Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Very cool. My grandmother once shared with me that her own mom's mother(my great,great grandmother, I suppose)stated that John Wilkes Booth was some limb on our tree. Never bothered to verify.

Your thread just might be the motivation for me to give it a go.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Do it,..

It looks like it could turn into something that you keep up with for years.

Like I mentioned earlier, it could be a huge thing if enough people took part in it,...and I think they will, eventually.

I ordered a kit for my mom today,....just because I want to see how the breakdown occurs concerning the origin of our ancestry.

I've located people who are on both sides of my parents, but I'm interested in finding where each side came from.

It's especially interesting to Americans,...because we're all a bunch of mutt residents of the great melting pot.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
This does look interesting. I'd like to try it but looks like its not available outside the U.S yet. Hopefully soon. I know very little about my family tree, from what I've been told its mostly German or Russian. Would like to know more, so I'll keep an eye on it to see if they expand. For $90 it would be interesting enough I think.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My wife did it. She does know her family history pretty well on her dads side.
First relative was a Hessian soldier captured at the battle of Trenton. He may have switched sides because he did receive a pension of land in West Virginia after the revolution.
In typical Teutonic efficiency the family has church records in Rowenfurth (sp) Hesse, Germany. No surprises on the German link but surprised at the links to England and Ireland.
On her moms side it is pretty colorful. Her first ancestor came From China and was prominent in the Chinese community in Los Angeles. He was pretty much a pimp and ran a gambling hall. This is documented in the L.A. Times. This little tidbit drives her bible thunper cousins nuts. No real accurate records are intact in Chine so all she knows is Canton bit not sure if the city or Province.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scotty
Two of my great-grandparents were orphans, so it would be interesting to see what the quarter of me that we know nothing of is.

I was given up for adoption at birth and have no info at all about my birth mother and father. I'm most likely mostly Caucasian but other than that ???.

Just ordered the kit, it'll be interesting to see what kind of genetic soup led up to my popping out into the world.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by Scotty
Two of my great-grandparents were orphans, so it would be interesting to see what the quarter of me that we know nothing of is.

I was given up for adoption at birth and have no info at all about my birth mother and father. I'm most likely mostly Caucasian but other than that ???.

Just ordered the kit, it'll be interesting to see what kind of genetic soup led up to my popping out into the world.

Very interesting,...but you're very likely to learn more than that.

Your DNA will be put into the database and compared to others that have been sent in. If any blood relatives have sent their DNA in it will direct you to their user name and give their relationship to you. It will also direct you to any of their family trees. (if they have constructed any)

Past a point it gets fairly meaningless,...8th cousins and so forth,...but my DNA was matched to two 1st/2nd cousins and a whole string of 3rd cousins.

And,...it's bound to grow as time passes.

This stuff is just getting started. If it continues to grow, as I think it will, it's going to be hugely informative.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for posting Bristoe. Those are neat pictures. If last names mean anything, most all of my ancestors came from England or Ireland....except my great grandma who was half Native American. There are some family that say Dutch and others say it was a religion called Pennsylvania Dutch [I hope I got that right].

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by asphaltangel
Thanks for posting Bristoe. Those are neat pictures. If last names mean anything, most all of my ancestors came from England or Ireland....except my great grandma who was half Native American. There are some family that say Dutch and others say it was a religion called Pennsylvania Dutch [I hope I got that right].

You can find out for sure for $90,...and it's not always as cut and dried as it may seem.

Even though one side of my family can be traced to Cornwall, my DNA analysis indicates that only 7% of my DNA shows a connection to Great Britian.

So,..even though that ancestor was living in Cornwall, his family had immigrated there at some point,...most likely from non Great Britian Western Europe,..like Germany or France.

Apparently, English DNA has markers that can distinguish it from the rest of Western Europe,..same with Ireland. But the French and Germans and that area are essentially one people.

Other DNA markers can be found in the people from the Iberian Peninsula of western europe,..and Eastern Europeans/Russians can be distinguished from Western Europeans.

Its interesting stuff,...but it gets very interesting when they stick your DNA in the database and start showing you your living relatives and how they're related to you,...many times with contact information. (through the ancestry.com webpage)

Of course, you remain anonymous unless you choose not to.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bristoe

You can find out for sure for $90,...and it's not always as cut and dried as it may seem.

