Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Everybody's wife is better looking than you. wink

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

HR IC

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
Everybody is better looking than you. wink

fixed it for you....

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have 3 favorites. My Sako AV 375 H&H in a McMillan Stock, Ruger M77 MkII in 338 WM, and a Winchester mod 70 Classic Stainless 30-06. Doesn't matter where I live or what I hunt I'm good to go. I used the 338 WM probably a little more than the rest and it's what I took to So. Africa, Actually I took a Winchester mod 70 stainless 338 to So Africa. Don't see how a guy can only have one of any caliber.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
Everybody's wife is better looking than you. wink

True dat. frown

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your wife has a nice rack there. grin
Back to the topic at hand... Is it true that the upper limit of recoil tolerance for most hunters is a 30-06 or so???
I know my grandpa's old M54 with a steel butt plate kind of punishes you off the bench but with decent fitting stocks and good recoil pad my 375H&H is perfectly tolerable off the bench and anything smaller is no problem. And I am not some macho man, in fact I don't like recoil.
Do we have a generation of wussies?

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

C
C
Never been up there hunting but was a fishing guide, I would take the 30-06, 200 partitions.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Three good choices in my gun safe. A Model 7 SS in 300SAUM, a Model 700 SS also in 300SAUM, and a Model 700 EddieF cerakoted in 30-06. I guess I'd take the 06 based on ammo availability in an emergency. Bullet of choice either 180 grain Speer Grand Slams or Nosler Accubonds.
Now I just need the funds and conditioning for the trip!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
.358 Norma Mag with a Luepy 1.75x6 - Mauser action with a heavy contour barrel. Ceracoat, bedded, and time tested. But that is just me.

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
300 Win Mag launching 200 Grain Barnes LRX topped with a Nightforce 2.5-10x42

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'd probably run either the Montana 280AI or the Montana 7WSM.

Pretty much anything fairly accurate, very reliable and reasonably light would work for me.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The Alaskan F&G website on cartridge recommendations replace a lifetime of gun magazines. But a guy has to have a little fun.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 12/30/14.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

Do we have a generation of wussies?

Damn straight !

If you had spelled that with a P it would be even closer to the truth !

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by humdinger
I read the alaska DNR link and that made sense to me.

I would take my SS browning xbolt 3006 since that's what I have. It shoots 180 gr Barnes vortex ammo well.

It is cool to see Alaska hunters with lever action marlins, Winchesters, and savage 99 proving you don't need SS bolt actions.

You can hunt ak with a blued rifle and pretty piece of wood on it. Every year I been hunting in ak my buds forget to bring gun oil except for me I bring a tub rem wipes to keep guys who brought blued guns including my daughters from rusting in bad weather. If you remember to bring the basis gun cleaning supplies you can use whatever up here. Now you guys who cringe dragging your pretty pre64 through alders and other stuff I can't help you their probably should left it in the safe.

Killed two coastal brown bears with pre 64 375's wink Not saying SS would not have been better but I watched a couple of SS rifles just blossom rust while there.

You gotta take care of all of them.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If one does not mind manly rifle with wood stock this would be hard to beat for all around North American hunting piece:

Runnin' game special....

Good handling, extremely durable and ERA-Recknagel running game sights are big plus in case one needs to shoot bunnies for the pot. While magazine and magazine release are solid I suspect spare mags would be quite expensive if found for purchase. Big plus is US made hunting soft points can be found for $30 per pack 24 hours a day at all night Walmart.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by humdinger
I read the alaska DNR link and that made sense to me.

I would take my SS browning xbolt 3006 since that's what I have. It shoots 180 gr Barnes vortex ammo well.

It is cool to see Alaska hunters with lever action marlins, Winchesters, and savage 99 proving you don't need SS bolt actions.

You can hunt ak with a blued rifle and pretty piece of wood on it. Every year I been hunting in ak my buds forget to bring gun oil except for me I bring a tub rem wipes to keep guys who brought blued guns including my daughters from rusting in bad weather. If you remember to bring the basis gun cleaning supplies you can use whatever up here. Now you guys who cringe dragging your pretty pre64 through alders and other stuff I can't help you their probably should left it in the safe.

Killed two coastal brown bears with pre 64 375's wink Not saying SS would not have been better but I watched a couple of SS rifles just blossom rust while there.

Have several friends hunt kodiak using stainless model 70's no issues but one of th guys had a stainless browning and it started rusting.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Ingwe,

Would you like to own a like-new Mark X 30-06? I'll sell you mine. It's like new in every way. Nice walnut stock.

No, but thanks.Mine has a wonderful 'patina of use'... cool

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Wildebeast is better looking than you!

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
79: Funny....the Brownings were the rifles I saw rust.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by scouttracker
You can only have one rifle for hunting all big game in Alaska.. What would it be?

Merry Christmas to all of you're families.

If non-magnum, probably a 30-06 or 9.3x62. If it had to be magnum, maybe 300 or 338WM.

Out the box stock, probably a Sako. If worked over and done nicely, probably one built off a M70 classic. If on the cheap and sledge hammer tough, maybe not quite as refined, probably one built off a Ruger M77.

Whichever version, the closer to a Mauser design but with modern materials, having fewer parts in numbers, with those parts being simple and robust, the better I'd like and prefer, if stuck with a singular rifle that I'd need to keep running without fail.

If on the other hand, you truly do not mean in the intent of this thread, a one and only rifle for all times, but just a single rifle for that purpose of hunting AK, to be replaced at whim. Then I'd still choose the same chamberings, but would pick whatever rifle I fancied at the moment, and I would then replace that particular make/model of rifle whenever something else became more desirable. In that case, it could be anything. I may have a desire to take a single shot, or some other unique rifle to increase my enjoyment of hunting AK.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'll stick with my two most proven ones. Old decrepit Ruger 77 MkII in 7x57 and an FN custom in .338 WM.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I recently went over my old M70 Classic 375 with a stainless steel brush and managed to get most of the red crud reduced. Stainless rusts, stainless pits. And you are quite right about taking care of 'em all. Open coastal skiffs are not kind even to stainless rifles.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

308 members (1minute, 16gage, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12savage, 42 invisible), 2,017 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,859
Posts18,497,162
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.