Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
Fish oil

We have the winner. The original formulation of WD40 was majority fish oil. I understand that has been removed, which would explain the decrease in popularity as fish attractant.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
Fish oil

We have the winner. The original formulation of WD40 was majority fish oil. I understand that has been removed, which would explain the decrease in popularity as fish attractant.

It never had any fish oil
That's an urban myth, like most of the claims made about it

http://wd40.com/cool-stuff/myths-legends-fun-facts

Myth: WD-40� contains fish oil.

Fact: Consumers have told us over the years that they have caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40�. We believe this legend came from folks assuming that the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish.

Sorry Charlie�, it just ain�t so.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joken2
I've known several old timers that suffered with arthritis and rheumatism who swore WD-40 rubbed in to the affected joints gave them relieve from the pain.

A friend of mine, his grandfather did this. He was a union wrench most of his life.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is going to be a wild ride. Please bear with me. If I had not witnessed it myself . . . you get the idea. So much for the disclaimer.

Back in the day when I was an up and coming shaman, folks used to be amazed at how much odd stuff I had in my dorm room, then my apartment, then my house that gradually became the Black Hole Coffee House. It developed a mythos. The word on the street was that there was no gravity. My place just sucked. There was a myth about the large green chair I sat in. Supposedly it had a small black hole, a naked singularity, residing in it. There was another one in the war surplus Hicks Pack I carried when I was out. I was a budding young performance artist, so you really never knew what was going to come out of that pack or out of the chair. The myths began to grow and swirl. There was a monthly column in the local underground magazine. I had my own comic book. I was performing every weekend at the Cafe Nior. It was my buddy Kenny's place. He'd meant to call it Cafe Noir, but he couldn't spell.

WD-40 played an interesting role. Supposedly, I filed things in my little mini black holes in sort of a modified FIFO method. So if you asked me to produce a tea cup from the depths of my chair, I might have to produce a ball bat, baby shoes and some Archie comics before I could get at the tea cup. Some things would get stuck, and everyone knew you needed to spray a little WD-40 into the black hole to get it unstuck. This was all part of the schtick.

No here's where it starts to get strange. I've kept a pocket knife on a dog chain in my pocket since high school. Well, one day I was getting out of the green chair and the pocket knife got caught on something in the chair as I stood up. The knife got pulled off the split ring it was on and got sucked into the chair. Try as I might, I could not find it, even though I had seen it go in. I spent a good half-hour looking for that knife.

Then it hit me: use the WD-40. I felt a little sheepish giving in to this schlocky faux superstition. I was alone. There was no audience to amaze. It was just me and the chair. Still, I finally did resort to spritzing some WD-40 into the crack of the chair. That knife must have been severely stuck in a spring or something. The next thing I know this Swiss Army Knife comes rocketing out of the chair, past my head and lands out in the middle of the room. I was shaken.

I had a buddy that was also studying to be a shaman at that point-- an ex-Israeli paratrooper. I called her up to tell her what had happened. E. (I can't use her real name) got me calmed down and fessed up that that she'd seen similar stuff with superstitions in her unit. She theorized that we had all put such emotional energy into this whole mini black hole/ WD40 thing it was becoming real.

I had one more experience with the WD40. This was after I'd given up being a performance artist. I was cleaning a Ruger 10/22 in my chair, and I slipped out the trigger group to clean it. I knocked loose a spring and it went down into the chair. I tried everything before resorting to the WD40, but when I did finally spray WD40 down the crack the spring magically appeared on the floor under the chair. I heard it hit.

There were some physics types coming around The Hole at that time. One was a physics professor at U.C. Bob had worked on the Manhattan Project. There was a discussion one night on how it could all be happening. It was finally decided that the WD40 was causing some kind of breach in the Law of Cosmic Censorship, and mucking with the Lorentzian Manifold.

That's my story. I'm sticking to it. The green chair in question is now down the basement in Angus' room. He says he's still finding strange stuff coming out of the cracks.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've used it for probably 20 years as a flea spray for my dogs...works amazing. Spray them down from head to toe and I usually try rubbing it in a little, but its hard to hold on to a dog sprayed with WD-40 cuz they immediately start wallowing around in the grass to get rid of the itching as every flea on them tries to escape to no avail - kills them instantly, makes for a nice shiny coat, and it lasts for weeks. Try it, you'll be amazed if your in an area thats bad for fleas.

I have also used it as a previous poster stated for combing out rat tails and knots in the manes and tails of horses - works really slick.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ringman
Rock Chuck,

WD stands for water displacemen and it does just that. It's a cleaner and protector but it's not a lubricant.

Since I don't know what to use for cutting aluminum I tried WD40 and it seems okay. It was there so I used it. Seems better than dry.
The main purpose of cutting oil is to keep it cool so the stuff should work fine for that.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This
Ps: it taste like fish oil to me
Originally Posted by slymule
I've used it for probably 20 years as a flea spray for my dogs...works amazing. Spray them down from head to toe and I usually try rubbing it in a little, but its hard to hold on to a dog sprayed with WD-40 cuz they immediately start wallowing around in the grass to get rid of the itching as every flea on them tries to escape to no avail - kills them instantly, makes for a nice shiny coat, and it lasts for weeks. Try it, you'll be amazed if your in an area thats bad for fleas.

I have also used it as a previous poster stated for combing out rat tails and knots in the manes and tails of horses - works really slick.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 1899guy
I wipe down my guns with it all the time. Whats the big problem? I have done this since the early 70's, no issues at all.

Me Too!!!!

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by natman
For anyone who still thinks WD40 isn't a lubricant...

But what kind of lubricant? Will it stand up to high pressures? Will it thicken with cold? Will it turn into gum over time?

