Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I've been dreaming about hunting a friends farm for years. In the past guests could only shoot doe because all of the bucks "belonged" to her son. He graduated as a Geologist a couple years ago and lives in Nebraska now. So, back in the summer, she told my wife I could hunt the farm if I'd like, and shoot bucks. Circumstances kept me from hunting the regular season, but we have a late 2 day rifle buck season today and tomorrow. I split a pretty good pile of firewood for her and stacked it in her wood shed. Then I grabbed the 250 R in question and started across a field to my stand. I got about 50 yards and the swivel on my sling broke and the rifle swung around and planted the muzzle in the mud. Started to just leave it there and plant some cherry tomatoes next to it. But, my wife got me a big Otis cleaning kit for Christmas, so I guess I'll clean it out and try to make it all the way to the stand tomorrow. I did stop at the Gun Shack and picked up a new set of swivels, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing ever breaks until you need it.......

wink

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At first I thought you were a bit confused on which model a tomatoe stake was but after I was done reading I see you were just playin around.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Many years ago one of my cousins was hunting deer in PA and while walking across a metal bridge his sling broke and his rifle fell on the bridge. Scratched up the rifle a little, but the lense of his scope looked like a spider web.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had a vintage R sling with the hooks once, actually still have it but it broke about 2" below the top hook, luckily I caught the gun as it was falling and it came out unscathed.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I clicked on this thread expecting to see a beaten to death old model 99!

One would have to be in horrible shape to be considered a tomato stake so I was curious to see that!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Condition has nothing to do with it, it's what all EG's main purpose should be, either that or probably make a good spike to tie the dog to.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I think the "world" of Joe (MadDog), but he's right... he's a rascally "24 hour sarcastic S.O.B." when it comes to EG's... but Joe needs to realize that...

EG's "RULE"... !~!~!

That said, ya gotta wonder about a guy who ends his sentences with a proposition ("... either that or probably make a good spike to tie the dog to.") . grin laugh smile

Butttttttttttttt... ya gotta admit, he's a "lovable" ol' curmudgeon, eh? grin

Curmudgeon definition : An ill-tempered, irascible person full of stubbornly held opinions.

Suggested usage: A curmudgeon is often taken to be a person who goes against popular or sentimentally held notions.

grin

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ron_T
I think the "world" of Joe (MadDog), but he's right... he's a rascally "24 hour sarcastic S.O.B." when it comes to EG's... but Joe needs to realize that...

EG's "RULE"... !~!~!

That said, ya gotta wonder about a guy who ends his sentences with a proposition ("... either that or probably make a good spike to tie the dog to.") . grin laugh smile

Butttttttttttttt... ya gotta admit, he's a "lovable" ol' curmudgeon, eh? grin

Curmudgeon definition : An ill-tempered, irascible person full of stubbornly held opinions.

Suggested usage: A curmudgeon is often taken to be a person who goes against popular or sentimentally held notions.

grin

Ron T.

you should see all the mater stakes in his safes ,blow you away it will laugh laugh crazy

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by mad_dog
Had a vintage R sling with the hooks once, actually still have it but it broke about 2" below the top hook, luckily I caught the gun as it was falling and it came out unscathed.

Joe - before I read this post from you I had the thought that this sounded like one of your stories wink

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by norm99

you should see all the mater stakes in his safes ,blow you away it will laugh laugh crazy

norm

I own about 70 savages and only one is an EG, in 243, and it's only there until an R in 243 shows up.

Steve: still got the 2" chunk of leather attached to the sling hook, haha.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, and if y'all carried little 1899H's you wouldn't feel the need to sling them over your shoulders! grin Toting around an R with a scope on it is like carrying a 105mm howitzer. A set of wheels and a hitch to hook it up to a jeep might be better than a set of sling swivels. smile

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Naw, it ain't heavy at all when your sitting in a 6X6 stand all day long.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Well, there is that!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Yep, my stand is big enough for a card table. I gotta say my 250R with the Redfield 2-7 feels like a feather next to the 300R with the Leupold 3.5X10X50.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (12344mag, 1minute, 1moredeer, 160user, 204guy, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,834 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,850
Posts18,496,983
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.