Print Thread
Hop To
S
Schenk Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I have a ruger .300 win mag. I'm thinking about having the barrel threaded for a suppressor. Not sure how much it will quieten it down? From my limited experience I will have a change of impact when the suppressor is removed. The added length may be a problem in a box stand too. What's some opinions from guys with suppressor experience?

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Quieter the better as far as I'm concerned would run them on everything if budget allowed.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have several that I run on 308s, 223s, and 22LRs mainly. My opinion, if you drop a grand on can, stamp and transfer fee thinking noise reduction on a 300WM is going to make it much more manageable, I feel you will be disappointed.
On 18-20" #7 contour barrels, POI shift is minimal when removing it. With longer, thinner profiles, I'm sure it's going to be noticeable.
You will enjoy the recoil reduction.

S
Schenk Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I wouldnt be able to have a can on each gun. One can swapped between multiple guns maybe. ARs that I've shot in .223 & .300 aac have had a difference of 6-8 inches POI. Not expecting a reduction in recoil. Hopefully easier on the ears.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been there, done that and I'm not a fan. The extra weight and a severly unbalanced rifle is just not worth the trade off if you plan on shooting supersonic loads.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If in a stand I would just use a set of the ear plugs with the solid loop that goes around your neck, and pop them in when needed.

I've got an 18 inch barreled 308 that I keep a can on, quite a bit quieter than without a can, but to really take advantage of a can you need to use subsonic ammo, and if shooting subsonic you might as well be shooting a 300 blackout.

Around a grand you can start getting into the titanium cans, mines a shortie (7 inches) and weighs 13 ounces... still would be unwieldly with any barrel over 18 inches though.

The recoil reduction on my 308 is significant.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a titanium can (thunderbeast) and had my 7 Wizzum threaded. As someone said it screws with the balance. It's fine for sitting in a stand and drops the sound considerably. Probably about equiv. to a 22 mag. Recoil never bothered me in the first place, but it does drop the recoil as well. Still too loud to be of as much benefit as I was hoping. Fun toy, and will be great on a subsonic, so I'll probably pick up a blackout or 308 and dedicate the can to a full subsonic load for hogs. I'd never carry the damned thing as it is way too long and heavy even with the TI version to be worthwhile unless you're fully subsonic.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check out the Silencerco Harvester. Aluminum body, light weight, and rated for .300 Magnum. Designed as a hunting style suppressor. Minimal POI shift & light weight doesn't mess with your balance as much. Even the titanium suppressors can be heavy. This one isn't.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Check out Gunworks in NZ, every second man and his dog has a can on his rifle over here, with some significant noise reduction, and some recoil reduction. Gunworks has been in the suppressor business since Adam was a cowboy and possibly NZ's best manufacturer. With the right suppressor and a barrel chop, balance is not usually affected, and it adds very little to the weight, or the length.
Having said that, I dont like suppressors, dont use em, except for a full overbarrel suppressed Weatherby Vanguard for guiding as some properties require us to use one.

Guide/Outfitter, NZ Backcountry Guides, fishing and hunting since 1985

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (1Longbow, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 1minute, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,273
Posts18,505,012
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.