Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
For instance, catch & release fishing is a much more acceptable pastime to non-outdoor folks.

I don't believe this is the case. I've never seen any hard data or even anecdotes to support this. In fact, I've read some opinions to the contrary, that it's more cruel to keep catching, handling, and releasing fish (with the resulting percentage of mortality) than to just kill them. And I'd much rather catch a wild 10-inch brookie from a back country stream than an 18-inch hook-scarred hatchery rainbow. It's just not the same.

Not to mention the fact that it's fishermen, not the non-fishing public, who push for and support catch-and-release. Because fishermen want to catch more and bigger fish, the same argument you're making for "C&R hunting."

Especially when many hunters can't seem to understand why a person would shoot something and not eat it. Maybe these are the same types who take home every fish they catch; still stuck in a 19th century conservation mindset?

Probably not an option for head to toe orange, sit in a treestand with a pump rifle land. The concept wasn't envisioned as such.

You know, the mark of a solid argument is one you can make without impugning the other guy's intelligence and/or motivation. You should try it some time.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by battue
Hunting is a blood sport. Anything else is observation.

IMO, killing with respect for the game and past traditions will play a major part in our future.

I agree 100%. There are a lot of things we can do, and should do along these lines. As long as people eat meat, showing them that there's nothing wrong with taking responsibility for getting your own in a sustainable manner will go a long way. Because it's an irrefutable argument.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good God man, who was arguing? Take a step back from the internet and relax.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I didn't say "arguing," I said argument. Which is what you were making in support of C&R hunting, was it not?

Edited to add, the future of hunting is something I do tend to get worked up about, especially if there's a chance I may have to trade in my rifles for dart guns..... grin

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Oh for schit's sake. I give up.

Some of you guy's ability to nit-pick a conversation apart is nothing short of female in nature. I have to deal with enough of that schit in real life; I'm not going to engage in it for fun.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Too funny, darting animals sounds like something PETA would come up with, but refuting the "benefits" of it is nit-picking and female. Got it.

Glad you gave up though. It's a stupid idea, I'm glad it didn't get any traction on this forum.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Dude, you just don't get it, do you?

You have a habit of going on post after post and nit-picking apart what is being said. It's got to be one of the most obnoxious traits a person can possess. Always with the last word. Get over yourself.

I think the darting idea is an excellent one, and will pursue it further.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
To the general thread:

If I were on the other side and reading this, I would think we won. They are so negative it is just a matter of time.

I personally don't fear the anti crowd as much as I worry about those who feel the battle is lost. Vote for gun rights and hunting, make the politicians fear us. Something to be said for those old timers who wouldn't back away from what was important to them. I see less of it today.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You have a habit of going on post after post and nit-picking apart what is being said. It's got to be one of the most obnoxious traits a person can possess.

You can't make a point without getting personal and insulting. And I'm the one who's obnoxious? Go back and read the thread objectively and you'll see what I mean. See who was the one to resort to insulting language, and get back to me about obnoxious.

And nit-picking? You advocate an idea that would fundamentally change hunting as we know it, on a hunting forum, and bitch about "nit-picking?"

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Here's some food for thought. As I said above, as long as people eat meat, one of the best (and most irrefutable) arguments in favor of hunting is that hunters are the only ones (besides ag. workers) who take responsibility for the killing that has to occur in order to feed ourselves, and we don't just foist off the dirty work on someone else.

If darting was to gain widespread acceptance, that part of hunting would be taken right off the table. I can hear the HSUS now: "you don't really have to kill the animals, you just want to because you're sadistic."

And as long as we're talking about acceptance of hunting by the general population, I've heard many people, non-hunters and hunters alike, disparage hunters for taking "hero shot" photos. Because the hero shots are all about stoking the hunter's ego, and have little to do with the traditions of the hunt or putting food on the table and many people are turned off by that.

Well guess what. With darting, the hero shot is about all you're left with.

IC B3

P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I'm not sure darting would even be acceptable to the antis. They still will whine that this process is causing undue stress on the animal.
If it gets down to that point it will be only camera hunting that will be considered humane and of course the folks with the best photo equipment will win that one.

That in mind - I think bow hunting will probably last the longest because even anti hunters and politicians will reluctantly concede it takes great skill to get close enough to get an arrow off where many of them do claim rifle hunting takes no skill at all and is a greater potential danger to other outdoor users.

I know a few antis that have a grudging respect for bow hunters but none at all for rifle hunters.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If they outlaw the killing of game, I'll happily poach.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by PSE
I know a few antis that have a grudging respect for bow hunters but none at all for rifle hunters.

That's because they're idiots.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Archery does take some skill alright....but archers wound and lose a hugely disproportionate amount of game compared to rifle hunters.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is it possible to re-reform? With the availability of suppressors it would be easier. Too much worry and aggravation, I am getting old. Or more honest? confused

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Antis hate archery far worse than they do rifle hunting. They consider archery inhumane. Listen to their rhetoric and you'll quickly realize they loathe archery. Even much of Europe disallows archery on the same grounds.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by deflave
If they outlaw the killing of game, I'll happily poach.

Clark

David Clark,,

I've been using "expanding type" bullets listed in the regs for years.....

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 270wsmnutt, 10gaugemag, 1234, 257Bob, 57 invisible), 2,791 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,597
Posts18,532,523
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.