Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Ringman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
"I know that scopes are aimers not lookers" is political correctness come to the long range forum. I use my binoculars to find things and use my rifle scope to make sure I want to shoot.

A few years ago I found a deer and started turning up the magnification. When I saw it was legal I fired. Then I looked at the magnification: 10X.

Two seasons ago I found a buck with horns wider than the ears with the binos. I didn't decide to fire until I could see four points on both sides. I checked the scope: 12X.

That same year I went to another state and found antlers out in the flats. I could not tell it was legal until the scope was on 25X.

The reason I have a "Hubble" is because I don't carry a spotting scope. This year I plan on a max scope power of 24X. It seems to be barely better than last year's 25X.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Much easier ways to skin that cat but carry on as you see fit.

Substituting a scope for a spotter? What if you "spot" something you thought was game but was another hunter that you scoped?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by GregW
Much easier ways to skin that cat but carry on as you see fit.

Substituting a scope for a spotter? What if you "spot" something you thought was game but was another hunter that you scoped?

Hunters don't wear orange during rifle season in Arizona?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most don't wear orange in Oregon. Plenty of non hunters out and about as well.

Never even heard of anyone wearing brown/tan/black/camo and using shed antlers to rattle with...Or like a few years back, a guy got nuked packing out an bull.

Luckily nobody is ever hurt when shot in a hunting accident.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Depending on the terrain , I would say no spotter is ok. Heavy cover where binos are plenty or wide open prairie where you can see for miles...... But even then once in a while even on open prairie, there are folks out doing things other then hunting during antelope season and do not think it necessary to wear orange. Relying on see orange to tell game from human is not the best course of action.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get a good spotter and make room for it in your pack.....you'd be surprised how much more game you'll find. I can't imagine scanning difficult glassing terrain with a rifle scope. Zero chance of ever "scoping" someone with a spotter as well.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
^This.

Plus, you'll be able to see a lot better through a spotting scope with a larger objective than any rifle scope, because the size of the objective lens plays a major role in resolution.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Being scoped by other hunters is a major reason I no longer hunt in Southwest Oregon.

If I think I need to glass, I'll have a spotting scope along.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You were probably getting scoped by Ringman as he's from SW Oregon.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do my best to never hunt canyons that can be seen from a road. Tend to slide behind trees or rocks if I hear or see a rig when hiking back to a road. Sad to think we have to hunt like that.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Live there most my life, and get scoped more than I should admit to.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never point your rifle at something you don't want to kill.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by Rogue
Do my best to never hunt canyons that can be seen from a road. Tend to slide behind trees or rocks if I hear or see a rig when hiking back to a road. Sad to think we(think) have to hunt like that.

Fixed it for you!
This stuff isn't that hard!!!
Merry Christmas

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The following is typical, therefore I will respond to it.

What if you "spot" something you thought was game but was another hunter that you scoped?

Maybe you boys didn't notice the part were I posted about finding game with the binos and then deciding, first if they were legal and second, if I want to shoot or not by taking a closer look. I even gave three examples.

Maybe I mentioned it here, but it could be at work, but I often use Evander Holyfield as an example of what I would bet on. I always would bet fifty cents against anyone's quarter that Holyfield would win. I would place that same bet here that there is not a poster here who has put his scope on an animal and always fired at it.

Everyday Hunter
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Keep handicapping yourself if you wish. Good luck....

You knew the responses you'd get starting a thread about your personal, solitary hunt "strategy" for no apparent reason.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
GregW,

Keep handicapping yourself if you wish. Good luck....

I have spotting scopes. But they don't fit in with the place I hunt. Thanks for the good wish.

You knew the responses you'd get starting a thread...

You flatter me. I honestly thought there would be agreement with me about the PC baloney. I am also convinced when the posters are face to face they would say the same thing about PC.

Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Some folks shouldn't be allowed to purchase a hunting license!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ringman

I have spotting scopes. But they don't fit in with the place I hunt.

How is it that spotting scopes "don't fit in" where you hunt but a hubble on your rifle does?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
How is it that spotting scopes "don't fit in" where you hunt but a hubble on your rifle does?

It is quite simple. It is mostly woods with some open areas. From one ridge to the other is maximum about 300 yards. The Leupold VX-6 4-24X52 rifle scope weighs less than 23 ounces. And it is attached to the rifle. There is no need to carry a tripod on which to install it for use. Two seasons ago if I had taken time to get out a spotting scope to verify the buck had four points on both side, after first seeing it with the binos, it would have been gone. As it was I merely turned up the scope (later discovered to be on 12X at the shot). As soon as I saw it was what I wanted I squeezed the trigger. Even then it went out of sight at the shot. It was in a clearing for about ten to twelve seconds.

The lightest spotting scope I have with small tripod weighs 57 ounces and would be carried in the backpack. I would have to find a rock or log or something else on which to set the small tripod. With that condition I might not be in a place to check out the place I wanted to check. If I was going to hunt wide open spaces I would take a spotting scope; with a tall tripod, not the small one. I have proven beyond a doubt with side by side comparisons that even a cheap low power spotting scope is way better than an expensive high magnification rifle scope.

Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Regarding viewing optics. In Game in the Desert Revisited, JOC said, and this is in the updated 1977 section, "If he is on horseback he can carry his binoculars in saddlebags, and if he hunts sheep and antelope he can let the guide take care of them. .... When a man hunts on foot and alone, he can depend upon his rifle 'scope."

It is said, it is written, it is so.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (204guy, 222ND, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 257 mag, 219 Wasp, 58 invisible), 1,874 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,249
Posts18,525,116
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.