Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by smokepole
Fastest growing demographic in shooting sports, sport.

Oh joy.

Some people just always want to look at the pot as half pissed-in.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've spent enough time around women to know that when you bring large numbers of them into the fold, really, really, really, really, really, really bad things start to happen. The exceptions to this rule are strip clubs, bordellos, kitchens, laundry rooms, and sweat shops.

But if it makes you feel good, by all means...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ingwe
And modest. Lets not forget that.

And handsome.

Travis

Its a curse some of us have to live under..... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
There will never be "large numbers" of them in the fold.

What makes me feel good is every new hunter who gets a license, male or female, and the fact that I helped them get it by volunteering my time.

What makes you feel good?.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

You might be sorry you asked him that..... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Stealing something from shrapnel and getting away with it.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Oh, I'm sure of it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You mean, like 22-250 ammo?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
ouch..... grin

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You mean, like 22-250 ammo?

No. That's all loaded for slow twisted garbage.

Travis

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by atse
A couple of observations. The quality of hunting equip. has increased 10 fold the last 20 years. In the same time period, the quality of the average hunter has decreased substantially as well. That is not to say that there are not good hunters out there, because there are. It is just that the percentage of good hunters has/is going down. Many young people (and adults) are ruled by the machines as well. Hunting is not an interest. As stated it has to be cultivated in children. My boys go with me all the time and are already good hunters with a passion for it. No video games, no machines, just lots of Montana country.

In my opinion, good hunters today are a helluva lot better than the good hunters of previous generations.

Like everything else in the past two decades, hunting has evolved at an incredible rate. Whether you're out west or back east, people that have a passion for hunting are more advanced than ever.

Travis

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
True dat.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by atse
A couple of observations. The quality of hunting equip. has increased 10 fold the last 20 years. In the same time period, the quality of the average hunter has decreased substantially as well. That is not to say that there are not good hunters out there, because there are. It is just that the percentage of good hunters has/is going down. Many young people (and adults) are ruled by the machines as well. Hunting is not an interest. As stated it has to be cultivated in children. My boys go with me all the time and are already good hunters with a passion for it. No video games, no machines, just lots of Montana country.

In my opinion, good hunters today are a helluva lot better than the good hunters of previous generations.

Like everything else in the past two decades, hunting has evolved at an incredible rate. Whether you're out west or back east, people that have a passion for hunting are more advanced than ever.

Travis

Define �better�.

Access to more technology? Sure.

Actual field prowess? Highly doubtful. I suspect a Jim Corbett or Bushman from Africa could pretty well outhunt about any living American. That true skill; becoming one with the environment, comes from living and breathing hunting and doing it all year. Especially when the alternative to being a good hunter is starving to death.

Last edited by prairie_goat; 12/29/14.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sometimes I think it has evolved too much.......

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
pg: I think what he is referring to is the overall picture. Todays hunter knows a whitetail scent marks with various glands, and needs habitat and nutrition etc to grow.They know their habits, and habitat. The same can be said of many other species.The past generations just knew if you sat on a stump long enough, one might run by...

On the minus side, todays hunters think you need uber-camo and scent free spray,a two tone grunt tube and a hubble scope to kill deer......

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
On the minus side, todays hunters think you need uber-camo and scent free spray,a two tone grunt tube and a hubble scope to kill deer......

Yup, blatant merchandising. I'd rather sit on a stump.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Define �better�.

Access to more technology? Sure.

Actual field prowess? Highly doubtful. I suspect a Jim Corbett or Bushman from Africa could pretty well outhunt about any living American. That true skill; becoming one with the environment, comes from living and breathing hunting and doing it all year. Especially when the alternative to being a good hunter is starving to death.

In regards to knowledge of the animals they're hunting. Fitness. Locking up habitat. Scouting habitat. Anything that can give you an edge, a modern hunter that is passionate now has that edge over previous generations.

I don't know any Jim Corbetts that require a whole lot of field prowess to survive their hunts. I'm talking about whitetails to caribou type of schit. It's evolved.

Travis

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I think hunters have diverged like every other category you can put a name to. The best hunters are incredible shots, have have more knowledge of conservation, biology and wildlife management than ever before, probably are in better physical condition, and devote more time and energy.
At the other end of the continuum, we have slob hunters that don't have a clue as to proper and safe gun handling, have absolutely no respect for the game animals, the land and habitat that supports those animals, don't care how many animals they gut shoot before they tag one and view hunting regulations as mere suggestions other people might want to pay attention to.
Unfortunately, one slob hunter can do more to destroy public relations in five minutes than 100 top hunters can bring about in a season of closing gates, picking up trash and generally being involved in the sport.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Royce
I think hunters have diverged like every other category you can put a name to. The best hunters are incredible shots, have have more knowledge of conservation, biology and wildlife management than ever before, probably are in better physical condition, and devote more time and energy.
At the other end of the continuum, we have slob hunters that don't have a clue as to proper and safe gun handling, have absolutely no respect for the game animals, the land and habitat that supports those animals, don't care how many animals they gut shoot before they tag one and view hunting regulations as mere suggestions other people might want to pay attention to.
Unfortunately, one slob hunter can do more to destroy public relations in five minutes than 100 top hunters can bring about in a season of closing gates, picking up trash and generally being involved in the sport.

Slob hunters are nothing new. Compare a slob hunter from today to a slob hunter from the 60's and you'll get the same thing.

Compare a passionate hunter from today to a passionate hunter from the 60's, and I think you'll find today's hunter is a bit more dedicated in every regard. Exceptions to everything of course, but by and large they've evolved.

Travis

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I dunno. I guess we�re talking about different things. Real killers are few and far between; I�ve only met a handful. The guys like Pat, for instance. Most people who hunt, even the dedicated ones, just aren�t that good. Because they need to be out there every day. Modern life precludes that sort of thing for the vast majority of hunters.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

342 members (06hunter59, 163bc, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 38 invisible), 2,065 guests, and 999 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,541
Posts18,531,236
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.