Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Tarkio,

Another thing to keep in mind when looking for an older Boyota is I would plan on removing any oversized tires/rims and other stupid schit as soon as you get it.

The old Toyotas (like many other products in the world) are at their best when left stock IMO.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I had a 94 truck with with the 3.0 V6. It was no performance engine and Toyota did do a preventive head gasket change out but it was a very reliable truck for the 14 years I owned it. The only problem I recall was that the front wheeling bearings would squeal for about 1/2 a mile if they were cold and the temperature was less than 15 degrees outside. I believe Toyota had a fix for it but I ended up moving to Florida and it was a non-issue there. I would have kept driving it but my kids complained about having to ride in the small jump seats in back. I have an 08 Tacoma now with about a 135K on it and still going strong.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I think that applies to Colt 1911's and Ar 15's too.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by drinkwater
Originally Posted by FryeBaby
My 1987 Toyota Deluxe Truck 4X4 with the 22r engine and a 5 speed came with a whopping 102 horsepower. I still have the owners manual. It doesn't have a lot of power but it sure will go through the mud. I have pulled a lot of V8 trucks out of the mud. I agree with what everybody said about the carb on the 22r. I have 31X10.5 tires on my truck (Bridgestone AT Duelers) and it gets about 15 MPG in the city and about 19 to 22 MPG on the highway. With fuel injection you can easily beat that and have more HP. I still love my truck after 28 years.

Yours have a carb? I think a few did until 87. If you change the ring gears to 4.56's you'll get a bit of power back. A few V-6's came with 4.56's. I've been able to locate one complete front diff in a junkyard but not a rear one.

If a Carb'ed version, replace the head with one from a 20 R and you will see an approximate 15 increase in HP, as this ups the engine compression.... local guy did that and then converted the rig to run on propane...

It will get up and scoot, especially pulling going up some of our local mountains..

Yamaha also use to make a head for them, that upped the rpm capabilities to 9000 rpms +....the lower end will take that all day long...brought HP on the those to the 175 to 180 range...

had a few buddies who had done that conversion....

those conversions plus axle ratio conversions.. you can end up with a mean little truck...

performance options abound...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With regards the US, which versions of the 4Runner and the Pick-ups's had the full box section chassis?

I know the later Tacoma's had a chassis which was only 30% box section, the rest being C and flat section which led indirectly to the chassis failures on certain models..

I am glad to say the HiLux we get still has an all box section chassis and on certain markets is rated a 1 tonne pick-up...

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by asphaltangel
Skip the 4runners or at least be careful of what year you purchase. My brother got one. He calls it the gutless wonder, and was disappointed with the gas mileage.

Maybe he didn't get the uber upgrade.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I went to a Weber carb on my 20R. I haven't checked mileage, but power is much better. I find myself running 10 mph faster than before when I'm driving thru corners. grin

LOL
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by drinkwater
Originally Posted by FryeBaby
My 1987 Toyota Deluxe Truck 4X4 with the 22r engine and a 5 speed came with a whopping 102 horsepower. I still have the owners manual. It doesn't have a lot of power but it sure will go through the mud. I have pulled a lot of V8 trucks out of the mud. I agree with what everybody said about the carb on the 22r. I have 31X10.5 tires on my truck (Bridgestone AT Duelers) and it gets about 15 MPG in the city and about 19 to 22 MPG on the highway. With fuel injection you can easily beat that and have more HP. I still love my truck after 28 years.

Yours have a carb? I think a few did until 87. If you change the ring gears to 4.56's you'll get a bit of power back. A few V-6's came with 4.56's. I've been able to locate one complete front diff in a junkyard but not a rear one.

If a Carb'ed version, replace the head with one from a 20 R and you will see an approximate 15 increase in HP, as this ups the engine compression.... local guy did that and then converted the rig to run on propane...

It will get up and scoot, especially pulling going up some of our local mountains..

Yamaha also use to make a head for them, that upped the rpm capabilities to 9000 rpms +....the lower end will take that all day long...brought HP on the those to the 175 to 180 range...

had a few buddies who had done that conversion....

those conversions plus axle ratio conversions.. you can end up with a mean little truck...
performance options abound...

Thanks Seafire, I may give that a try. I could use some more HP. It takes awhile to get up to highway speed with 102 HP. LOL. Other than that my truck has been a great truck for 28 years. When I bought my truck you had to buy the SR5 verson to get FI if I remember right.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just to tick Walt off, I just picked up a 2009 Taco. I expect many, many miles of enjoyment.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a T100 that was absolutely bulletproof. 3.4L with a 5 speed. I sold it at 189,000 and bought a 2002 Tundra with the same 3.4L V6 and it's run me to 225,000.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tzone
Skip the 4runners or at least be careful of what year you purchase. My brother got one. He calls it the gutless wonder, and was disappointed with the gas mileage.

Tbone,
Hang in there sweetheart. Sometimes running with the "dangerous" crowd can be uber challenging.

BTW, we find Uber to be a very helpful network when in need of transportation in a big city. Look it up sometime!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Tarkio
I am looking to get an older Toyota 4 wd pickup for beating around in and doing chores.

Looking for one of the old indestructible pickups from years ago, but I don't know much about the Toyota.

What year/s to look for?
Years to avoid?
Most desirable long-running engine?

Any general advice would be appreciated.

1985 is the last year of the straight axles.

22R with EFI is the motor you want.

5 speed manual. The four speeds can be problematic and the five speeds are bomb proof.

But honestly, any Toyota with the 22R and a five speed is going to be pretty UBER. Be it independent front suspension or the coveted straight axle.

Don't overlook the old 4Runners. They can often be found for significantly less but they are just as off road capable and are great vehicles.

Travis

Watch out for the 5 speed manual on the 1992 model pu's. They dont have a tranny pump to pump the fluid to the top shaft. This causes the top shaft to have problems. I've had to have my tranny rebuilt 2 times. Once at 140K and again at 270K.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by tzone

Tbone,
Hang in there sweetheart. Sometimes running with the "dangerous" crowd can be uber challenging.

BTW, we find Uber to be a very helpful network when in need of transportation in a big city. Look it up sometime!

Do you use it to get to the old folks you're screwing over? Look that up sometime.

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Have a 95 Taco with the 2.7 4 cyl and the 5 spd 4wd , 225k and running strong better power than 22R's and still get 22 mpg on the highway. IFS you bet, smoother than the straight axle ones. Magnum Man

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (AceBall, 7887mm08, 3dtestify, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 15 invisible), 984 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,092
Posts18,522,131
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.