Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BC30cal
rockinbar;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope this finds you well on this last Sunday of 2014.

If I understand what we learned from the tech correctly, the more popular a site is, then the more it's apt to be targeted by infestations like these adware/malware bugs.

When I looked up how to rid this unit of that aforementioned "SoftCoupp" I was stunned to see how many there are out there.

What really baffles me is how they believe that anything being advertised in a popup is going to stimulate sales.

I've got to admit I can't remember all the items popping up, but I do know I'm going to attempt to not buy a couple items as long as I remember not to. wink

Anyway, I'm the least tech savvy guy in the world so please take that into account for sure and certain. All the best to you in 2015 sir.

Dwayne

Dwayne, Good morning, sir!

I don't see the ads because I have AdblockerPlus, but have gotten the malware from the ads because although the ad is blocked, the malware can still be transmitted, depending on their software.

The malware, pop-ups and such are from the ads themselves, and those placing the ads on the site. They are on this site because they are given a gateway to place ads they have paid for. The bottom line is that you cannot trust ad vendors to not infect your site with malware and pop-ups. As long as they have the key to the door, they will use it.

About the only thing you can do is what Rick does when we tell him specifically which ad is causing the issue. Then he Nukes that ad.

Sites that don't have this level of problems with their ads have way stricter policies on what type of ads can be placed on their website. They don't just give them the key to the door... wink

Being as most of us are running AdBlockPlus now, we don't see any ads at all... That can't be good for advertisers.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Five milk ads, a new record!

What's screwed, is the dammed frame pops over, so a click, like on an onscreen keyboard or opening another forum, whatever, becomes a click on the frickin window with the ad, bammm you've been duped into opening a page you had no intention of, and bammm they own you!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So for the tech savy folks, I'm now using Spybot, McAfee, Adblock Plus and running on Chrome as a main browser with IE as a backup that's got Adblock Plus on it too.

Dwayne

Hi Dwayne (and others that my be interested):

One has to be careful about running more than one "real-time" antivirus programs like Spybot and McAfee. Each of them will try to scan every single file open or saved on your hard disk, sometimes causing big problems, but often just slowing things down. I'd run either McAfee or Spybot, not both.

However, there are 3 "programs" (more on the quotes at the end) I can recommend ADDING -- IF you have enough self-discipline (and I think you do!) to run them manually every week or so. They do NOT slow your computer down, and they are compatible with whatever real-time antivirus program that you are using.

1) Use FREE version of Malwarebytes. This scans your computer only when you manually start it (and since it does not update itself, you should update it manually before you run it).

This program does NOT run all the time: you update it, then scan your hard disk. It gets along with every "real time" anti-virus program I have tried.

Be careful in downloading -- and READ all those screens carefully! The info is there, but if you just keep clicking the defaults you will end up with a TRIAL version of their full program. Say no to all extra stuff, and even at the end you have to decline the trial version. The free one is just fine, and all you need if you can remember to update it manually and run it once a week!

This sounds worse than it is, so don't be scared off. smile The reason the company does this is that their free version is so good that few would bother with their paid-for version otherwise.

Anyway, the free version of Malwarebytes does NOT prevent you from downloading a virus (which is why you need something like McAfee).

However, the free version of Malwarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/ is REALLY good at cleanups. In fact, Symantec/Norton and several other antivirus companies used to recommended it to clean up an infected computer!

In short, download the free version of Malwarebytes, and once or twice a week update it manually and do a full scan of your computer.

2) download Spywareblaster http://www.brightfort.com/spywareblaster.html#Overview Update it manually, then enable all protection. It is not an antivirus program, so it gets along fine with antivirus programs. It modifies your Hosts file to prevent you from visiting (or an ad from visiting!) and infected website. This is passive protection (it does not keep running) so it too gets along with all other programs.

3) switch to OpenDNS
https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/opendns-ip-addresses/ Not a program, just reconfiguring your router or computer to use a known safe DNS. You can configure either your computer or router to use 2 safe DNS (IP Addresses 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 Do NOT be intimidated -- this is easy, and if you do it to your router, it will protect all the computers in your house! Just follow the step-by-step instructions (and write down the 2 DNS numbers that you have now in case you ever want to change back).

PM me with your phone number Dwayne and I'll be happy to phone and talk you (or your wife) though this.

John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
Many folks (self included) use android devices for which Ad Blocker cannot be used. Rick really needs to fix the problem on his end.

It's a FREE website for crying out loud.Deal with it.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Here's what I see in the ad column and it's about 2 1/2" wide.

Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
798 registered (17Hunter, 10gaugemag, 12savage, 1911a1, 91 invisible), 1933 Guests and 289 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
51454 Members
72 Forums
653984 Topics
9406122 Posts

Max Online: 4830 @ 12/01/14 06:45 PM
Support Our Sponsors 3
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

Never any ads. Just as wide as the calender.

Exactly, and I use Firefox and run a blocker.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Peter;
Good morning to you my cyber friend, hopefully you folks have been having a good Christmas holiday thus far and this finds you well.

I will say that I'm quite certain it was this site where I picked up a couple adware/malware contaminants that were tenaciously nettlesome to get out. One I can recall the name of was "SoftCoupp", but there were several more that resisted the usual means of removal.

Emphatically I was using Adblock Plus, but even it - according to the tech support folks that we needed to call in order to flush out my new Windows 8 unit - isn't what it "used to be" and some malware gets by it. Once the malware is in the unit, it does not seem to matter which browser one uses - Firefox, IE and Chrome all with Adblock Plus installed refused to work without so many popups I couldn't so much as read my email.

As my good wife, who is admittedly the brains of this outfit, was the one who talked to the tech and did the uninstalls I'm not exactly certain how to describe what she needed to do.

