kind.Read the post-shooting info on some of the SD shootings..max 7 yards,most 5' to body contact distance.

What LE/FBI have to do is nothing like a civilian protecting himself.Most citizen shooters are in their homes/cars. My 5" statement may be off a bit,however "Gold Dot have proven themselves time after time as reliable,but a head,neck,chest shot from any angle will stop the threat.
Measure your own head or distance to your heart and see where 5" of massive tissue damage will get you.....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Again you miss the point, you assume all encounters are close and frontal. May or may not be the case. Good luck

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rifle
penetration of 5" at 5 to 10 feet is plenty and most likely distance of a SD shooting.
Gold Dots have very good rap from the street...

GoldDots penetrate more than that.

Where'd that 5" guesstimate come from?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 5" statement is distance to brain or heart when damaged will shut off,either stop working they both die.
I had assumed that since most everyone here knows about bullets, that they knew GD/Hshoks/Golden Sabers/HST's will penetrate over the 12" mark,more than enough to reach vitals after shooting thru leather,cotton hoodies and whatever clothing is worn

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LE/FBI have the most experience in shooting people so therefore their information is relevant. Hence where do you get the vital information that Gold Dots are so great?

What difference does the scenario make? A firefight requires more penetration and a knife wielding attacker needs 5"? Maybe a rapist needs 3" inches since he is so close? The logic here escapes me? You are assuming too much in this aspect as well as being able to recognize a threat, make a response to threat, initiating response by getting your weapon drawn from a concealed method, and accurately firing to connect on a head shot/neck shot ect? A lot has to take place in a small amount of time. It is very unrealistic at best. Most police department shootings are dismal on hit percentages under these circumstances.

There are several reasons for low hit rates since physiological responses occur when placed under stress as your heart rate climbs, vision narrows, auditory exclusion, you urinate/defecate as your body prepares for your survival mode. You lose fine motor skills; which shooting is.

I agree most "tackleberrys" want what the police have and demand the same requirements. Yes, most citizens won't come across the situation to warrant firing at a moving vehicle or shooting through barriers to stop a threat? It could happen but unlikely.

Don't put much faith in bullets or cartridges! Your ability to detect danger first, have a proper response, use tactics, and getting off the 1st shot and hitting a vital will give you the best results added with a lot of LUCK to survive a deadly force situation! You can do everything right and still end up dead......remember that!

I hope you got something out of this?

If not well.

Merry Christmas Eve! :o)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes,I have had defensive and low-light training,spent my own money to do so. All taught by LE instructions and a few military ones as well.I can give names and hours spent,but it's not needed is it? I too,know how the motor skills go to [bleep] along with a lot of other things.
However,here is my conclusion,you carry what you wish,I'll carry mine and pray we never have to use them....Merry Christmas

Come on America,

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 5" statement is distance to brain or heart when damaged will shut off,either stop working they both die.
I had assumed that since most everyone here knows about bullets, that they knew GD/Hshoks/Golden Sabers/HST's will penetrate over the 12" mark,more than enough to reach vitals after shooting thru leather,cotton hoodies and whatever clothing is worn

Gotcha. I've shot deer with the GDs, and they definitely penetrated more than 5". Can't say how much, though, as they exited the rib cage on broadside shots both times.

Agreed on carry what you want. We live in a Golden Age of bullets. You have to try hard to find one that doesn't work well, especially in the standard calibers and weights.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 4ager

Gotcha. I've shot deer with the GDs, and they definitely penetrated more than 5". Can't say how much, though, as they exited the rib cage on broadside shots both times.

Agreed on carry what you want. We live in a Golden Age of bullets. You have to try hard to find one that doesn't work well, especially in the standard calibers and weights.

What caliber and weight did you use on the deer?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
.45ACP, 230s. "5, 1911 Gov't Model. I know they were 230s because that's the only weight I've ever shot in that one.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm not sure I buy all this 'short barrel' load stuff.

From what I can tell, the whole premise of the short barrel load is about making the smaller handguns more pleasant to shoot.

If I was going with a smaller pistol in 45 ACP, I'd put performance over my personal creature comfort, and go with a high performance load like a 230 gr +P.

Then I'd practice with it to be comfortable with some basic stuff like double tap, failure drill, etc.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

From what I can tell, the whole premise of the short barrel load is about making the smaller handguns more pleasant to shoot.

If I was going with a smaller pistol in 45 ACP, I'd put performance over my personal creature comfort, and go with a high performance load like a 230 gr +P.

Then I'd practice with it to be comfortable with some basic stuff like double tap, failure drill, etc.

There you go again making sense. You should know that doesn't work too well around here on the Campfire.

Sheesh.

wink

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Exactly.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bea175
I carry the Gold Dot 230 +P in my Glock 36 at the moment.

^^^This^^^.

Except in a LW Combat Commander.
I've shot a few Whitetails with that same load and I was pretty impressed with the Penatration and expansion of the 230gr Gold Dot + P Load.

I've also killed one small Buck with the 230gr Remington Golden Saber +P load. Expansion was about the same as the Gold Dot load, but with a little less Penatration.
IMO, both of those loads should be great personal defense ammo.
Sure hope I never have to find out, though!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
.45ACP, 230s. "5, 1911 Gov't Model. I know they were 230s because that's the only weight I've ever shot in that one.

Which 230's?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

Which 230's?

Um, the GoldDots I mentioned earlier. Speer GoldDot 230 grain JHP .45ACP factory loads from a 5" Gov't Model 1911. Two deer (does), broadside. Both shot through and through.

It's a sample of exactly two, but it's a sample and I liked the results.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No problem. I wasn't, and still am not, quite sure if you were trying to get at something else or not, though.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,226 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,811
Posts18,496,425
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.