Even though one side of my family can be traced to Cornwall, my DNA analysis indicates that only 7% of my DNA shows a connection to Great Britian.

So,..even though that ancestor was living in Cornwall, his family had immigrated there at some point,...most likely from non Great Britian Western Europe,..like Germany or France.

Apparently, English DNA has markers that can distinguish it from the rest of Western Europe,..same with Ireland. But the French and Germans and that area are essentially one people.

Other DNA markers can be found in the people from the Ibernian Peninsula,..and Eastern Europeans/Russians can be distinguished from Western Europeans.

Its interesting stuff,...but it gets very interesting when they stick your DNA in the database and start showing you your living relatives and how they're related to you,...many times with contact information. (through the ancestry.com webpage)

Of course, you remain anonymous unless you choose not to.

I would love to do it once the dust settles with the holidays. I tried to find out where my dad's family was from when we traveled to Germany. The name was not known enough for me to think the family came from there, but I could be wrong. I found more evidence of the British and Irish roots.

Some people could care less to know of their ancestory, but I think the topic is fascinting. I bet there will be some surprises based on what you have learned.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
There are some family that say Dutch and others say it was a religion called Pennsylvania Dutch [I hope I got that right].

The Pennsylvania Dutch aren't actually Dutch, they're German. It's not a religion, it's people from the southwest part of Germany that settled in Pennsylvania. The word "Dutch" actually doesn't have anything to do with what we think of as the Dutch (people from the Netherlands) but comes from Deutsch which means "the people" in German and also refers to the German language. Today people think of the Pennsylvania Dutch as the Amish and Mennonites, but originally you had a bunch of other groups that immigrated and settled in middle Pennsylvania also. Over the centuries they have integrated into the american melting pot while the Amish and Mennonites have kept themselves separate which means they're the only distinct Pennsylvania Dutch groups left. My father's people were originally Pennsylvania Dutch, Lutheran in religion, then migrated to North Carolina and fanned out across the south. Most germans anglicized their names when they hit the colonies to better fit in with the english. Weiss would become White, Schwartz would become Black, Braun would become Brown, Schmidt would become Smith, etc. Just because a person's last name sounds English doesn't mean it isn't German, the spelling was likely changed when they hit the shore.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Other DNA markers can be found in the people from the Iberian Peninsula of western europe,..and Eastern Europeans/Russians can be distinguished from Western Europeans.

This is a good book to read if you're really interested in the genetic makeup of europe. It's mainly centered on the British Isles but goes into detail about mainland europe because you can't really separate the two, there was so much immigration to Britain through pre-history that made up who the English, Irish, and Scottish are.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Saxons_Vikings_and_Celts.html?id=KDPEteL4L5wC

Essentially the ancient inhabitants of the British Isles are very closely related to the people in northwestern Spain and southwest France, the Basque region. A lot of the genetic markers that distinguish a Brit or Irishman from a German are those related to the Iberian peninsula. After the fall of Rome there were a lot of invasions of the British Isles, originally the Saxons, Angles, and Jutes which were German tribes, then eventually the Vikings from Scandinavia who contributed a lot of DNA to the mix. One thing I found interesting is that Sykes, the author of the book, said that it's basically impossible to genetically tell a German from a Scandinavian, the Vikings and Germans were genetically one people.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Thanks, guy,...I need to give that a read.

I've been putting this stuff together for the past few weeks and that book looks like it's something that I need to internalize.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bristoe, Funny you bring all of this up. My wife has worked on this for 3 years maybe. I told her all I cared about was direct line out from me. So we got back to Europe of course. First one USA was 1656 Virgina, 7th great grandfather came from England.

