Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Anyway, the reason why I'm saying rounds fired (not enemy killed) is because I'm curious as to whether the Garand action - on average - could stand up to the same number of cycles under battlefield conditions as - on average - the M16/M4 rifles.

Or your shoulder. smile

Actually, the Garand is pretty soft recoiling, due to the weight and gas operated system. I have fired in excess of 250 rounds at a range session without problem.

The Garand action is robust and usually does not develop issues with headspace or problems with moving parts for several thousand rounds. The Op-rod spring can compress on you, but they are cheap and easily changed. Post campaign, the armourers would look into the rifles' condition, and they also reconditioned battlefield pickups during the campaigns.

I maintain mine and have not had to replace any parts other than when I initially acquired and reconditioned them, which involves a complete teardown and make sure the parts are in spec, replacing any that are out. The exception being op-rod springs every couple thousand rounds.

I had an SA that lived here for awhile and all it did was eat ammo, just wanting to be fed and cleaned once in a while. My HRA is proving to be the same way, but I've only had it a year or so.

My IHC was a money-pit, but it was a total rebuild. Now it is quite a reliable and relatively accurate rifle.

All in all, I believe the Garand to be a fairly long-lived rifle under use. Just keep it greased, oiled, and change the op-rod spring once in a while and it'll run under some pretty adverse conditions.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most of this generations warriors could stand the recoil of the Garand......never mind a proper sight picture without an optic.

"The liberals preach tolerance and diversity until presented with an opinion other than their own."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Anyway, the reason why I'm saying rounds fired (not enemy killed) is because I'm curious as to whether the Garand action - on average - could stand up to the same number of cycles under battlefield conditions as - on average - the M16/M4 rifles.

Or your shoulder. smile

Actually, the Garand is pretty soft recoiling, due to the weight and gas operated system. I have fired in excess of 250 rounds at a range session without problem.

The Garand action is robust and usually does not develop issues with headspace or problems with moving parts for several thousand rounds. The Op-rod spring can compress on you, but they are cheap and easily changed. Post campaign, the armourers would look into the rifles' condition, and they also reconditioned battlefield pickups during the campaigns.

I maintain mine and have not had to replace any parts other than when I initially acquired and reconditioned them, which involves a complete teardown and make sure the parts are in spec, replacing any that are out. The exception being op-rod springs every couple thousand rounds.

I had an SA that lived here for awhile and all it did was eat ammo, just wanting to be fed and cleaned once in a while. My HRA is proving to be the same way, but I've only had it a year or so.

My IHC was a money-pit, but it was a total rebuild. Now it is quite a reliable and relatively accurate rifle.

All in all, I believe the Garand to be a fairly long-lived rifle under use. Just keep it greased, oiled, and change the op-rod spring once in a while and it'll run under some pretty adverse conditions.

No arguments from me I used an M-1 in the service and it was all you say it is.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by model70man
My Dad was a 28 year old Gunny on Guadalcanal and they used the '03 and Thompson almost exclusively. He said he threw his Reising into the sea since it was not reliable. He never saw a Garand until the Army relieved the 1st Marine Division later in the campaign. As one poster stated, marksmanship was everything. He was in G-2-1.

Funny. We were taught in Marine Corp History class that Guadalcanal was the first battle in which Marines used the Garand,

I remember, 'cause it was one of the test questions.

The Marines landed with Springfields and as soon as the Army got there, begged, borrowed or stole Garands as quickly as they could. Hatcher's "Book of the Garand" details this quite well, and the Garand also eventually beat out the 1903 in reliability, also, due to short-stroking, etc., according to the book. Get the book, it's an interesting read.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I had a conversation some years back with a now deceased brother in law, who drove a landing boat on many of the beach landings in the pacific. Course he was navy, but he said he prefered the 03 with a.p. rounds. Japs didn't think the round would penetrate as effectively as it did, and the 03 didn't jam with the sand like the garand did. If it did get sand in the reciever area was easy to clean out.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For those that don't know:

The new design was adopted in 1903 and so was called the M1903, better known as the Springfield �03. The Springfield featured a plethora of impressive features that were state of the art for its time. It loaded from a 5-round stripper clip, featured a reinforced locking lug, and a flip-up ladder-sight for long distance volley fire. It also featured an infamous magazine cutoff switch that allowed officer�s to restrict a soldier�s rifle to single-shot loading.

Infantrymen were instructed to load the magazine to capacity, and then engage the magazine cutoff. They were to utilize single rounds and switch the cutoff to the off position to use the remaining reserves in an emergency. This in practice, like many World War I tactics/strategies/policies, was pure lunacy.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/04/james-grant/gun-review-m1903a3-rifle/

More logic from the war department.

NRA Life Member
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

440 members (1badf350, 007FJ, 10ring1, 17Hunter, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 49 invisible), 1,526 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,988
Posts18,520,103
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.