Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Okay let's do this by the numbers.

1. Stoner originally designed the AR-10 for the 7.62 NATO round that the US forced on all NATO countries.

2. Stoner redesigned the AR-10 to the AR-15 when the military or I should say the Air Force decided on the 5.56 NATO round for the AR-10.

3. The M-16 was originally adopted by the Air Force for it's police and air commandos and other ground fighting forces as a replacement for the M-1 carbine.

4. The Army adopted the M-16 primarily because of our small allies who had trouble using the M-14 because of their small size and the M-14's large size.

5. The Army adopted the spray and pray method of rifle fire rather than accurate timed rifle fire and the M-16 was the perfect rifle for the spray and pray method.

6. When we were first issued the M-16 we were told that the little 55 grain bullet was going so fast that the bullet would blow the enemy to pieces. A hit in the arm and the arm was gone for example. I remember being told this as early as my high school science class.

7. Also that the M-16 would never need cleaning. To that end the first M-16's were issued without cleaning tools or oil.

8. The M-16 as designed by the military was a piece of junk and probably has remained a piece of junk.

9. As to the "smart" rifle the general is proposing, I would not want a "smart" rifle in ground combat and I sure as heck would not want to haul around a back pack full of batteries to keep the "smart" rifle working.

10. As a heavy infantryman, until something better comes along, I'll take the old fashion M-14 battle rifle with my 200 rounds of ammo and a good bayonet to all those fancy "smart" rifles that everyone if proposing. Oh ya, and a web full of grenades.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sure did. I'm not too computer literate but I can copy and paste if you want to see it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be more concerned with ROE.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by drinkwater
Sure did. I'm not too computer literate but I can copy and paste if you want to see it.

COOL!

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I think you need to PM jorge's fat azz.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jorgeI
In today's "Beltway Bandit" world, one really needs to keep a "weather eye" on retired military types because of the "payroll" issue. No doubt and the F-35 is a prime example of a platform "doomed to success". That said, General Scales has always struck me as a pretty straight up guy and he lost a son in the sandbox.
I am not qualified enough to counter his arguments (or anybody else's here that's been intheshit of ground combat), but suffice to say I am not a fan of the M-4 or the 5.56, but another combat-proven acquaintance, when talking about the virtues v maladies of the 5.56 v the 7.62, told me he was GLAD he had the 5.56, for the simple fact he could carry LOTS of ammo, whereas when he carried the M-14, he was limited to I believe just 200 rounds. Regardless, good food-for-thought article.

With the M-14 you were issued personally 200 rounds along with a good bayonet for close quarter fighting. The M-14 was a good rifle for bayonet fighting.

With the M-16 you were issued 300 rounds of ammo along with a good bayonet for close quarter fighting. The M-16 was NOT a good rifle for bayonet fighting. Also because of the M-16's full auto capabilities you used the ammo up twice as fast as you would do with the M-14. It's awfully hard to train the average ground pounder to fire in burst. Most will just fire all at once until their ammo is gone. To that end the Army incorporated a 3-round burst switch on the M-16 as that was easier than trying to train raw recruits to fire in a burst. I don't think more ammo was much of an advantage for most troops.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And let's not forget that the 5.56 ammo was originally developed with IMR4198 (or factory version) that did not foul the innards that much but when the military adopted it they went with 748 (or a very similar ball powder) that produced excessive powder fouling and plugged everything up.

I've always been amazed that a rifle that sh*ts where it eats is as successful as this one has been.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
And let's not forget that the 5.56 ammo was originally developed with IMR4198 (or factory version) that did not foul the innards that much but when the military adopted it they went with 748 (or a very similar ball powder) that produced excessive powder fouling and plugged everything up.

I've always been amazed that a rifle that sh*ts where it eats is as successful as this one has been.

That's true. You have a rifle designed for one specific powder but the military uses what's available, go figure.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Just for the sake of conversation (sitting in cold ND, bored).

If I could pick, my rifle would resemble an M-14 but chambered in a 25 or 26 caliber. But then there is the 6.8.

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by derby_dude

9. As to the "smart" rifle the general is proposing, I would not want a "smart" rifle in ground combat and I sure as heck would not want to haul around a back pack full of batteries to keep the "smart" rifle working.

+1. But I also don't think the M-14 is the answer. I believe the general has a valid point if the goal is to take advantage of new technology (versus cast-in-stone outdated milspecs) to produce an uber reliable rifle that punches above the 5.56 and still allows you to carry more ammo than the old 14.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by DocRocket

The second question is, would our infantrymen be better served with a better battle rifle? I think the answer to this is a resounding YES. The 6.8 SPC would have (should have) been adopted years ago, if the ordnance buffoons had listened to the ballisticians. Equipping all rifles with good suppressors and better sighting systems makes great sense as well.

^^^^100

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another point is, when fighting irregular (insurgent) troops, the lawyers have ruled expanding bullets are okay. So 5.56 bullets don't have to be the old 55 FMJ. Expanding bullets solve a lot of the lethality problems with the 5.56.

The 6.8 obviously does add more killing power. Has there been enough data collected, to determine if the difference is worth the extra weight/cost of ammo?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I think you need to PM jorge's fat azz.

10-4!!!!

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As long as they look cool and girls can qualify with them, they (or something even worse) will be around.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
" Also because of the M-16's full auto capabilities you used the ammo up twice as fast as you would do with the M-14"

Well.... it's been 51 years since I was issued an M 14 to replace my M1, and I'm going strictly from memory, but this is what I recall:

The M14 would replace both the M1 and the BAR. The BAR man in a Marine Corp fire team carried an M14 that had the selector switched to full auto. The other three guys' rifles were switched to semi-auto.

The Assistant Bar man could actually carry more magazines for the M14 than for the BAR.

If this makes you feel like you're F O S......... good.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Equipping all rifles with good suppressors and better sighting systems makes great sense as well.

SOCOM is about 15-16yr ahead of you. It's called the SOPMOD kit. The 6.8 will/has sucked balls as an infantry rifle. Drops like a stone, low BC, bolts break. IE, it's the 5.56, except worse. Marginally better terminal ballistics. Reliable mags are a BIG issue.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
TAK hath returned!

Travis

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by deflave
TAK hath returned!

Travis

Naw man, its Freddy K.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The M-16/M-4 isn't perfect, but it is the longest lasting, most tested gun in US military history. If we'd stuck with the M-14 I will guarantee we would have filled a lot more body bags than we have.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
TAK hath returned!

Travis

Naw man, its Freddy K.

What a nightmare smile

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (375sunrise, 257robertsimp, 10Glocks, 338reddog, 35, 6mmbrfan, 13 invisible), 843 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,903
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.