Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Just got back from the range and my first try using 3f wasn't so successful. I had shot a couple shots with 2f and figured I'd clean the gun before I tried the 3f. I used the same cleaning procedure I always use at the range before. I "might" have forgot to run a dry patch down the barrel. Well I couldn't get that 3f to go off to save my life. I ended up pulling the ball and getting most as much of the powder out as I could, it looked damp. I loaded up again (with 2f) and had a little trouble getting it to off, but it did on the 2nd attempt. I am looking forward to experimenting more with it though.

I hear ya about 4f lasting forever. I've had my muzzleloader for 14 years, this year I've shot it the most. The previous 13 years I'd get so frustrated I didn't even want to look at it. Heck I never even picked it up for about 4 of those years. I had problems with flints but I seem to have that figured out now. Anyways, I still have about 3/4 of a lb. left.

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
You got it wet. You should have tried the 3F after you got the 2F to fire.

No way the 3F was at fault. Always run a dry patch after any sort of wet patch. Sometimes I run two dry patches using both sides of the patch.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Yeah I know I got it wet. I wasn't blaming the 3f, it was my fault. I usually run two dry patches also. I wanted to shoot some more but had to get going due too family obligations.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by ridgerunner85
Well I couldn't get that 3f to go off... I loaded up again (with 2f) and had a little trouble getting it to off...

Is the flash pan going off and not the main charge, or nothing is going off?
In each case what powder did you have in the flash pan?

Stand up and be counted, join a shooting sports organization
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R

Is the flash pan going off and not the main charge, or nothing is going off?
In each case what powder did you have in the flash pan? [/quote]

I had a main charge of 3f and 4f in the pan. I couldn't get the 3f to go off because I forgot to run a dry patch after cleaning.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

The Fg rating is a more modern system to define the grain size of BP .The difference between Cannon , Fg ,Ffg , FFFG, FFFFg all the way up to 10Fg is the grind. it�s the same powder just a finer grind . The smaller the grind , the more complete the burn of the powder grain . Thus the higher the pressure , which in turn increases velocity to a point .
The FG scale came about really more as a way to define and regulate charges for BP cartridge , then it was for anything else . It provided a more consistent way to define an average size of grain .Prior to the scale , you had musket grade and cannon grade/ corn grade powder with larger and smaller grains spread throughout of 1F / musket powder as well as also small grains .

BP is measured in volume based on the reasoning that it is produced in Cake which is a given volume . Its is then ground and sifted through screens to produce average size , NOT pressed to a given size or flake as with modern powders .
There is no more , nor no less powder by volume then what the original grind started with . Again , by grinding that original cake smaller , a larger surface area is produced . Thus increasing the chance of ignition and creating a more complete burn . IE, why you get higher pressure from 3F vs. 2F even though it�s the same powder .
Yes you actually use alittle less . Also what you see coming from the muzzle , isn�t always un burnt powder . For the most part its un burned carbon cinders

Myself
I use 3F in everything from small rifles to large bore 60-79 cal � IF � that�s what produces the best accuracy .
Myself I prefer 3F when I can . Not only does it take less but I also find it cleaner .
The reduction of 10% between 2and3F isn�t exact. It really depends on the powder . All the barrel cares is that it has X pressure . As such if you fine tune your 3F load so that it produces the same pressure as your 2 F load , its will shoot very near the same . Might not be exactly the same do to the slightly quicker pressure spike . But again that happens so quick most folks wouldn�t even know
With that being said, Myself I prefer 3F . However I do have a couple rifles which prefer 2F . I just never have been able to produce a 3F load in those rifles which will produce the same target accuracy of the 2F . Close , just not good enough .

The theory that your being told by Dixons is one of 2F gaining more surface area to initial ignition .,
Cant say I agree . Now in wet conditions , 2 F doesn�t get wet as fast as 3 F or 4F . But when dry I don�t find it lights any easier then 3F .

Some folks also say that 3F is just as fast as 4 F in the pan .. Half of one , dozen of another . I use 4F in the pan and 3F when I find myself without 4F

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My nipple is never in my rifle when cleaning. I insert it when I'm done cleaning. Don't soak your patches and it may take both sides of two patches to dry the bore. Then use pipe cleaners and q-tips for the nipple hole and cleanout screw areas.

When at the range, I only swab the bore. Generally always use 71% rubbing alcohol in a small spray bottle, then a dry patch. The alcohol dries fast. I prefer 71% over 90%, which dries too fast for my liking.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 3,002 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,195
Posts18,503,558
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.