djs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Most dangerous , is Alaska

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
djs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by bea175

Anybody crazy enough to live in that freezer may be made dangerous by their frozen brain cells. At least that's what a friend (an ER surgeon in Anchorage) tells me!

Or, was it alcohol that causes the violence? smile

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Check the graphs at the bottom of the page...

Link

Phil

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
It helps to look at the demographics of the serious crimes committed in Alaska. There's very few places that I've gone in this state where I've felt unsafe. On the other hand, most big cities in the Lower 48 put me on edge to some extent.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Vermont at number one makes the anti gun idiots heads explode. We have basically no gun laws, no permit necessary to own handguns, and can carry open or concealed. And almost no crime, figure that out?

"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by akpls
It helps to look at the demographics of the serious crimes committed in Alaska. There's very few places that I've gone in this state where I've felt unsafe. On the other hand, most big cities in the Lower 48 put me on edge to some extent.

Crime rates tend to be higher in large urban areas. Several of the 10 most dangerous states were home to cities that had relatively high violent crime rates. Nine of the 50 most dangerous large U.S. cities were located in one or more of the 10 most dangerous states. Memphis, Tennessee; Little Rock, Arkansas; and Baltimore, Maryland in particular had nearly the highest violent crime rates among U.S. cities and likely contributed substantially to their states� overall crime problems.

People living in the nation�s most dangerous states were also far more likely than other Americans to live in poverty. The poverty rate in six of the 10 states was higher than the national rate of 15.8% last year. Nearly 22% of New Mexico residents lived below the poverty line, the second-highest nationwide and the highest on this list.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by akpls

Crime rates tend to be higher in large urban areas. Several of the 10 most dangerous states were home to cities that had relatively high violent crime rates. Nine of the 50 most dangerous large U.S. cities were located in one or more of the 10 most dangerous states. Memphis, Tennessee; Little Rock, Arkansas; and Baltimore, Maryland in particular had nearly the highest violent crime rates among U.S. cities and likely contributed substantially to their states� overall crime problems.

People living in the nation�s most dangerous states were also far more likely than other Americans to live in poverty. The poverty rate in six of the 10 states was higher than the national rate of 15.8% last year. Nearly 22% of New Mexico residents lived below the poverty line, the second-highest nationwide and the highest on this list.

FWIW, a lot of Alaska's crime tends to occur within the Native community....domestic stuff fueled by alcohol. I used to get into a lot of different villages for work and never really felt threatened in any of them myself, but some were known as places where a lot of domestic violence occurred. An out of control drunk running around with a gun gets ugly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was pleased to see Wyoming get the high rating (#4). I was not aware of the high income levels and high levels of education, guess I don't live in the right part of the state. wink

Wyoming has Constitutional Carry and very few gun laws at all , not everyone carries but muggings, carjackings and home invasions are almost unheard of, guess why?

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Utah's crime rate went up slightly due mainly to all our z's.

Martinez, Rodriguez, Lopez...

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The whole damn thing is about racial demographics, nothing more.

White people are much less likely to kill yer ass than a Negro or a spic. It's all simple math.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ghost has a point. The Washington Post has a map out of murders in the DC basin. Just about none west of the Rock Creek line, scads in the eastern, poorer parts. And the vics? Overwhelmingly black and male.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

White people are much less likely to kill yer ass than a Negro or a spic. It's all simple math.

but you're not allowed to point that out. its racist.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

white people kill about as many in numbers as blacks kill...but blacks only comprise 12.8% of the population

add to that they have about 40% of all abortions performed per year.

.... like tears in the rain
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

True. Plot the states from most dangerous to least and they'll follow the racial makeup almost perfectly. It's the 800 lb. gorilla in the room that you're not supposed to talk about.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Dogballs
Vermont at number one makes the anti gun idiots heads explode. We have basically no gun laws, no permit necessary to own handguns, and can carry open or concealed. And almost no crime, figure that out?

You also have no people and the ones you do have are white.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The sad part is most of the violent states are also pro gun.

It is not as straight foward as we would like to think.

I live in a small town on Long Island NY and no one remembers a homicide ever being committed

I have lived here for 60 years.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by mike103
The sad part is most of the violent states are also pro gun.

It is not as straight foward as we would like to think.

They're also all states with large numbers of minorities whether they're black, hispanic, or indian.

It isn't straight forward, you have to look beyond the numbers a bit to figure out why things are the way they are. My old economics professor called it "lying with statistics".

Another example of that is the often quoted statistic that republican voting states receive more welfare than democrat states. That's a favorite the liberals like to trot out. You have to look at it a bit to understand that one however. Take my home state of Mississippi, it's about 60% white/40% black. The voting is along racial lines for the most part, whites vote republican and blacks vote democrat. Since whites outnumber blacks (for the time being) the state goes republican for national elections. Mississippi gets a lot of welfare money though because it's 40% black and virtually all of them are on some form of welfare, therefore we're one of the states at the top of the welfare list. The media would have you believe that there's a link between voting republican and receiving welfare when it's exactly the opposite, it's not the republican voters that are receiving the welfare checks. The welfare bunch votes almost exclusively democrat in Mississippi. States don't receive welfare, people do, but if you listened to the democrats they'd have you believe there's a link between being voting republican and being a welfare deadbeat.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went to a handgun violence symposium at the U of WA law school 12 years ago.
The map of the population density of Seattle looks very different than a map of handgun violence incidents.
The crime only happens in the black neighborhood.

I live in a city of 20,000. In our 150 years, we have had two people who live here commit murder. Both were black males killing white females. The city is 0.2% black. What are the chances?

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1Longbow, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10ring1, 58 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,820
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.