Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by EdM
I cannot believe that anyone would pay $20 for a pair of socks. smile

The middle class is shrinking because everybody is spending their money on over priced socks...(grin)

Momma got me some kirkland signatures for christmas. I think it was about $5 a pair. Not bad.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've got some Bridgedale light trail and trail hikers that are worth every penny of the 20 bucks I spent on them.

I wear them while hiking, hunting and fishing in cold weather, and I'll gladly pay 20 bucks for more of them.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Switched to these this year...best socks ever!!! Czech Cold Weather Socks

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
USA made Fox River wool socks have been my choice even before "Merino" became vogue. I wear the lightweight, mediumweight and heavyweight where appropriate on a year around basis.

One sock I would not recommend is Maggie's Killington Hikers. My son's girl friend gave me a pair for christmas a couple of years ago. They did not last 6 months. Bless her heart she meant well.

I machine wash inside out and line dry.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SmartWool, Darn Tough and Kirkland. I wear wool socks year round and good ones are worth it me.

I just got the Kirkland socks about 2 months ago and so far I'm happy with them but time will tell how well they hold up

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Go to Sierra Trading Post's website and fill your cart with their smartwool seconds, I'll guarantee you can't tell the difference and they're usually about $12-13. If you look around the web you can just about always find a STP 30% off coupon code. Throw that at it and now the $20 socks are $8-9 a pair.

The smartwool socks are great and the thing I like best is that I can find XL's that actually fit my size 13 feet. No more trying to squeeze my feet into socks made for midgets.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
My favorite midweight wool blend socks are 70s vintage U.S. military socks. The ones I had were 50/50 wool/cotton, cushion sole. They didn't make my feet sweat, didn't stink, and wore like iron. The fact that they were free made them that much better.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Are you guys talking cold weather socks?

I think I need some good work socks as I'm on my feet all day. I started doubling up socks a long long time ago but thus thread got me think about better tougher socks. I would probably still double up and we have warm weather here so I don't need warm socks. Just the some really comrfortable socks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got a gift certificate from work one year for Christmas that was redeemable at a number of online retailers, Cabela's being one of them. I think it was for $50.00 if I remember right. I got two pair of heavy duty, higher end wool socks and two pair of the poly inner-socks. That was 20 years ago and I'm still using all four pair every fall and winter. Socks is something I just don't scrimp on. Get a couple good pair for cold weather and you'll have them a very long time.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by immature
My favorite midweight wool blend socks are 70s vintage U.S. military socks. The ones I had were 50/50 wool/cotton, cushion sole. They didn't make my feet sweat, didn't stink, and wore like iron. The fact that they were free made them that much better.

I still have three pairs of mine from the late 80s. Still wear them. Crazy how durable those things were. Don't think they're the same anymore. Bought some at a surplus store a few years ago and they really sucked

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lazi
Are you guys talking cold weather socks?

I think I need some good work socks as I'm on my feet all day. I started doubling up socks a long long time ago but thus thread got me think about better tougher socks. I would probably still double up and we have warm weather here so I don't need warm socks. Just the some really comrfortable socks.

get some darntough merinos, i work in nuke plants ,and a lot of the places im at are HOT, like 130 degres hot, they are the only socks that keep my feed comfortable, its amazing how well they wick sweat away.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought some of the Kirkland trail socks at the beginning of last winter, and I am really surprised at how well they are holding up. Their dress socks suck big time, and wear out in a matter of weeks.

For a thin wool sock, I actually like the Polo wool dress sock. Also very, very tough, but not at all cheap.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Try some Dahlgren Alpaca wool socks I prefer them over Smartwool!

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Looking at wool socks selling for 20 bucks, and more, I have to wonder if they are even close to being worth it?

What's the word?

if you think 20 bucks is too much, just buy one of them

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Haven't worn any socks but Smartwools for nearly 20 years including during the summer months--except recently I got a pack of Kirklands as a gift.

Don't see or feel any difference except the price.

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ever notice most socks are made in USA?..
Good wool socks are worth it.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BassPro sells Redhead socks with a lifetime quarantee.

Got a pair 5 years ago for about $10 and they are still going strong.

Overall ... after 5 years most of my socks are going out with the trash.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
This.^^^. Now $11 merino lifetime gurantee.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 204guy, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 57 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,306
Posts18,487,165
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.