Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If they would have simply kept the old-style trigger, they'd be at the top of a lot of people's wish lists now. As it was, they took the one feature that stood out from the crowd of other available rifles, and threw it under the bus. Very dumb marketing move, as the world is flooded with "good" rifles these days.

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Terryk
I saw a Portugal super grade at a shop, and it was buffed to hell. It looked like a poor reblue. All the lettering was dished out.

Perhaps it was.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One M.O.A. Trigger review......lot of other good reviews out there.

Winchester M.O.A. Trigger System

Based on the same triple pivoted lever design principles as the Browning Feather Trigger System and engineered by the same design team, the Winchester M.O.A. trigger is essentially a Feather Trigger adapted to the Model 70 rifle. From its introduction in the 1930's, the Model 70 had an excellent, user adjustable trigger. The old Model 70 trigger, however, required careful manufacturing, fitting and adjustment for top performance. These were sometimes lacking in recent years.

The new M.O.A. trigger mechanism boasts a 2:1 mechanical advantage and the new Model 70 rifle is supplied with a wide trigger blade that minimizes the subjective pull force required to fire the rifle. The examples that we tried at the 2008 SHOT Show were excellent and no doubt easier to manufacture and tune than the old trigger mechanism. The factory set pull weight is specified as 3.75 pounds and the adjustment range as three to five pounds. There are adjustment screws for overtravel and pull weight. If it lives up to its initial promise, the M.O.A. may be the best Model 70 trigger yet, joining the Savage AccuTrigger, Marlin MOA and Browning Feather Trigger at the top of the new crop of trigger mechanisms.

Conclusion

Some of these new triggers represent the solution to a vexing problem, the lawyer inspired triggers of the last 20 years. The benchmark Savage AccuTrigger is at the forefront here. Others, as you have read above, are more advertising sizzle than substance.

The Browning Feather and Winchester M.O.A. triggers are interesting because the A-Bolt and Model 70 triggers that they are replacing were already far better than average. These appear to be honest attempts to make a good product even better. Given the importance of a proper trigger to a good hunting rifle, it is worth pondering the validity of the claims for these new triggers before purchasing your next rifle.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I don't think anyone ever said the Portugal guns weren't as nice as the SC FN's. To be honest, the SC plant was having some QC issues: Fit and finish and quality of stocks. They decided to move production to Portugal to remedy some of the issues they had here in the states. I still don't plan on buying any Portugal made rifles as they are not real Winchesters as far as I'm concerned. The last ones were made in a place they call New Haven, Connecticut...

Preach it brother preach it! Why were they stopped being built in new haven again???

Last edited by 79S; 12/21/14.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
I don't think anyone ever said the Portugal guns weren't as nice as the SC FN's. To be honest, the SC plant was having some QC issues: Fit and finish and quality of stocks. They decided to move production to Portugal to remedy some of the issues they had here in the states. I still don't plan on buying any Portugal made rifles as they are not real Winchesters as far as I'm concerned. The last ones were made in a place they call New Haven, Connecticut...

Preach it brother preach it! Why were they stopped being built in new haven again???

Winchester didn't know how to run a business. FN herstal convinced them to shut down in 2006. After they (Browning arms company/BACO/FN (Fabrique Nationale) Herstal) opened back up in Columbia, SC in 2008, things went good for a few years and then:.....
Because of whiney azzed punk azzed union workers that wanted more money. They cried and made demands and when they didn't get them, quality suffered. Winchester then said FU guys and moved production to Portugal. Sound about right bro?? wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Winchester didn't know how to run a business, but the successful business model that still produces the goods gets run down all the time for not passing the nastolgia sniff test. If frogs had wings, they'd likely not bump their asses as much.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Winchester didn't know how to run a business. FN herstal convinced them to shut down in 2006. After they (Browning arms company/BACO/FN (Fabrique Nationale) Herstal) opened back up in Columbia, SC in 2008, things went good for a few years and then:.....
Because of whiney azzed punk azzed union workers that wanted more money. They cried and made demands and when they didn't get them, quality suffered. Winchester then said FU guys and moved production to Portugal. Sound about right bro?? wink

Uh no their is no Union in South Carolina it's right to work state. FN bought USRACo back in 88-89 when USRACo went bankrupt. Fn went to the union in new haven asking the workers to take a pay cut because fn was losing money. The union said hell no but we want more money. But I'm pretty sure your post above was your attempt at good humor smile

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I only have a couple of pre-64s, a S.C. FWT, and a '79 pushfeed so while I can't address the Portuguese guns directly, I do know my shorts get a little tight every time Gitem posts that SG.
John

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ingwe
Good input. I know this will bristle a few up here but the New Hampshire guns had the most QC problems of any era....I was in the gun biz at the time, and they were dreadful.

FN fixed that.

I suppose since no Winchester 70's were ever made in New Hampshire, those that were undoubtedly had QC issues... grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Exactly..... blush

I think I may need to seek safe "Haven"..... whistle

Last edited by ingwe; 12/22/14.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Kudos to you for catching the Spelling Nazi.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I didn't realize you were a spelunking Nazi... I'm more of a reading Nazi... I just hate lazy reading.

grin

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ingwe
I know Bob, it was addressed to the gallery....

For you, I know this is heresy, but I think the new Model 70s are as good as any they have ever put out....

On the Hunters Campfire there is a thread if you feel like being mean.

Hint... grin

Agreeing with ingwe...?? Wow!

But, he's right. The new Model 70's are really nice rifles. I like my NH triggers but have to admit the new trigger feels pretty good. Is it as robust as the NH trigger? Don't know. I'd feel better with the old style trigger on a DG gun.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just like the post-64 lacking CRF was not a Model 70, so too a model 70 lacking the original trigger is not an M70.

Not sure what it is, but it's not an M70, though it could be argued the CRF is more important to the overall design integrity.

I'll pass on the Lisboa version...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So a Supergrade - Cabela's edition would most likely be a Portugal gun?

Sorta eyeing one on-line to have shuttled over to my local for purchase and thus - can't see how it's stamped.

And yes ingwe - it's a 7mm Mauser, with ideas of a fixed 6 on top for my Michigan deer hunting.

Me

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I personally think the BACO guns are more nicely put together than the Classics,,except for the F'in trigger. I like the old style better.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Other than the stamp on the barrel, one would never know they were assembled in Portugal. The new trigger will have to prove itself. To me the new guns are as slick as pre-64's and that's saying a lot. And they seem to shoot really well.

What's not to like.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

What's not to like.

DF

They're made in Portugal, not in Connecticut USA, they don't have a genuine M70 trigger... etc.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While the M70's are treasured rifles they have been replaced by the lighter Kimbers.

A Kimber 84M in say 308 is a landmark rifle. The safety even works smoother than the old 70's.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 204guy, 67 invisible), 2,620 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,812
Posts18,477,605
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.