Anyway, so I look at my wife and said did you know that they do DNA on you family program deal. She looked at me and said yes. I've done that. I said what, then she said oldest son had done it too. Surprise surprise.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Many years ago National Geographic did the DNA thing. Sent for the kit and got a nice report back. Very general as to what group I was with when we left Africa and how we wondered around till we settled in Europe (Germany)
One of my cousins who was a College Prof did a search where he even went to Germany to check records, graveyards and government doc's.
He went all the way back into the 16th Century with names, dates and occupations. A few doctors in there, one was even the doctor to the king and queen of some state back in the 1600's
I'm only a 2nd gen. American, both grandparents came over from Germany around the turn of the century, according to my cousin we still have a lot of family in the old country.
70 years ago we had family shooting at family during WWII

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn, Bristoe, after you mentioning your folks were from the "bootheel" of Mo., I think I'll let sleeping dogs lie.

My Father's Father was James K.Polk Williams, the name he was given when his Mama dropped him off as a 12 year old at the Indian School at Decatur,Tx.

The records give her name, which I can't spell or pronounce, and say she was a "Comanche who lived with the Wichitas".

Father was listed as "unknown white man, BELIEVED TO BE BE FROM MISSOURI.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
spell it out, curdog.

we might be cousins.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never met you, but I guarandamntee you that I've got worse ones than you'd be.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
There are some family that say Dutch and others say it was a religion called Pennsylvania Dutch [I hope I got that right].

The Pennsylvania Dutch aren't actually Dutch, they're German. It's not a religion, it's people from the southwest part of Germany that settled in Pennsylvania. The word "Dutch" actually doesn't have anything to do with what we think of as the Dutch (people from the Netherlands) but comes from Deutsch which means "the people" in German and also refers to the German language. Today people think of the Pennsylvania Dutch as the Amish and Mennonites, but originally you had a bunch of other groups that immigrated and settled in middle Pennsylvania also. Over the centuries they have integrated into the american melting pot while the Amish and Mennonites have kept themselves separate which means they're the only distinct Pennsylvania Dutch groups left. My father's people were originally Pennsylvania Dutch, Lutheran in religion, then migrated to North Carolina and fanned out across the south. Most germans anglicized their names when they hit the colonies to better fit in with the english. Weiss would become White, Schwartz would become Black, Braun would become Brown, Schmidt would become Smith, etc. Just because a person's last name sounds English doesn't mean it isn't German, the spelling was likely changed when they hit the shore.

This is very interesting. Thank you for the clarification.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm only a couple generations removed from some that spoke Pennsylvania Dutch. All I know is that it was a corruption of German. I presume it'd be similar to the Hutterites and Mennonites in that it'd be a dialect of Low German, but I could be in error and actually be a corruption of High German.

MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I didn't know anything about it, but my wife found out about it and ordered a kit for both of us. She sent hers off and there was no surprises. She's Russian/Polish and the results yielded that she was a 99% Slavik purebred. My kit laid around here and I never got around to doing it up, but my brother indicated that he was interested so I gave it to him to do.

The outcome was interesting. Both of us are fair skinned with light, fine textured reddish hair and there was quite a bit known about our maternal side of the family. Dad's side however was a mystery. Dad was darkish complected with black hair and he tanned up in the sun. Word was that it was from a hit of native american somewhere back in there somewhere.

Well,..the results came back and there was no native american indicated. It seems that the dark complexion stuff in my family comes from the Iberian peninsula of Europe,....Spain/Portugal,..that stuff. 25% came from Ireland,..no surprise there. But only 7% of our DNA was associated with Great Britain. The majority (44%) could be traced to Germany, France,...alla the non Great Britain Western European people and a pretty good dollup was from Scandinavia.

All of this was interesting, but the biggest hit from the test was from the DNA database that ancestry.com is keeping which compares your DNA to others that have been sent in and lists people who are related to you.

I've yet to learn who the person is, but someone very closely related to me on my father's side had sent in family histories and some pictures.

I pulled up the page and found a picture of my grandmother and my uncle that I had never seen.

I've been sitting here at the computer for 2 days finding out my father's family history.

It's worth doing,...no chit.

I think it's going to explode once it catches on and enough people get involved to string out some in depth family trees.

I have had three DNA Testing's done and they all come back that I'm a Martin not Anderson. My Grandfather on my Father side never knew who his Father was and took the name Anderson from my Great Grandmother or i should say his Mother. My DNA show 99.9% on three test that My Great Grandfather was a Martin.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1234, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 72 invisible), 2,220 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,785
Posts18,495,990
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.