Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
110 243 # 11,xxx fits in a factory stock correctly, cut checkering

[Linked Image]

110 22-250 # 58,xxx, 32-S date code 1965, stamped checkering stock was relieved to accommodate this trigger assembly and safety button. Can you help me identify do I have a later trigger that was retrofitted, an aftermarket trigger, model change??? I am dropping the later 22-250 into an earlier cut checkered stock and need to relieve some wood. Can anyone identify what I've got here? I appreciate the help.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Fireball2; 12/24/14.

LOL
GB1

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
FB2, You have if you will a pre 1963 or 64 trigger and a post that era trigger. Somewhere in that year range Savage started changing their 110 rifles from cut checkering walnut stocks and the trigger in your top photo to the impressed checkering hardwood stocks plus a couple of other changes and the trigger in your bottom photo. Pretty much to reduce cost of manufacture. I have seen a few what I would call transition rifles that had some of the old and new features in one rifle. If I read you right the safety knob you refer to is the bolt release knob. Both triggers should have the safety on the tang just behind the bolt. Was told at one time by Savage the two trigger would not interchange took their word for it and never tried. The old style trigger has very limited adjustment while the newer style can be worked into a good trigger. Re-read your post and sorry about the safety comment as I see the need for wood removal to allow the swap never tried to put a newer rifle into an older stock either.

Last edited by quarterboredave; 12/25/14. Reason: Apoligize for poor reading comprehension.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Brain fart, yes- not the safety, it's the bolt release as you say. Just not used to these 110's yet.

Is 1965 the year of transition? Pre-66.

The lower photo, 22-250, with the newer trigger, also has a pressed checkered stock, so you'd think the transition was complete and as it should be, but the stock was originally sized for the older, smaller trigger. It looks like someone gouged it out for the newer trigger assembly with a claw hammer.

Thanks for the correction on the safety and bolt release.

LOL
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
The last rifle I have seen from the transition period is a left handed 22-250. It has most of the changes incorporated, the pressed checkering stock, no barrel boss for the rear sight, blind magazine and aluminum trigger guard. It also has the new extractor on the bolt head, But has the old trigger. The gentleman that has this rifle does not remember exactly when he purchased it new, but does know it was in the very early sixty's. From what I've seen I would think the transition was most likely complete by 1966. I joined the USAF that year and quit working for the little gunsmith shop so kind of lost touch with what was going on with Savage at the time.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Dave I really appreciate your insight. I am getting very little information other than yours and a piece here and there I can pick up by observation.

When you say the "old style trigger" on the LH 22-250, do you mean the oldest style I have on my 243 or the larger, newer style on my 22-250?

LOL
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
In my Savage rifles I have yet to see a trigger as you have in the 243, upper photo.
I suspect it's Gen 1.

The lower photo of a 22-250 has the trigger I'm most familiar with and Dave's right, It can be tuned nicely, Gen. 2. Three screws.

The next generation, Gen 3. does not have an adjustment for sear engagement. Two screws. Current on non Accutrigger and Stevens?

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Colodog, thank you, that's a leap I was pretty sure I could take safely, and you confirmed what I suspected. Generation 1,2,3. I'm only interested in these oldest 110's, so it's very useful info to me.

I wonder how the pressed checkered stock came to be wallowed out as poorly as it is on this 22-250? Surely the factory would never produce it as such. Here's the cut checkered stock I need to relieve and drop the 22-250 in. It was stripped, bleached, and stained but is unsealed at this point-

[Linked Image]

LOL
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
FB Thank goodness COLODOG came along with the gen 1,2,3 description for some reason my feeble mind couldn't come up with that. So yes I was referring to a gen 1 trigger with my old style comment. I do have one question for you. Is your walnut stock barrel channel inletted for the rear sight barrelboss that was common to the gen 1 rifles? If not, maybe there was some overlap with the stocks too.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
All the early cut checkered stocks I have, both long and short action, have the relief for the rear sight boss.

The pressed checkered stock on 22-250, #58,xxx, also has it. However, due to the claw hammer inletting job around the trigger and bolt release lever, I am guessing this stock was not original to #58,xxx rifle. I believe the trigger style is original to the rifle due to the machined flat on the side of the receiver where the bolt release lever rides being longer than the earlier 243 #11,xxx.

LOL
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The original style triggers are a booger to adjust to a low weight. I have one Savage that is Gen 1. I called Savage to see about upgrading to a Gen 2 trigger and they referred me to a retired Savage technician. He said that machining was required to convert and that I soon would have more money in the rifle than it was worth. My trigger is smooth but the sear engagement is not able to go low enough with the front mounted sear screw. I have thought of having a machinist make a screw of that thread size with a larger head.

Anyway, these rifles are so blooming accurate that they are worth fooling with. My 110L had been rebarreled to .25-06 before I bought it. It is accurate and has a good looking walnut stock. I will keep it as is. I also have a 1970s production 110CL with the 4 screw trigger that is also very accurate and the trigger on it was easy to tune.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, BALLISTIK, 10 invisible), 1,380 guests, and 789 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,502
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.