Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#9509427 01/13/15
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a 219 Savage in 30/30. Thinking about rechambering to the 30/40 craig. Would it be worth a shot or a waste of time??? Would I gain any performance??

IF grasshoppers carried 45's Big birds wouldn't fool with them Guns are like jello, theres always room for more!!!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a number of Savage 219s.
I can recommend the DeHaas book, Potpourri Single shot actions with 6 pages on the Sav 219
http://www.amazon.com/potpourri-single-shot-rifles-actions/dp/B0006F2FXY

I understand how that last version, the 219L-D, is hated by DeHaas. There are sheet metal parts that are difficult to assemble after replacing a firing pin. But I have worked up to 92kpsi in 30-30 according to quickload, and the large rifle primer is as top hatted as I have seen.

The older the 219, the better.
The action is stronger than a bolt action.
The action is more gas proof than most, with the enclosed striker.

I buy everyone I see. They are cheap for what they are.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just curious about a problem I've noted with the 219 in shotgun form.
If the trigger is pulled with the safety engaged does the rifle/shotgun then discharge when the safety is slid forward without any trigger pressure?
That's what I've found early on with my 219 12 gauge.
Curious if that was unique to my 219 or common between all of the models.

I like it here. They let me swear.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Personally I wouldn't rechamber a .30-30 219 to .30-40 unless the chamber was damaged and needed to be recut to get rid of scoring or pitting. I used to know an old guy that had his 219 rechambered to .30-40 for that reason and it worked just fine. However, he only shot it one or two times each elk season, so it didn't get a lot of testing. Used factory Rem "Core-lokd" 180s and still had six left of the original box after about five elk seasons and at least three "meat elk!"

219s and 220s often develop splits in the stock behind the action, and going up to a heavier recoiling caliber won't help that. I'd think a more reasonable choice would be .30-30 Ackley Improved, if you're handloader, But if you handload, the standard .30-30 can be "improved" in a single shot quite a bit by a slightly hotter load and a better shaped, lighter bullet, like a Barnes 130 or Sierra 125g gr. Doesn't add much recoil, either.

POPGUN, THAT would be a malfunction; something is wrong with the trigger or safety mechanism. Needs to be fixed.

I agree with the remarks by Clarkm about 219s/220. Only thing wrong with them is that they aren't made any more. Oh, and they break firing pins if you dry fire them--get or make snap caps for every caliber/guage you have. DON'T ask me how I know this....

Are you guys aware of the website www.savagesingleshots.com ??

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

Last edited by Mesa; 01/15/15.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one that my son uses. It was my dad's when he was a kid. He had the 30-30 barrel but it got lost in a house fire. During the time I had it, it had the original 20 gauge barrel. Now my son uses it for pheasant hunting. We bought a 22 hornet barrel for it. I was surprised how accurate it is.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I inherited one 25 years ago when my old man died. He had accumulated the Hornet, .30-30, and .25-20 barrels for it along with 16 and 20 gauge barrels. I didn't care for Savages of any kind, or break open single shots back then, so I horse traded it away. One of the few gun deals I now regret doing. (But on the other hand, the WWI-issue 1911 Colt I took in trade was pretty cool though!)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I bought one about thirty years ago and owned it for all of two days before I re-chambered it to 30/40 Krag. It worked great and I should not have sold it. I think that is a great conversion and would choose the 30/40 over the 30/30AI every time. GD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These guns were one of the true bargains from years past. They are accurate, handy & fast handling, and they're much safer for a kid as a starter gun. Those small hands don't strain in vain to cock a hammer in a hurry in the field. The hammerless Savage 219/220 was/is the best gun made for the new young hunter.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

AND...no, I wouldn't have it re-chambered, unless you have good reason like a badly damaged chamber.

Last edited by luv2safari; 01/15/15.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nice pics. Nothing better than a smiling kid holding a dead bird and a shotgun! I wish my dad had been a camera guy too.

Those of you who re-chambered to .30-40: what was recoil like? I'm thinking it would be pretty stiff in such a light rig. The older I get, the more I shy away from things that rattle my teeth!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

First bird.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Partagas
[Linked Image]

First bird.

OUTSTANDING!! cool cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice pics.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for all the Feedback!!! Not going to rechamber!! Will be using the new Hornandy Ammo. Any one have a 219 for sale??? Would like another. Thanks!!

IF grasshoppers carried 45's Big birds wouldn't fool with them Guns are like jello, theres always room for more!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (Akhutr, 358wsm, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 12 invisible), 1,506 guests, and 797 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,924
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.