Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Got several that I've always wanted since childhood or young adulthood days. As a kid I always thought the Luger pistols were the coolest things. Even had a couple Luger squirt guns in the late'50's/early 60's. In 2002 I inherited the Luger one of my uncles brought home from Germany in 1945, along with his Marlin 30-30 lever gun which I always loved. Went through Parris Island in 1969 with an M-14, got myself a custom built M-1A on a Smith receiver in 1989 to cure the desire to shoot one again. Grew up around countless WWII vets who carried Garands and always wanted one; got it from DCM in the mid-90's. Wanted an SKS ever since they first appeared in the early 70's as Vietnam bring-backs; have accumulated 3 between 1995 and 2013; (2 Chinese and 1 Russian). Plus lots of old military bolt actions that I used to drool over in the 60's like various Mausers, Lee-Enfields, Mosins, etc.; (but nice ones; not the beat up well worn stuff I used to drool over). Plus being able to reload for just about any centerfire I own which is one of those things I've always yearned to do. Then there was that itch to someday get some sort of big 300. Got a Savage Mod. 10 in 300 WSM in 2004 (got my first Mule Deer in '06 with it). Fell in love with the .25-06 in the early '70's but never had one until 1997 and I regret waiting so long. Made the longest big game shot of my life (so far) with it on a nice antelope in 2003 at a little over 300 yds. So at age 64 (65 soon) it seems I've covered all the bases I wanted to cover but you never know when I might come across something I always wanted but forgot about.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jnyork
How many of you, in your later years, have bought a firearm just because it was the one you yearned for when you were a kid and never got, you have no use for it but just bought it for that reason?

Only a few times. Well, maybe a couple more......... whistle

As my best friend in high school would respond in those very optimistic days when asked to quantify something, "twenty or eighty."

And he became a mechanical engineer!?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I guess the only one I can think of is a Colt SAA. I would like to order a new one but that maybe impossible. As a second choice a new model Ruger Vaquero maybe what I get. That probably is a better choice.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I've always yearned for a model 88 Winchester, 308, with a 2.5- 8 Bausch & Lomb scope, the kind with the adjustable mounts. I knew a guy who had such an outfit when I was growing up. He had a set of mounts on his .22 as well and I was fascinated by how he could take that sight off one rifle and put it on the other and it would be sighted in.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Nylon 66

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Never.
Have bought every one on circumstance and availability. Even the builds have been after the need was there such as a worn out barrel, so I simply picked from the options.

I have owned 2 John Rigby's but even those popped up out of the blue and circumstance intervened.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How many of you, in your later years, have bought a firearm just because it was the one you yearned for when you were a kid and never got, you have no use for it but just bought it for that reason?

Yes .... many times and still want more grin

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
More than a few. I couldn't afford to buy them years ago but I can now and and since I don't begrudge her buying things for herself, my wife doesn't complain (at least not much). smile

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
George,

Being old enough to qualify for Social Security might be the closest definition of geezerhood--in America, anyway.

In that case I've had my "geezer club card" for about a month now..

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I am finding that the start date for a "geezer club card" is now get very close. With this also comes the comments from my wife that why would you want another gun don't you have enough. I think she suffers from OCD so I take this advice with a grain of salt.
O/U shotguns and black powder firearms seem to like my gun cabinet.

Hugh
IC B3

srp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm afraid the purchases are not limited to firearms...

A fool uttereth all his mind - Proverbs 29:11
P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My cousin owned a very nice sporterized 303 Enfield with 4X scope when I was a young preteen and I really envied him owning what seemed to me at that time to be an ideal deer rifle. How I wished I could own something like that someday.

Well... fast forward 50 years later and I own one almost exactly like that along with other rifles and have taken deer and hogs with it.

Now there's this rifle called a 30/30 Winchester Model 94 that I really had a passion for when I was young��.Hmmmm, maybe there's still time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yup, bought a .410 double yesterday..

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Odessa
Not a geezer (yet) but I've been expanding my battery of Browning Auto-5 shotguns cause I always liked them and never owned one until about five years ago. Got three now (a 16 gauge Belgian, and two Jap's a MAG TWELVE and a LIGHT TWELVE) and deciding between two candidates right now for my fourth (Belgian Light Twelve with MOD barrel). Then I'm going to add an older 20 gauge. What the hell will my kids do with all those Browning's? Not my problem!

Bought this like new Jap Light Twelve in mid November - IMP barrel - just right for early morning swamp hunting for Woodies.
[Linked Image]

thats funny, you and I buying the same thing. But mine because Dad used one when he was younger, the guy that had it died, and he could not afford the gun, but could buy the guy's model 12. I have that. And I have 3 or 4 A5s also. Just because.

Lucky for us, when Dad was still alive we bought him an A5 and shortly after I bought one for me, so we both could hunt with them at the same time.

For me, its a Colt Sauer rifle... couldn't afford it in high school. They are stupid high now, but really not so bad, and its kinda getting on my bucket list. For no reason...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have always held that a real American male should have at least one firearm for every year of his age.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Always admired my Dad's Weatherby MK V, and ended up getting one in .257
And always admired his Winchester 67 with the grooved fore end. Got one of those also.

And lusted for a Winchester 62A that a cousin had when we were kids. I have one now!(complete with Marbles tang peep sight)

But...I got all these before getting social security. (just signed up last month!)

Virgil B.

jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cra1948
I have always held that a real American male should have at least one firearm for every year of his age.

Sounds like a good start. wink

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dang I'm not a geezer yet I hope, but I also am glad I'm young enough to never been told to "grease my balls" before shooting

that was a great story RMulhern!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,575
Posts18,492,022
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.