Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I know it's early, but hey, we're excited about the trip. We're planning a 2-week trip up through CO, WY and SD this summer. We'll be pulling our 5th wheel and staying in state parks and national forests along the way.

Right now, we're not planning on stoping much (except to sleep the first night) in CO. We're going to hit the "Mountain Man" museum in Pinedale, WY, stay near Jackson, WY for a night , and then get up into Yellowstone. We'll have 4 nights in Yellowstone, then take a couple of days traveling across WY into the Custer State Park in SD. We'll hit Cody, WY along the way. We'll have 5 nights in Custer SP and hit Rushmore, Jewel Cave, Deadwood, (maybe the Minute Man Missile site?) while there.

Does anyone have thoughts on "must see" things along the way? My boys are 13 & 14, so I think they're at an age where they'll really enjoy the trip too. They already can't stop talking about it.

I've been wanting to do something like this for a long time. Thanks for any tips and advise you may have.

Ryan

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The "Buffalo Bill center" in Cody.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Needles In Custer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you all like to hike, take some time to get off the road in Yellowstone. You will be amazed at how much there is to see within a short walk and you will have the place to yourself once you get a few hundred yards away from the parking areas!

http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/dayhikes.htm

Last edited by Stush; 01/16/15.

Stush
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't breeze by the Tetons without a visit. The view from Jackson Lake Lodge is awesome. I don't know about trailer camping around there, but I would try to spend a night somewhere around there. Skip Jackson if you need to. About 2 hours is all you need to get your fill of it.

The Cody museum mentioned earlier provides many hours of entertainment.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It's not too far out of the way to see the little bighorn battlefield between Cody and mt Rushmore. Also, If you like mountain man stuff, there's a pretty cool little museum in Chadron, NE. I know they're not in the states you listed, but they're cool places to see.

Oh yeah, and devils tower. Take lots of water if you decide to hike the trail around it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool, I used to work in Custer State Park. Don't take the 5th wheel through the tunnels on the Needles Highway or the 3 on hwy 16A (Iron Mountain Road) south of Mt. Rushmore. The section of 16A that runs east-west through through Custer State Park is fine.

R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Had planned on hitting the Buffalo Bill center. Thanks for the tip on Needles, Ghost. We'll definitely spend time hiking. I'd much rather do that than stand around in the crowds.

Cheyenne - I'm actually looking at a couple of places to camp around Jackson Lake. Wasn't really planning on spending much time in Jackson itself unless someone mentioned something worth seeing.

Hadn't thought of Little Bighorn yet, thanks dassa.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the tip Sagebrusher. We'll be staying in the Game Lodge campground.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
1st Stop Guns, Scheels, and Cabelas in Rapid City. Leeders and Cabelas in Mitchell. Sodak Sporting Goods in Aberdeen. Gary's Gun Shop and Scheels in Sioux Falls.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
RyanTx, you will be seeing some of my favorite spots in the world. Custer State Park blew me away on the 1st visit. It is like driving through a giant zoo. Lots of campgrounds around the park. Make sure you drive up the good dirt road to Fisherman's Creek and hike that area.

The North fork of the Shoshone River between Cody and Yellowstone is where my ashes will be scattered. Lots of campgrounds but I would guess they fill up pretty fast in the summer so check on reservations.
Be sure to hike up Elk Creek. There is a nice FS campground there but I believe it is limited to trailers under 25'.

you will be amazed, enjoy!

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Badlands National Park

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BangPop
Badlands National Park
Had me worried Tim, thought you was going to say the Bar at Swett with Mikie

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Depending on when in the summer, Wyo Rodeo in Sheridan (1st week of July?) the Stampede in Cheyenne. If into golf, the Powder Horn just south of Sheridan is a great setup. Don't miss Custers Last Stand just north of the Montana/Wyoming border just off I90.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I could like be your navigator. cool

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep Buffalo Bill Center . Cody is a great town!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You'll drive right by this, but unless you make a little turn, you;ll never see it. Better than anything you'll see in Yellowstone (maybe not - but it's still pretty amazing).

[Linked Image]

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 01/16/15.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by blanket
Originally Posted by BangPop
Badlands National Park
Had me worried Tim, thought you was going to say the Bar at Swett with Mikie
I thought about that but there is a time limit on his trip. It's worth seeing in all its glory. Local characters included.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2 hours in Jackson is about 1 1/2 hours too much, keep on going, camp at Jackson Lake.

Figure at LEAST two days in Cody just to see the museum. Camp at the Buffalo Bill Reservoir campground.

Make reservations NOW for wherever you decide to go.

Having had quite a bit of experience with the subject, a bit of advice if you don't mind. Many, many people set out on a trip like this and try to see too many places in too short a time. Vastly better to go see a couple or three places for a few days apiece, you will be more rested and able to enjoy the sights , and you will see lots of neat things that you will miss if you just sort of drive through. You will get back home already planning your next trip instead of getting there exhausted, frustrated and never wanting to go again.

Last edited by jnyork; 01/16/15.

[Linked Image]
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
My wife and I did nearly the same trip last September. You are getting some good advice here. Though there is lots to see in Yellowstone, we preferred the Tetons hands down. Better hiking, more wildlife and less people. (Just our opinion.) The Buffalo Bill museum was great and the drive from Cody to Buffalo was beautiful. The Little Bighorn site was interesting and an easy side trip. Whatever you do, don't be afraid to take a detour here or there to find things that others may pass right by.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

319 members (280shooter, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 39 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,239
Posts18,485,851
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.