Hop To
Page 6 of 24 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 23 24
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Hey rcamuglia, how old are you?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
If one were to ask a skilled 3 gun competitor the same regarding 6x magnification, with shots ranging from muzzle to 450-500 yards, they'd tell you that 6x is plenty to hit the average target which is 8-12 inches.

All I know is, I have no trouble centering the crosshairs of a 6X on a 12" target at 550 and hitting it. And I'm not what you'd call a highly-skilled marksman.

My wife, daughter, college buddies of my son, my 79yr old father that hasn't shot a rifle in 10years, etc., don't have any problem hitting 12" steel at 500yds w/ 6x - in a lightweight rifle - even from prone off a backpack (except my dad, he wasn't laying down to shoot...)

David

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
When I'm 79, I won't shoot prone either. Hopefully.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Higbean
Hey rcamuglia, how old are you?

Old enough

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Mr. formy,

You've posted plenty on the site and tried to present yourself as a guy who really knows a lot about optics and long range shooting. I've yet to see any evidence.

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
rcamuglia
There is a difference between arguing that a deer can be killed at 600 yards with a 6X scope, and saying that a 6x scope is the best scope for long range shooting. I am not a long range shooter, but if I am going to shoot groups at 300 yards, I prefer a scope of higher magnification. But, I do know that if necessary, a 6X scope can be used to hit things a long way away. A good shot with a service rifle wearing iron sights can keep most of his shot in the 6 inch X ring at 600 yards. Think what he could do with a 6X scope.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm up for a 6x/100 yard/1 MOA target challenge.....

For cash

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Mr. formy,

You've posted plenty on the site and tried to present yourself as a guy who really knows a lot about optics and long range shooting. I've yet to see any evidence.

Feel free to tear apart what I've written in this thread about 6x scopes. How is it that all those 3 gunners crush 8 and 10 inch flash targets out to 500 yards from really crappy positions while being timed, but a LR competition shooter believes they are only good for coyotes at 200? Could it be because his experience is all based on dedicated LR guns..?

Say... How are those Leupolds doing that failed exactly like I said they would...?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I hate fixed 6x riflescopes..... and that was all I ran for about 10 years when I was a kid. Old Weaver K6 for $99.00.... those things were tough. I killed plenty of coyotes and a couple deer with them... some way out there.... but that was before rangefinders too. These days, I'd much rather have a quality 3-9x.... or even a fixed 10x... but I can understand how folks wanna keep it simple.

Fixed 6x.... pretty great on a sporting rifle.... pretty schitty at a sporting rifle match.... kinda ironic.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fixed 6x.... pretty great on a sporting rifle.... pretty schitty at a sporting rifle match.... kinda ironic.

Not really.

One bunch knows something and the other very little

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Would your 'hunting'... meaning actual killing of schitt... suffer much if you were forced to shoot a fixed 6x piece of glass? How?

I know it wouldn't have much.... if any... effect on my opportunities or ability to kill critters, especially big game.

I love pounding steel.... you know that... and I know my hits on the 12" plates out past 500-600 would suffer. But that's on steel... on shots I would only take one time in a hundred to punch a tag. Real world.... being forced to go 6x wouldn't change my 'hunting' much at all..... but it would effect my steel ego a bit.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by SAKO75
on deer sized game,,,how far have you had success?

Past 600 on deer. Including other things with 8-10in vitals... Around 800m with 1-4x's.

I don't use and never have used 6x scopes because they are the best for long range. Rather every choice is a compromise, and for a long time they made a lot of sense for most hunting. Namely fixed 6x Leupolds were the only $300 scopes that were reliable enough and had enough magnification for hunting out to around 600 yards. They still are. Except that the 6x SWFA's are better still.

As far as how far... It depends. On 8-10 in targets- deer, under good conditions i.e.- good lighting, decent presentation, etc. 600 yards give or take is comfortable. Under low light, drizzling with terrain that matches the color of animals- 400 +/- may be pushing it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Would your 'hunting'... meaning actual killing of schitt... suffer much if you were forced to shoot a fixed 6x piece of glass? How?

I know it wouldn't have much.... if any... effect on my opportunities or ability to kill critters, especially big game.

I love pounding steel.... you know that... and I know my hits on the 12" plates out past 500-600 would suffer. But that's on steel... on shots I would only take one time in a hundred to punch a tag. Real world.... being forced to go 6x wouldn't change my 'hunting' much at all..... but it would effect my steel ego a bit.

It should be just the opposite.

Hits on steel, other than when the chips are down in competition, matter not...

The precise delivery of a payload on a living animal to result in a humane kill is paramount.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like a 6x42 for hunting, because I hunt by myself in the mountains quite a bit. The large FOV ( and coupled with lower recoiling cartridges) makes spotting hits and misses quite a bit easier, for me personally. I would have no problem turning a variable down to 6x solely for the purpose of spotting my shot.

Tanner

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Probably right

I'm sure there's plenty more misses to spot on 6x than the precisely placed impacts shot from a scope on the appropriate, higher power.

smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Probably right

I'm sure there's plenty more misses to spot on 6x than the precisely placed impacts shot from a scope on the appropriate, higher power.

smile

Whatever you say, hombre.... You've got it all figured out...

Tanner

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

It should be just the opposite.

Hits on steel, other than when the chips are down in competition, matter not...

The precise delivery of a payload on a living animal to result in a humane kill is paramount.

So how would it change your hunting success?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't single me out. There's plenty of others that do as well.

Ya ought to come shoot the SRM sometime with Josh. There's plenty of targets 500 and in. In fact, most of them are. It would be fun for me to see how the course would be shot with a scope set at 6 the entire time.

I've never fired a shot at a target on the course with less than 15X dialed in including a station shot from sticks where the longest plate is 390 yards

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did Ya' notice the part about "solo, mountain hunting"? I never extolled the virtues of a 6x on static steel targets, for use in a match involving heavy rifles and high magnification scopes... Because I wouldn't shoot a 6x at one...

Tanner

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It would be fun to see the course shot with an actual hunting rifle, say sub-9lbs... off the pack...no Kestrel.... no range card.... glass'em, range'em, bang'em.... under your 4min hard-deck.

Mine was the closest I saw to anything resembling a 'hunting' rifle.... it wore fixed 12x.... and weighed 9.3lbs. I know..... a 'hunting' rifle is what it is, and if you can pack it you can pack it.... just saying a squad of 8-9 guys running 'hunting rigs' for a $20/ea side pot would be interesting.

Page 6 of 24 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

256 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 29 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,746
Posts18,495,188
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.