-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'm still AMAZED at the craftsmanship,that is put into my son's new Leica glasses(8x20 BCA's). What amazes me,is how something soooooo small,can be soooo good?<P>Today was spent trying to illustrate to him,how to properly focus his new glass,with the diopter and center focus wheel. I scribed his diopter setting and showed him how he could rapidly check that mark,to confirm HIS "zero". Being everyone's eyes,are unique unto themselves,it was an excersizing series of lessons. I believe he has the concept,firmly etched now.<P>Today was "Honey-Do" day,so I was unable to get to the range. Tomorrow we'll fish in the early morning and hit the range in the afternoon. My intention is to put up a series of slightly obscured targets and allow him to find them,then relate to me,their exact position. His job is to call out the target,in coordinates akin to a clock face,then to give me a distance to the target(via laser). That does several things. First it helps to hone his ability to resolve a target,then will test his ability to take his eye off the target and then to reaquire it(in the transition from binocular,to rangefinder). <P>I learned loooong ago,that a GOOD partner can quickly and accurately,describe a distant target. That regarding location and distance. Those skills are often underestimated by many,until needed. Nice to Hunt with a guy that silently nudges you and says,"Do you see that Buck at 9 O'clock at 550 yds"? Or,"Mallard drake,6 O'clock,in range!".<P>My goal is to be able to give him such coordinates and have him be able to rapidly hone in,on that location. That will prove a most invaluable asset,come this year's Deer Season and the Rut especially. The reason being,the Rut is effectively hunted here,with a call and the Bucks often approach without warning. With luck,we will fine tune a system,that will enable him some close shots,at some very exceptional animals.<BR>I am slobbering in anticipation!<P>For most of this,the rangefinder is moot,but I feel it does sharpen skills. He isn't too far,from accompanying me in the High Alpine. THERE,range assessment IS critical. By that time,I hope to have laid the groundwork,that his glassing skills and range determination techniques,are based on a solid foundation.<P>Back to the crux of this post. Allow me to suggest giving a high quality compact binocular,a passing thought or two(and most certainly a hands on look). I would never trade my full-size Zeiss 10x40's,for a compact of any manufacture,but can readily concede the compact's attributes. Their obvious strength,is their size. Simply put,there is ZERO reason,to never have glass on your person. They are so handy,as to go unnoticed. Weight is zero concern and bulk,the same. The depth of field and field of view,both impressed me. <P>Compacts are a specialized instrument,that goes without saying,but in their element they can certainly hold their own. Most impressive,to say the least.........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stick- That's teaching the little man polar coordinates so by doing this you are teaching him the beginnings of Algebra and land navigation/orienteering. That's a pretty good lick for such a young man!<P>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BS: I felt the same with my stiener 8X24's they are so small and insignificant when I first saw them I felt silly, like I was carrying a toy around. I still on occasion feel a bit silly as a professional to have them with me like I can't afford real glasses. They do however work as good as all mid range full size glasses of say 250-400 dollars and way better then anything less. My opinion mirrors yours with my full size leica 10X42's I would never trade the compacts for them either. However they are so tiny and light I have them with me much more often then I will have the Leica's. I am working some goat hunts this fall and am still considering the 8X24's just because the hunts are difficult, they are that good! I don't know if most guys hunt in the straight up from Sea level to 8000 ft as we find in our habitat so size and weight may not be a concern but for anyone who has difficulty packing into anyplace the newest generation of compacts is simply unbelievable! I hunt bear in the evenings on a closed and gated road. I need to travel about 4 miles and use my Mountain bike often to get all the way in quick. The compacts are made for this kind of trip. jj

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
JJ,<P>It is exactly the Hunts you mention,that the compacts shine. the reason I purchased them for my son,was due largely to their size,as they compliment his frame. Seems silly to me,to ask a 65 pound kid,to tote a full size glass around his neck,day in and day out. That would be akin to my toting 60 ounce glass,around MY neck. NO thanks!<P>As he matures and his physique enables him to Hunt along side me,in all terrain,I'll happily "upgrade" his glasses. Until then,he is in pretty good shape,regarding his equipment(grin)......

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had a nice pair of Ziess mini's, that some crack addict stole a few years back...<BR>they just slipped in your shirt pocket so nicely..

Those that would trade freedom for security, deserve neither freedom or security.
IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Big Stick,what a great way to teach a kid.<BR>It makes it fun while learning something.<BR>I think I will try something like that with my granddaughter.She is just turning 6 and is real into the hunting and has started to take a interest in the bino's.<BR>We already have her shooting a Bow at 3-D shoots and she also has shot her 22 rifle.<BR>I think using some of what you are doing will help her alot.We will skip the range finder for now (hope she doesnt have a clue about those just yet LOL)She is already quite into the sporting goods.I just Love that kid.<BR>Thanks for the idea.<BR>I also agree on the size factor ,as I am not real big and have a hard time with the mens gear.

R
R
Big Stick<P>Thanks for the tip, the 600 compacts are on the way, along with some Victory 10x40 demo's I nabbed for a damn-good-price. My chat was with a guy name "David" told him to send your name to Chris, (oops) "Big Stick" he said, laughing at your handle, he assured me he would pass it along. You might want a straiten that out.<P>As for the opera glass, i've never found a use for it. Your "Amazed" and JJHack "simply unbelievable" comments warmed me up enough to maybe give the compact bino's a second look. I have know uncertainty's of Leica's superb craftsmanship, but their usefulness well...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (44mc, 35, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 8 invisible), 1,466 guests, and 916 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,420
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.