I believe we even tried the "Reset" mode and the adware stuck through that too.

Some cleaning up in the programs section was required as well as another area which I can ask when she's available.

Lastly this chap recommended we run Spybot which we installed after the flush out and it found over 700 unwanted pests that had entered this unit since we bought it in October......

We'd thought that the McAfee that we'd purchased would keep out adware/malware - but it doesn't keep it all out.

So for the tech savy folks, I'm now using Spybot, McAfee, Adblock Plus and running on Chrome as a main browser with IE as a backup that's got Adblock Plus on it too.

This all went really sideways on me on Christmas Eve and the flush was Boxing Day - so it's early days yet for me to crow about success too, too loudly.

Hopefully that was useful to you or someone out there this morning sir. All the best to you folks in 2015.

Dwayne

Hi Dwayne,

Merry Christmas to you as well my friend...

To be honest I had not considered Bigwhoop's problem as Malware related, but was thinking more of a config/set up issue..

I say that as I had a similar problem in the past, and it was (or appeared to be) a system setting at my end that some how got corrupted.. That said, I am far from technically minded on these matters, so who knows?

Regards,

Peter

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Operating on the squeaky wheel theory.

Given that so many people can view the Fire without a problem, I suspect the problem is at your end...

Given that SO many people who are having problems on THIS site have no problems anywhere else, I suspect the problem is on this site.

This has been going on for a long time. Rick has been repeatedly made aware of the problems��he either can't or won't fix it.

Thank you. No animosity intended here - just fix the damn problem. Its not happening on any of the other sites I am on.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
I should add that I spoke to Apple tech today at the mall and they said its the sites problem. Again, no ill will intended, just get it fixed.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bigwhoop: I assume there is something wrong with YOUR computer because 24hourcampfire is coming in loud and clear here with no problems what so ever.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A user shouldn't have to jump thru various hoops to use an internet forum that is open to all.

People here talk about the number of members who have left, how many new ones do you think Rick is going to pick up when the first time you visit you get this nonesense?

I don't know about Ricks host but most hosting sites for a small fee take care of all this and the admin (Rick) doesn't have to do all of this.

I assume Rick gets paid via click thru's which is how most sites work. If 100% of the people here run adblocker the campfire will disappear because there will be no click thrus. Sounds like a short sighted fix and a disaster in the long run.

Last edited by NathanL; 12/28/14.

Otto is my co-pilot.
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have adblocker. No ads. ..........

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by oregontripper
Chitz been wacked out on this end for awhile, starting when there were the Bullit Whisky ads top bottom and right. It wankered up my Firefox browser so bad I changed to Chrome and something is happening again. Whole page being swallowed from the right, to about half the screen... Sure a great site, just something buggered up with the code.

Same thing is happening on my Sony Google internet tv. The bad thing there is I can't download Ad blocker plus onto it like I did with my lap top. Truly sucks, to say the least...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On my computer Firefox 34.0.5 has the ad column that takes over half of the screen.

IE 11.0.9600.17501 and Chrome 39.0.2171.95 m do not have this problem.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I should add that I spoke to Apple tech today at the mall and they said its the sites problem. Again, no ill will intended, just get it fixed.

Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Bigwhoop: I assume there is something wrong with YOUR computer because 24hourcampfire is coming in loud and clear here with no problems what so ever.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Hmm...

Should I go with Apple tech guy on this one or guy who blames wolves for hunter being shot in face by slob/mob hunter cross-fire?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by wildbill59
I have adblocker. No ads. ..........

Just as a FYI - As effective as AdBlocker Plus seems to be there are methods that detect and deal with ad blockers effectivly as well should a website choose to go that route in order to maintain their advertising views.

http://broadstreetads.com/blog/detect-ad-blocker/

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by BigNate
Chrome user -Go to the top right of your screen, click on the three little bars, click settings, on the left side near the top click extentions, near the bottom of the page there's a button for "get more extensions" click it, search for adblock and ghostery. load these extensions, for adblock go to options, choose what you want it to block. Ghostery works similar. With these on you'll see almost nothing. Oh, delete all your history.

Thanks was able to do this from the PC and seems its was going to sinc over to the tablet and phone versions too. Hope it helps.

Extensions seem to have migrated to my phone and stopped the super screwyness. Only two milk ads now, and no frame resizing.

Oh wow. Set up Ghostery and now nada! It's nice when simple chit works. Now just get my stuborn arse to do stuff when first instructed... Thanks again BigNate!

Last edited by oregontripper; 12/28/14. Reason: OMG - MY CAMPFIRE IS SAVED!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Just checked with Apple Care again this early morning. We checked all the settings and preferences and everything is set properly. Techie said some change has been made to the website (a new ad contract?) and the issue is on that side.

In its present format, it is unusable. Hopefully Rick will take care of this.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 12/29/14.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just checked with Apple Care again this early morning. We checked all the settings and preferences and everything is set properly. Techie said some change has been made to the website (a new ad contract?) and the issue is on that side.

In its present format, it is unusable. Hopefully Rick will take care of this.

Are you phuggin serious?!?!?! You contacted Apple over this websites issues??? LMMFAO!!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Not having any issues on my Apple....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Using the latest Firefox w/ Adblocker Plus installed, Avast antivirus , been using same for 6-8 years and have never seen an add or had a problem with virus on this site .

Obama, busily making Jimmy Carter look smart UPDATE Sept. 2011!!! Jimmy has now achieved genius status ! UPDATE Sept 2013 !!! Jimmy has now achieved MENSA STATUS, Barry, not so much
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (7mm_Loco, 43Shooter, 260Remguy, 1badf350, 19 invisible), 17,303 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,879
Posts18,538,142
Members74,050
Most Online20,796

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.