Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If the max you can see or shoot is 300 yards, you don't need a hubble on you rifle. Unless you're Elmer Fudd.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If the max you can see or shoot is 300 yards, you don't need a hubble on you rifle. Unless you're Elmer Fudd.

Apparently I am. The deer with four points on both sides was only 88 yards away. It was still a little dark at 8:15 AM because I hunt the west side of the hill. Also there was total overcast with just a hint of fog. But I have discovered from many side by side comparisons with other guys that I usually need as much as a third more magnification to see the same thing through optics. And yet the optometrists tests my corrected vision at 20/15.

As recently as yesterday my son-in-law said,
"There's a deer." In about three seconds I said,
"I see it." Then he told me,
"There are only two guys who can find what I am talking about that fast. You and cousin Rick."

I think "cousin Rick" is in a game spotting league above son-John and me, though. He is more like Shannon who uses 7X binos to judge antlers 2 miles away.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Didn't see that coming?
[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Get a good spotter and make room for it in your pack.....you'd be surprised how much more game you'll find. I can't imagine scanning difficult glassing terrain with a rifle scope. Zero chance of ever "scoping" someone with a spotter as well.

Couldn't agree more

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
20/15 and need a Hubble for 300 yards and in, got it.

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted By: scenarshooter
Get a good spotter and make room for it in your pack.....you'd be surprised how much more game you'll find. I can't imagine scanning difficult glassing terrain with a rifle scope. Zero chance of ever "scoping" someone with a spotter as well.

Couldn't agree more

I agree. Most folks do.

Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If someone has me in there rifle scope I take that as a major threat and I will proceed to defend my life.

The good news is if you accidentally shoot me you won't go to prison for a hunting accident.

The other good news is if I shoot you for glassing me it was nothing more than an accidental discharge.

Carry On

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I wonder if I'm the only one that has tried to give the benefit of the doubt - and this thread removed all?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe you boys didn't notice the part were I posted about finding game with the binos and then deciding, first if they were legal and second, if I want to shoot or not by taking a closer look. I even gave three examples.

Lots of folks here are like the good people of Ferguson, Mo. They make up their minds and then look at the facts of the case. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
After reading some of the responses on this forum on this topic it has given me a complete understanding of why people feel the need to buy clothing like this.

[Linked Image]

CR

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Wow! I too slip behind trees and rocks when walking out of the woods. Seen animals shot over a hunter stalking same animal. If I saw the stalking hunter the shooter had to have seen the same. Being between an animal and a shooter can be very scary. Scopes narrow FOV adds to the problem.
Never had a problem identifing a game animal and its quality with my binos and try to take notice of other hunters in or about my hunting area. With most hunters wearing cammo during rifle season makes this even harder. JMO

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Bare eyeballs for these are plenty good:

[Linked Image]Kanbk2012 by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

Even birds know not to land downwind!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nice.....

Once, I mounted my rifle to my shoulder to look down the barrel and get a better look at a buck's horns. But then I realized that with iron sights, the view didn't improve any.

Happy New Year!!!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ringman, perhaps I'm confused as to what you are getting at. I thought in another thread you made the claim that you used neither bino's or a spotting scope.....just the Hubble on the rifle.

Now it appears in this thread sometimes you use bino's but I'm under the impression that sometimes you pack only the rifle with scope to do all glass work.

Could you please clarify.

Thanks
Shod

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
To be fair to Ringman, here is what he said to open the thread:

Originally Posted by Ringman
I use my binoculars to find things and use my rifle scope to make sure I want to shoot.

Seems that if you have a decent set of binos, and you're already on the animal, the need to use a rifle scope to see if you want to shoot would be minimized.

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You have read many posts by internet bullies who have posted that about me. I figure they have some kind of problem. Either with reading or some kind of mental disorder.

There are times when the only thing I carry is the binos. I find it very much fun to find game before I am discovered by them. That means I often have to search the nearby woods with the binos.

This post will not change their minds.

Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Ringman
You have read many posts by internet bullies who have posted that about me. I figure they have some kind of problem. Either with reading or some kind of mental disorder.

There are times when the only thing I carry is the binos. I find it very much fun to find game before I am discovered by them. That means I often have to search the nearby woods with the binos.

This post will not change their minds.

Thank you for the clarification Ringman....

I have absolutely zero problem with what one uses for a scope if its not used to verify what one sees which may or may not be another hunter.

Hope you have a great new year. laugh

Sincerely
Shod

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
smokepole,

Seems that if you have a decent set of binos, and you're already on the animal, the need to use a rifle scope to see if you want to shoot would be minimized.

You are correct for most of hunting. If you don't mind, read the three examples I gave. No matter how good your 7X or 8X binos they would not work in the scenarios. I compared a $2,340 Swarovski 8.5X binoculars with a 10X Tasco scope and the Tasco won for showing the most detail. When something reaches its limit, it has reached its limit. When something is good enough it is good enough.

In two of the examples above I was using a Swarovski z5 scope and still needed to turn it to 12X in the first case and 25X in the second case. Minimization doesn't work there.

As far as the beautiful buck pictured above, and it is spectacular, almost no one with even 10X binos would have been able to see if it had a broken eye guard or maybe a tip broken off. Give the same person a 16X or 18X or 20X or in my case a 24X scope and they would have a much better chance of seeing the defect.

Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
When I was young I carried neither binos or a spotter. I didn't own any. My father never used them so I knew nothing of their utility. My eyesight was good enough that I never found myself surprised when the scope fell on the target.

Later I started using binos and realized that my eyesight had started to change and indeed I could see better and judge better. Still more time has passed and I now need higher quality and higher magnification to see the same things.

I rarely used a spotter in the field except when hunting very open areas. Where I live now it's so thick you rarely find shots far enough to justify a scope at all. Unless of course you are shooting across canyons; that's a whole different subject.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 15 invisible), 1,819 guests, and 996 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,630
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.