Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Cut rifled barrels are the current fad.
20 years ago buttoned rifle barrels were the fad.
When done and chambered with care ,both are equal and would exceed the normal shooters ability to tell the difference.
Results from the Original Pa 1000 yard BR club show it.
Anyone saying different is pretty full of themselves
Hammer forged barrels are typically used on production rifles.To save money.Im not saying they cant be dammed fine barrels.But just looking at the process of hammer forging.Your asking for alot.
Never heard of anyone usuing a hammer forged barrel as short or long range BR rifle.Or a high end custom for that matter.
dave

Good post Dave. This is exactly right. Fads come and go. There are great barrels and bummer barrels made by everyone. But hammer forged? They are not match grade in any way, they are cheap to make, production.

We used to believe in blood letting too SCIENCE is not made up [bleep]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Frankly, the quality of the tooling and the expertise of the operator, have far more to do with the quality and accuracy of the barrel than does the method of rifling. I've seen a number of pronouncements here that hammer forged barrels are "cheap" barrels. If one amortizes the cost of the machinery necessary to produce such barrels, they are anything but cheap.The cost of the necessary machinery to produce hammer forged barrels start at in excess of a million bucks and go up from there. A mandrel for a specific cartridge and twist rate cost around $1500 twenty years ago. I have no idea what they cost these days, probably at least double, if not more.

Some of the most consistently accurate barrels that I've owned were hammer forged. Given the same level of care and precision by the operator, and the same quality of the equipment, I doubt there is anyone alive that could tell the difference in a top quality barrel produced from any of the rifling methods.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Yes just do a search. This has been thrashed to death.

Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Originally Posted by rembo
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
This has been beat to death, do a search

And 99 out of 100 shooters would never see a difference....maybe 100 out of 100

Although you will get lots of opinions.....

This is going to be good.

Hog wash.........

Hogwash is someone claiming they can tell how a barrel was rifled by shooting it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The next custom you build you can just pop over to europe and bring one back.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Mirror finish vs not.

Look in Hart, Lija, Shilen Select match, Krieger, etc barrels and they are mirror like accurate reflections when illuminated with fiber optic cable and observed under magnification.

I had a Hart that had that super high gloss finish.Very accurate.
I have two Obymeyers in 30 cal. The finish is more of a satin.
My first Obymeyer has 2059 rounds on it and doesnt look awhole lot different than when new. ie It takes longer to clean it now. That it takes longer to clean is about the only thing different. I would have expected it to look alot different .But it doesnt.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
a newbie smith without decent training can jack up the best barrel in the world.

So in the end the barrel has a great amount of dermination as to if the gun can shoot, but there are so many other things involved.. a good crown, stress relieved or not, and if it's chambered aligned with the bore or not....

one thing in common though, is that the custom guns tend to be made of the best parts, and tend to shoot better.

Hand lapping can fix a problematic barrel, but I'd rather start with good stock barrels - cut that is.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
As the others have said, hammer forged is for cheap high volume mass manufacturing. Hammer forged barrels are always bottom of the barrel although an occasional one might shoot really well.

Between cut rifling and buttoned it's a tossup. As Dave says, the current fad is cut rifling but I don't believe anyone can statistically show that cut barrels are any better than buttoned. You'll hear guys make statements like they won't use a buttoned barrel if it's light, etc. but there's really no rational basis behind that thinking.

No, just empirical data.

Pulling a button through a barrel induces a lot more stress than shaving grooves one ten thousandth at a time. Consequently, the thin cut rifled barrels are mostly stress free and will shoot good hot or cold if they are going to shoot at all. I have seen button rifled barrels that really go wonky when heated up. It doesn't seem to affect the heavier ones as much.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
When done and chambered with care ,both are equal and would exceed the normal shooters ability to tell the difference.
Results from the Original Pa 1000 yard BR club show it.
Anyone saying different is pretty full of themselves
Hammer forged barrels are typically used on production rifles.To save money.Im not saying they cant be dammed fine barrels.But just looking at the process of hammer forging.Your asking for alot.
Never heard of anyone usuing a hammer forged barrel as short or long range BR rifle.Or a high end custom for that matter.
dave

Good post Dave. This is exactly right. Fads come and go. There are great barrels and bummer barrels made by everyone. But hammer forged? They are not match grade in any way, they are cheap to make, production.

