-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 23 24
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can you hit a deer in the vitals with a peep sight at 100 yards? If that's a yes, then you'll have no problem hitting a deer in the vitals at 600 yards with a 6X quality rifle scope..spend some time learning how it all works, and you'll do just fine with a 6X.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pat, what glass does that .220 Swift of yours wear?

Any rifle that has finger grooves worn into the stock still just amazes me.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Formid: Thanks.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Can you hit a deer in the vitals with a peep sight at 100 yards? If that's a yes, then you'll have no problem hitting a deer in the vitals at 600 yards with a 6X quality rifle scope..spend some time learning how it all works, and you'll do just fine with a 6X.

Why on earth would you try to bring logical thought into this argument?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess I should mention I've never shot any deer with a 6x, but I've shot a bunch with variables set to 5-6x. So much so that I do not consider it a handicap to have a fixed 6 on a deer rifle. I could give a schidt what the precision guys are doing and I honestly don't even care that Ringman loves high power Tasco junk on his "deer spotting rifle". Whatever you wanna hunt is fine by me, just don't try and tell me my way is wrong because you saw a list of what "precision shooters" are using on the internet.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Gotten your pair of variables back from the repair shop yet?

Yes, thanks for your concern. It says a lot. Especially from someone who shouldn't be wink

Shot a little today with the 6.5-20 Mark 4 LR ERT M5. An Audette with the .264 and RL-33 with the new Kreiger 5R...

[Linked Image]

Shot at 550 yards. 72 grains to 75 grains (the high shot that showed pressure). The whole ladder had about an inch of vertical. Loaded in the middle of the node at 74 grains right on the lands and shot a little group at the same range of 550....

[Linked Image]

I had my scope power on 20X BTW...

[Linked Image]

I'm sure Pat shot that group with his S&B set on 6X.

LOL!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
This $4000 scope is uber. Oops, wrong forum....
[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
So, rather than aiming at 2" paint spots at 550, how about aiming at the vital zone on deer?

Earlier you said something along the lines of 6x being OK for large targets not far away. Let the deer vital zone be how large. You tell us how far, without being facetious please.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Last time I mentioned how far a 6x has taken me, it turned into a saga. Right, Rick? grin

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Was that with the 140 Berger, curious because I just bought some Berger 140's for my 264?

You will not make peace with the Blue Coats, you are free to go
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
So, rather than aiming at 2" paint spots at 550, how about aiming at the vital zone on deer?

Earlier you said something along the lines of 6x being OK for large targets not far away. Let the deer vital zone be how large. You tell us how far, without being facetious please.

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Last time I mentioned how far a 6x has taken me, it turned into a saga. Right, Rick? grin

Everyone has a personal preference. I prefer to have the option to turn the power down for shooting position reasons or target location reasons and also the option to turn it up for accuracy and precision. Just giving an opinion on what works for me. If ya'll want to shoot at targets and game with irons and low powered scopes at long range, I really couldn't give a good schitt.

Merry Christmas!

Originally Posted by Nomosendero2
Was that with the 140 Berger, curious because I just bought some Berger 140's for my 264?

Yessir! Found a load in 7 shots and confirmed with 8 more. I don't think I'll even adjust the seating depth much

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Everyone has a personal preference. I prefer to have the option to turn the power down for shooting position reasons or target location reasons and also the option to turn it up for accuracy and precision. Just giving an opinion on what works for me. If ya'll want to shoot at targets and game with irons and low powered scopes at long range, I really couldn't give a good schitt. Or a straight answer.

SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Question was about 6x but not necessarily a fixed 6x. Thanks for all responses

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
rcamuglia,

Everyone has a personal preference. I prefer to have the option to turn the power down for shooting position reasons or target location reasons and also the option to turn it up for accuracy and precision. Just giving an opinion on what works for me. If ya'll want to shoot at targets and game with irons and low powered scopes at long range, I really couldn't give a good schitt.

Merry Christmas!

Thanks for the simple straight answer.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
RC, what range will 6x take you to on deer? confused

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SAKO75

It is really not a simple question.

Many here have said that 600yds is no problem . Maybe or maybe not. cool

I would say that just because we can resolve, in good light, well enough to aim at the deer does not necessarily mean 6X is enough for shooting game at that distance. Aiming the rifle with enough precision is just one part of the issue of actually killing game.

6X is not enough to adequately read the mirage for your wind call and at 600yds you will be holding some wind more often than not when shooting game.

6X is not enough, for me @ 600yds, to be sure I am picking the right buck out of a crowd, ensuring the buck is clear of intervening brush or clear of other animals. This is especially true in challenging light conditions.

While there is no doubt that game has been taken at 600yds with 6X that does not mean it is wise to do such things.

In my opinion 400yds is a pretty reasonable max range if you are limited to 6X on the optic but I suspect not all will agree. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

1 member likes this: rcamuglia
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by SAKO75

It is really not a simple question.

Many here have said that 600yds is no problem . Maybe or maybe not. cool

I would say that just because we can resolve, in good light, well enough to aim at the deer does not necessarily mean 6X is enough for shooting game at that distance. Aiming the rifle with enough precision is just one part of the issue of actually killing game.

6X is not enough to adequately read the mirage for your wind call and at 600yds you will be holding some wind more often than not when shooting game.

6X is not enough, for me @ 600yds, to be sure I am picking the right buck out of a crowd, ensuring the buck is clear of intervening brush or clear of other animals. This is especially true in challenging light conditions.

While there is no doubt that game has been taken at 600yds with 6X that does not mean it is wise to do such things.

In my opinion 400yds is a pretty reasonable max range if you are limited to 6X on the optic but I suspect not all will agree. grin

That response makes alot of sense, well thought out.

You will not make peace with the Blue Coats, you are free to go
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yah, but it addresses the question and that's uncalled for!

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Longest shot with 6X was 438 yds. I would have rather had 8X, but 6X worked.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
287 yards.

Having said that I can murder 12" gongs at 500 all day long with my FX3 6x42 with the LRD reticle.

Hunt Africa while you can
Page 3 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (160user, 22250rem, 1minute, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,479
Posts18,490,041
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.