-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used tightgroup in about every other pistol, I can't imagine it not working well in .44.
I know it is a clean burner.

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I use Winchester Superfield and use Unique data for 210gr HPs. I also use Universal and get 1050 fps out of my 6" 629 power port.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Why buy a .44 mag for .38 loads? Like buying a .500 S&W to ask about 900 fps loads. You do not hunt game with those loads.
Get a revolver with a barrel! 12 yard guns are money tossed in the toilet.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by j2dogs
I have used tightgroup in about every other pistol, I can't imagine it not working well in .44.
I know it is a clean burner.

TiteGroup does indeed work fine in .44s. One of my favorites.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
Why buy a .44 mag for .38 loads? Like buying a .500 S&W to ask about 900 fps loads. You do not hunt game with those loads.

?

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by lastround

?

Ever find yourself having a quiet drink in a bar with friends and a guy with wild hair comes in and says he's going to kick everybody's ass?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just trolling, I guess to either feel important or to start an argument. I'm just not interested in what he says.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I bought some Green Dot once when I couldn't find Unique and have been using it for .44 mag plinking loads since. 7.5 gens under either 200 or 240 grn cast bullets works well.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

I don't understand the desire to download to 44vagina either, but I've noticed that there are lots of guys who like to brag about their big, macho 44 magnum without actually using it as such. Personally, I don't get it because they end up lugging around all that extra steel for nothing.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
@ bfrshooter; Why don't you put a clamp on that he-man mouth and attitude of yours and let Logger load his .44 Mag the way HE wants to? He has his reasons and they don't concern you. Perhaps he's looking for a HD load, and doesn't want any excess penetration,... Who knows? Why the hell should you care? It's his load preference, back off and leave it to him.

Logger; try 7gr. Green Dot; 6gr. Bullseye; or 6.5gr.Universal w/just about any 240gr. lead bullet/primer/MAG case you want/have for about 900FPS.
In SPL. cases, drop about a grain to grain/half for about 750-800 FPS +/-. These loads are about the same in both my SBH and Redhawk w/71/2 brls.(within 10 FPS).

Once you get comfortable with something along these velocities, you might feel like trying a 180gr. XTP w/31 gr. H-110in MAG cases(WW) and WLPM primers for 1700+ FPS (1758 chronoed @ 12' in the SBH)w/ Oehler 35P. OR.....200 XTP over 17gr. Blue Dot in MAG cases/standard primers(WW&WLP) for 1524 avg. again in both Rugers. These loads came straight from the manuals-- SPEER #10 and HORNADY-- and should be worked up to in your own guns.

As an aside, all the above loads have taken deer. The lead 240s at 15-20 yds.broadside from my stand, and the XTPs out to 65 yds.. All were/are still accurate in my Rugers. Work up the most accurate ones in yours and be happy. Don't let anyone discourage you in your search for whatever you choose, especially in the shooting fields. Good Luck and Happy Shooting.
WILL.

DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF:......IT'S ALL SMALL STUFF!
D@MN; I miss my meds.
THE WINDS OF TYRANNY HAVE SHIFTED. BETTER TIMES AHEAD.
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
lastround, Very well said!!! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
dla, most of us own vehicles that will exceed the posted speed limit, unless you perhaps you own a Chevy Volt!! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My problem is to buy a .44 mag and then want loads that feel like a .22. What was the gun bought for? It has not that much recoil with the hottest loads.
Dia says it right. Just what possessed a person to a .44 mag if he can't handle it?
My favorite now is the .500 JRH, killed 5 deer with it this year. Next is the .475 and I am 77 years old.
Load a .44 down! You have to be kidding. I bought my first in 1956 and a 429421 with 22 gr of 2400 was all I used. Don't stick Bulseye loads in my face. Girly men! I have had women shoot my .500 with no problems. A 440 gr at 1350 fps.
Can't shoot a .44? What the hell did you buy it for?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never mind. It's not worth the trouble.......

Doug
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The best thing about toning down the 44 is that it doesn't have to deafen you to kill a deer.

Its obviously going to arch the trajectory more and is going to make getting a lot of jacketed expanding bullets impossible to open as range increases and velocity impact goes down, so keep that in mind.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
lastround, I was told by an old man many years ago," There's two things that a man will lie about - their sex life and fuel mileage". I guess we can add the "big guns" they can comfortably shoot!!!!!! memtb

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M; My thoughts too(almost)...Was going to reply as such, but didn't want him to feel[GAS-TRATED].(no misspelling)
WILL.

DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF:......IT'S ALL SMALL STUFF!
D@MN; I miss my meds.
THE WINDS OF TYRANNY HAVE SHIFTED. BETTER TIMES AHEAD.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been shooting 41 and 44 Magnums for close to 40 years and for a lot of those years shot nothing but full power loads, both with 240 gr. and 300 gr. jacketed bullets or a 250 gr. cast bullet in my 44s. That was true until seven or eight years ago when I got smart enough to figure out that a reduced load (950 to 1050 fps) with the same cast bullet was a lot more fun for plinking cans, rocks, and other targets of opportunity. I still shoot full power loads in my 44 Mags on occasion (if I feel like it) and that too is MY decision. I will also say at this juncture that my reduced loads will also kill any animal that I choose to hunt with a handgun, up to and including whitetail deer. I do this with guns that I have bought with my own money and have every right to do with as I please.

I don't mind admitting that the 44 Magnum is my limit as far as handguns go, with no desire to go any farther up the scale. I also have no use for the Internet trolls on here who cowardly get a nut off bragging about their unproven abilities and calling others by whatever name their imagination allows just to either feel better about their own ineptness, or to start an argument that has no meaning to anyone but themselves. All I'm gonna say..

Doug
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by lastround
I have been shooting 41 and 44 Magnums for close to 40 years and for a lot of those years shot nothing but full power loads, both with 240 gr. and 300 gr. jacketed bullets or a 250 gr. cast bullet in my 44s. That was true until seven or eight years ago when I got smart enough to figure out that a reduced load (950 to 1050 fps) with the same cast bullet was a lot more fun for plinking cans, rocks, and other targets of opportunity. I still shoot full power loads in my 44 Mags on occasion (if I feel like it) and that too is MY decision. I will also say at this juncture that my reduced loads will also kill any animal that I choose to hunt with a handgun, up to and including whitetail deer. I do this with guns that I have bought with my own money and have every right to do with as I please.

I don't mind admitting that the 44 Magnum is my limit as far as handguns go, with no desire to go any farther up the scale. I also have no use for the Internet trolls on here who cowardly get a nut off bragging about their unproven abilities and calling others by whatever name their imagination allows just to either feel better about their own ineptness, or to start an argument that has no meaning to anyone but themselves. All I'm gonna say..
Good, you're kind of a gasbag anyway....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the shoe fits..........

Last edited by lastround; 01/04/15.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1337Fungi, 52 invisible), 2,275 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,769
Posts18,476,780
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.