We used to believe in blood letting too SCIENCE is not made up [bleep]

Made up? How? You seem to be completely sold on a cut barrel, and where is the science in that? How can anyone scientifically prove a cut barrel is more accurate than a button barrel. You can't and you know it. What you are doing is trying to spread your OPINION in a manner which is not shared by others.

The worst barrel I ever onwned was a cut barrel made by the biggest cut maker in this country. I've also had a number of excellent barrels from the same. The same thing can be said for button. Both good and bad. There is NO certainty.

Last edited by WayneShaw; 12/27/14.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

One big reason custom barrelmakers don't use hammer-forging is the initial cost of the machinery.

This

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My question is this....when it comes time to spend $300-$400 bucks on a barrel, and another (what?) $200-$$350 for installation, what barrels are guys buying?

Also for the avid match shooters, what barrels do they see on the lines most often?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
When done and chambered with care ,both are equal and would exceed the normal shooters ability to tell the difference
+1. Had a buddy in Florida that owned a Custom golf store, I once asked him what golf clubs were most popular? He said 'whatever Tiger Woods is using'.

Last edited by slg888; 12/27/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dave, I pretty much did just that. The current rifle I have in the works has a Lothar
Walther barrel which I got from Ralf Martini who got it from Europe. It is a button rifled barrel however, and not a hammer forged one. It is chambered for the 9.3x64 Brenneke cartridge. I have another Lothar Walther barrel on one of my 9.3x62 customs, also button rifled. It shoots lights out and I expect the 9.3x64 will do the same. I have several rifles with cut rifled bores by Danny Pedersen. They are all excellent. As I wrote earlier, I believe it is the skill of the maker and the quality of the tooling that is mostly responsible for the quality of the finished barrel.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by slg888
When done and chambered with care ,both are equal and would exceed the normal shooters ability to tell the difference
+1. Had a buddy in Florida that owned a Custom golf store, I once asked him what golf clubs were most popular? He said 'whatever Tiger Woods is using'.

I see it even at the local level, at one local club there are a couple of guys who are more successful and the other shooters copy their equipment. One of those guys is home smith and he chambers adams and bennet barrels and because he can shoot well and places well there are a couple of other guys that shoot the A&B barrels copying him. They are probably the only A&B shooters in the world.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
My question is this....when it comes time to spend $300-$400 bucks on a barrel, and another (what?) $200-$$350 for installation, what barrels are guys buying?

Also for the avid match shooters, what barrels do they see on the lines most often?

According this list it looks like a toss up between Broughton and Kreiger.

http://www.pa1000yard.com/results/r...p;showshoots=No&tops=No&topct=10

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
RD yeah it seems that way. Interesting. Broughtons are button rifled right?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yep. Pull buttoned as said on their website.

Last edited by mathman; 12/27/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty sure they are button rifled.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tom,

As I mentioned earlier, and as you well know, Americans aren't as demanding as Europeans (especially Germans) when it comes to factory rifle accuracy. But an average German factory rifle will usually shoot as well as the typical rebarreled, restocked Remington 700 now considered a "custom" over here. My present .300 Winchester Magnum is a Heym SR-21 that shoots better than any of the other .300 WM's I've owned over the decade, including two American customs. It has one of those schittdy hammer-forged barrels. A lot of Americans also rave about how well Tikkas shoot, and they also have HF barrels.

Ruger is getting pretty good at hammer-forging barrels these days, one of the reasons their cheap American Rifles normally shoot so well. Most people looking through a bore-scope would be hard-pressed to tell the difference between the inside of many Ruger barrels and various lapped custom barrels these days.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All,

An observations, When I first started reloading (in the early 70s) I would read a lot of the books my dad had collected from the "olden days". Back when button rifling was getting it's start, It was the "Black Science". A statement from that time, "Anyone can pull a button through a pipe".

And a Question, If someone wanted to buy a Hammer Forged barrel for a custom build (not a factory take off) are there any available? And if so at what cost compared to the cut and button customs?

8mmwapiti

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John,

Ain't it the truth. Strange you should mention your Heym .300 Win mag. My current .300 Win mag is one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned or ever hope to own for that matter. It shoot far better than my tired old eyes can. My son shoots it consistently in the .2s. It's barrel is an E.R.Shaw that folks are constantly bitching about. It is button rifled of course, but still not normally held in high esteem. Score another point for expertise and tooling.

Hope Santa left a Purdey under your tree. TT

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 163bc, 1234, 17CalFan, 62 invisible), 2,276 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,995
Posts18,499,956
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.