Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Anybody want to bet it's a Glock? eek

Wasn't a Glock. Y'all ought to read the article before going off half Glocked.

Rutledge was shopping with four kids, when her two-year-old son reached into her purse, accessed her concealed 9mm Smith & Wesson M&P Shield semi-automatic handgun and accidentally discharged the weapon, according deputies. Authorities said the toddler was seated in the shopping cart when the gun was discharged. The woman and children were in the back of the store near the electronics area when the deadly shooting happened.

Almost as bad double action striker fired.

What gun is "double action striker fired"?

I might have the wrong terminology but those striker fired guns operate like a double action revolver relying on the heavy trigger pull for a safety. The only safe way to carry those striker fired guns is with the chamber empty in my not so humble opinion.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guess you carry your revolvers empty too?

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've carried Glocks for 15 years and have never had one discharge unless i intended it to discharge

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_in_SD

Revolvers can be touchy too. That police chief in Georgia 'accidentally' shot his wife...twice...with a revolver.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The only thing dangerous about today's firearms are the operators.

Lots of safety built into the guns themselves.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by George_in_SD

Nope because the one I have is single action only. Looking to buy a SSA. I also only have 1911s.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just went out and did some Google research.

I discovered that striker fired guns are even more unsafe than I originally thought. I did not know that chambering a round presets the striker i.e. the firing pin. Squeezing the trigger fully sets the striker and fires the round. There is absolutely no safety at all in my opinion. There appears to be two schools of thought on strikers, one school of thought is that strikers are double action only and the other school of thought is they are not.

My school of thought is striker fired guns are unsafe at any speed. Argument over.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I just went out and did some Google research.

I discovered that striker fired guns are even more unsafe than I originally thought. I did not know that chambering a round presets the striker i.e. the firing pin. Squeezing the trigger fully sets the striker and fires the round. There is absolutely no safety at all in my opinion. There appears to be two schools of thought on strikers, one school of thought is that strikers are double action only and the other school of thought is they are not.

My school of thought is striker fired guns are unsafe at any speed. Argument over.

I think you should go back to school

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

You don't like Glocks. That's fine, and entirely your prerogative. Just man up and quit using your personal preference to bash them every time the opportunity, real or imagined, comes along. If Glocks have a lot of accidental discharges, it's because it's the number one selling handgun in the US, therefore a lot of dumbazzes have the opportunity to be dumbazzes. I've seen accidental discharges with S&W Model 15 38 Special revolvers, too. Does that make them unsafe?

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I still don't see how a little 2-year old had the muscle to pull the Shield's trigger.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can see it happening if the kid grabbed the gun by the trigger trying to pull it out of his Mom's purse. That and maybe the gun hung on something as he was pulling on it.

Terrible tragedy for the Family involved, regardless of how it happened.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
DD being afraid of Glocks is akin to the Goodhousekeeping seal of approval...for Glock.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Father in law said in an interview that he was very familiar with that pistol and it did have a functioning safety.

It is a sad situation. Totally preventable, but a sad reminder that even a two year old kid can make a gun shoot. I don't care for concealed carry purses because they get snatched and women often set them down because they're "heavy". If you have to travel to get to the purse you likely are late to the fight. If you're comfortable leaving your defensive weapon unavailable, why not clear the chamber as well?

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Sad, but no more so than car accidents that kill and cripple and maim parents and children every day which also are preventable, only by having no autos, or in this case, guns.

For sure an empty chamber is much safer.

Last edited by eyeball; 01/02/15.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
From a S&W 9mm Shield review...

A final aspect of the M&P Shield pistol�s user-friendly shootability is its uniform short, crisp trigger pull, which again is the same mechanism as found on full-size M&Ps. Nominal trigger travel from rest is only .300 inch, and the reset stroke is only .140 inch. Nominal trigger pull weight is just 6� pounds.

This is one of the best, shortest and most crisp DAO-type trigger pulls on the market

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/palm-size-power-the-smith-wesson-mp9-shield-review/#ixzz3Nh2dtZu0

Just so sad l really feel for that family.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Does anyone know if the Lady was a southpaw or not?

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I know it's not fashionable to have a safety these days, but there is a reason I like them. One more way to keep bad things from happening. I know a pistol can be safe without one, I just feel better with it and it will not delay any shot from me.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Leaving a 2 year old within arms length of a loaded gun is a recipe for disaster. Terrible tragedy but common sense should have prevailed here. Secret pocket or no you don't leave loaded weapons around children or those not able to understand their use, this is gun safety 101. This lady paid for that mistake with her life as will happen when mistakes are made with loaded weapons. At least the child didn't die from the mothers mistake.

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mohave_mauler1
Leaving a 2 year old within arms length of a loaded gun is a recipe for disaster. Terrible tragedy but common sense should have prevailed here. Secret pocket or no you don't leave loaded weapons around children or those not able to understand their use, this is gun safety 101. This lady paid for that mistake with her life as will happen when mistakes are made with loaded weapons. At least the child didn't die from the mothers mistake.

No, but I hate the thought of what he has to live with.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Having kids, teaching them how to shoot and knowing what they're capable of, is anyone just a bit flabbergasted that a 2 year old could grab a modern handgun and somehow fire it off?

I mean if it was sitting on the floor and he was playing with the trigger that's one thing. But to pull a handgun out and be able to operate the trigger on his own, that just sounds very difficult for a 2 yr old to do.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

207 members (300_savage, 16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 32 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,253
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.