Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JasonR Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I haven't seen much on steel targets on here...I did a search and didn't find anything on the 1st page but wasn't going to go through all the pages listed.... Sooooo here we go:

I have my own area here at the house that I shoot, and use old political signs, cans, and what nots but always wanted to shoot steel!

I was just browsing Amazon and located some steel targets. The reviews were very good on them and there was FREE shipping! I got the 6,8,and 10 inchers. Gonna build a stand fer em so I can move them here at the house so I can do -50 all the way to 200+.... I went ahead and signed up fer the Amazon Card so it took 70 bucks off.... So I got 3 steel targets and a 223 bore sighter in fer 30 bucks!!!

If ya'll decide to buy, please use this link to use me as a referral plus you get $10 off your 1st order........

https://shootingtargets7.com/store/?___store=default&ref=a25KdkpSd1lrU0k9

I have a 3 inch plate coming in, and will be ordering two 4 inchers...I will also be ordering a silhouette target to start teaching my kids and wife a little more with hand guns!!! These are AR500 steel 3/8 inch thick and will withstand many high powered rifle calibers. I will post the results of various rifle and pistol affects on the targets!!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JasonR; 01/04/15.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
On the long range forum there have been a few threads, and one about a group buy with JC Steel Targets. Great group to deal with.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

JasonR Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yeah, they have alot of long range steel, and the 8/10 inch plates I will use to stretch 200-250 yards but most will be 25-100 yards.... I just ordered the silhouette and 4 more gongs to have a better set up! No more replacing paper targets!!! At shootingtargets7 there is free shipping with orders over $100 and they will send a 3-4 inch gong in free so it's a purty good deal and they are great folks to deal with....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So, what do you get out of the deal?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
AR500 isn't rated for rifle rounds at 25 yards. The normally recommended minimum safe distance is 40-50 yards. At 25 it'll get pitted and dangerous.

For pistol rounds the recommendation is usually 7 yards.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those wood stands are nice, but prepare to replace them in short order. Shrapnel will chew the hell out of the insides.

I'd go ahead and line the insides with some sort of Nail Plates.

Tanner

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
When you hang them, have them so they are at a slight angle with the top being closer to you than the bottom. This deflects a lot of the towards the ground.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't worry about trying to angle those hanging targets. As long as they aren't pitted and you're at a sane distance you'll be fine.

If the chain gets chewed up or keeps falling off you can use old fire hose. Looped over the top board and bolted to the plate it'll last a long time.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
AR500 isn't rated for rifle rounds at 25 yards. The normally recommended minimum safe distance is 40-50 yards. At 25 it'll get pitted and dangerous.

MGM used to state 100yards minimum for any rifle ammo(including M855), now they are saying 200 minimum for 2800fps+/150yards for less than 2800fps:

http://mgmtargets.com/faqs?zenid=7e5921b1800d83db90dfe0c48615bc60

No clue what they are going on about XM-193 being designed to penetrate steel, although it probably will chew steel up at closer range more than 855 will. For that matter, .223 in general at 100 yards has always put a dimple in my MGM target that .30 and 8mm doesn't leave there although the .30/8mm stuff tends to put a bow in the target faster which necessitates turning it around to warp it back the other way. Any edge hits from rifle rounds knock a chunk out.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've asked this before on other threads and never got an answer, but where would one look for used fire hose? I've been using cut up mud flaps from trailers and they work okay but they do get pretty chewed up. I'd like to try some tough fabric covered hose but I don't know who would sell it.

On the target stands, that's beautiful work and you've certainly put some effort into them but as Tanner noted they are going to get chewed up real fast. Be careful handling them since they will have multiple pieces of sharp bullet jacket sticking out of them, like glass shards on top of security walls. I tried a wooden sawhorse for my first hanger and found that out after one range session.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There's a ton of it on E-Bay.

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never thought of ebay - you're right, there is a whole lot for sale there. Thanks!

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well there is this place:

http://www.repurposedmaterialsinc.com/store/products/inventory-fire-hose/

Considering there is apparently a consumer market for used hose, I don't know if trying to put in a request with a fire department would do any good or not. Industrial facilities is how I got one of the scrapped sections I have, the other was found in a creek bed after the water level dropped. The reason why I nabbed the pieces I have(rope guard) may indicate checking with rock climbing places for the short sections you would require may be fruitful as well.

Other ideas I think would work based on dicking with the stuff are sections of tire side wall and conveyor belt material.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I've asked this before on other threads and never got an answer, but where would one look for used fire hose? I've been using cut up mud flaps from trailers and they work okay but they do get pretty chewed up. I'd like to try some tough fabric covered hose but I don't know who would sell it.

On the target stands, that's beautiful work and you've certainly put some effort into them but as Tanner noted they are going to get chewed up real fast. Be careful handling them since they will have multiple pieces of sharp bullet jacket sticking out of them, like glass shards on top of security walls. I tried a wooden sawhorse for my first hanger and found that out after one range session.

Local vollys will have "retired" hose laying around. Bring cookies. 5" hose makes good bar covers for your saws, too.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our club has used conveyor belt for many years, works great, got it from a mine salvage.

[Linked Image]
JasonR Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
OK, to answer a few replies.....the minimum for rifles advises 100 yards and pistols 10. The targets are angled a little. The shrapnel is eating the stands up a bit but will last a while....when they go, I'll probably get some water pipe...

Results: My targets weren't rated fer the 300 WM but after seeing no pitting when shooting the 35 REM (200 grain), 7-08 (140 grain), 270 (140 grain)---I figured what the heck---Ya'll watch this!!! Famous last words!!! My 300 WM (180 grain) melted right through it!!! The 270 was stacked on top of the 35 REM and only a small pitting was made with it...I reckon the melted 300 WM hole will give me a target to shoot my 17HMR at now!!! hahaha Overall I am quite pleased in the plates!!!!!

I recovered the bullet and it's not too bad a shape!

I painted the target and took my AR57 out there and 50 rounds later, nothing but lead transfer....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JasonR; 01/04/15.
JasonR Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
All my targets are complete, that is until I get the bug and buy more!!!

The frame work from the silohette and and multiple gong targets are dumpster scrap 1x1 metal and some heave metal bracing. The top brace fer the multiple gongs is just a pressure treated 2x4. These 2 will last much longer then the wooden ones for my 8 and 10 inch gongs.....can't wait to start plinking!!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am suspect of the A500 rating on them. A friend of mine was a welder for a defense contractor doing armor for hummers. He brought scraps over and we shot everrthing under the sun at them to see what would hurt them. The only thing that even came close to what we would call "damage" was a .257 Weatherby with a Barnes TSX. It just welded the bullet into the steel but did not penetrate it. SS109 penetrators only made sparks and put a little tiny divot in them. We shot 5.56 (multiple types), .257 Weatherby, 30-06, 7.62x54R (With MG ammo),.300 Win Mag, .270, .458 Win mag and a .416 Rigby w/ a brass lathe turned solid. All at no more than 80 yards. Also confirmed that velocity and bullet construction is the enemy of Armor. The larger calibers barely even scratched the paint off.

Last edited by k20350; 01/13/15.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
^me too. I believe an A500 plate should resist a standard .300WM fairly easily.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Double tap.

Last edited by K1500; 01/13/15.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 56 invisible), 2,849 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,314
Posts18,526,334
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.