Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Just got a SBH 5.5" bbl stainless model .44 mag. The traditional plow handle grip feels great. I tried the Bisley grip, but it just didn't feel as good to me.

My only issue with this new pistol is.... when I get a good solid grip on it, then cock it....the hammer spur cocks back far enough that it pushes into the web of my hand.

Not so much to keep it from fully cocking, but enough to notice.

Is there such a thing as changing the hammer out to one with a shorter cocking radius? The Bisley models seem to have a noticeably shorter hammer.

Can they be changed out? Any help would be appreciated.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Bisley is not a drop-in installation, it can be altered and installed, but I'm not sure that it will help your problem.

I am 99% sure that you can buy a normal Blackhawk hammer and simply drop it into the SBH. Do you have the same issue with a Blackhawk or Vaquero?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your best option is to install a BlackHawk hammer. Bisley hammer won't help if the SBH hammer is hitting your hand IMO. You either have large hands or you grip very high.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Huntingnut
Your best option is to install a BlackHawk hammer. Bisley hammer won't help if the SBH hammer is hitting your hand IMO. You either have large hands or you grip very high.

That's the odd thing....I don't have large hands, and my grip is only high enough to allow my pinky finer to remain on the grip. I actually tried shooting with my pinky tucked under the grip, but the stiff loads make that uncomfortable.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What I did on my .44 mag SBH with the 5-1/2" barrel was put oversize rubber grips on it. I think either Pachmayr or Hogue grips. In looking at the web sights it looks like I have Pachmayr grips. All the rubber grips are for the square trigger guard so you'll have to do some fitting.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks. I'd thought about adding new grips. Maybe that will help.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Were it mine I would pull it apart and trim the rear of the spur with a file or belt sander to shorten it. It shouldn't take much and if you're careful it won't even be noticeable unless you're really looking for it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My SBH has worn Pachmayers for many years, they lower your hand a bit and would almost surely solve your problem. Hogues would likely work the same.

ETA: Mine has the square back trigger guard, Pachmayers might not fit yours properly. Looks like Hogue claims theirs fits the SBH Hunter with the round trigger guard.

Last edited by Son_of_the_Gael; 12/31/14.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1936M71, 1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1lessdog, 54 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,527
Posts18,491,115
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.