Doesn't matter for most utility applications but I'm fussy about firearms. You've got the tolerances of a watch right next to parts containing 65,000 PSI and local pressures like in trigger groups and bolt camming surfaces getting pretty
close to the limits of the steel. I like to know I'm giving them all the help I can, like a lubricant I know is designed for those conditions.

I know, fussy fussy.

Tolerances of a watch? Seriously?
I think any oil would thicken in cold temps. 65,000? Where is that? I never oil a trigger and I would use grease
for a cam not oil.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It keeps my snow blower chute from clogging if I spray before I start blowing. That's my major use of WD-40. I use it occasionally to remove gummy stuff like sticker residue.

I prefer to use products in their intended uses. WD-40 was intended as a water displacer and a mild solvent. Because it is mostly a petroleum distillate, I would never use it on my body or into a body of water.

I learned over and over again that WD-40 is death itself when used inside a semi-auto .22 firearm. Combined with powder residue under heat, it forms a horrible black tarry goo that completely prevents the action from working. I've cleaned hundreds of .22 rifles brought in to the gun store where I worked, and always had to tell the customer to stop using WD-40 in the gun. Many refused to believe it - and they'd be back in a year or so with the same gun all gunked up.

If used ONLY on the exterior of a gun, it may not be a problem (although it does ruin some finishes.) But inside? Horrible.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree completely with what Rocky said. I have seen these problems with .22 rifles, also.

From reading some of these postings I am starting to think that breathing too many WD-40 fumes may have mind altering properties.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Kinda like war.. Absolutely nothing.. whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ringman
Rock Chuck,

WD stands for water displacemen and it does just that. It's a cleaner and protector but it's not a lubricant.

Since I don't know what to use for cutting aluminum I tried WD40 and it seems okay. It was there so I used it. Seems better than dry.

I've bought and purchased the stuff by the gallon,....many gallons, and have used it forever on a host of applications one of which is EMPHATICALLY not firearms lubrication. At this point in history, and after years of seeing and hearing about gummed up actions, it would strike me that only the RETARDED would do so.

Pertinent to the quoted above though,....here's another application to AVOID.

Machining, Cutting, Tapping Aluminum ? Yeah, that's OK,it will improve aluminum chip forming processes (though there are better choices).
Be DAMNED careful if your Al alloy has any Magnesium content,.... At a certain point, and under the right pressure / heat condition ANY petrol based solvent will act as an OXIDIZER, and you'll see some very weird smoke,...and wreck some parts too, maybe.

Don't even THINK of trying to use it around the purer magnesium alloys.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by nighthawk
For anyone who still thinks WD40 isn't a lubricant...

But what kind of lubricant? Will it stand up to high pressures? Will it thicken with cold? Will it turn into gum over time?

Let me make it clear - I don't use WD40 or any other combo solvent/lube on my guns and I'm not advocating that anybody else does either. I know when I want a solvent and I know when I want a lube and I prefer to use something meant for the specific task at hand.

I just wanted to refute the silly "not a lubricant" idea that somebody always brings up whenever WD40 is mentioned. It may not be a high pressure lubricant, nor a low temperature lubricant, but it definitely is a lubricant.

I can imagine that it would not work well in the dirty environment of a 22 semiauto action. I've also had to use it as a cutting oil and it's not very good at that either. Both are specialized applications require specialized oils for best results.

I've heard the gumming "problem" mentioned often enough that there must be something to it, but I've never been able to make it do it. I suspect that the solvents in WD40 may interact with something else to form a gummy residue.

Last edited by natman; 01/18/15.
Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
I got a cabin with better than a 1/2 dozen firearms that stay there... we shoot the chit out of them ..then hose them down inside and out with wd 40 ...no rust and they shine like new.....been doing it that for better than 12 years!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Works great on SNOW SHOVELS. Flip and zip!

You betcha!

My neighbor and I were shoveling out our cars after a heavy wet snowfall... I sprayed my shovel and the snow stopped sticking -- a LOT less work!

This impressed the heck out of my neighbor so I sprayed his shovel too.

Apparently the WD-40 trick for wet snow and snow shovels never made it here to Sweden even though you can buy WD-40 here.

John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by whelennut
Tolerances of a watch? Seriously?
I think any oil would thicken in cold temps. 65,000? Where is that? I never oil a trigger and I would use grease
for a cam not oil.

Ever try to get a quality trigger group just right with stones and other implements of destruction? Angles, surfaces, engagement must be precise to the tenths. That's the goal anyway.

65 kpsi chamber pressure plus extra for safety, all to fail in the least destructive way.

What amazes me is something like sear engagement. Not a terribly great amount of force there but the engagement is so slight (depending on design) and the engagement area so small the pounds per square inch skyrocket. Properly heat treated tool steel is necessary in something like a Timney to hold up reliably.

Amazing machines with how many hours of engineering into them only God knows. And that doesn't include the artistry in making them beautiful starting with embellishing even before the arquebus.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R

I've heard the gumming "problem" mentioned often enough that there must be something to it, but I've never been able to make it do it.
Well, I've personally SEEN the results of people using WD-40 in their firearms and it's a product to be avoided for that use.. Although, on the plus side, I've made money from removing/cleaning up the residue.. smile smile

IMVHO it's a great product to help loosen rusty bolts on some old farm machinery etc., but NOT something to be put on or in any firearm..

YMMV..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yup,
In our desert temps it can go to a fairly STICKY, waxy condition in a matter of days.
The combination of wax, fine dust and lint, regularly re-applied WD 40 sets up into a nice hard sludge eventually.Seems to be the lever guns and revolvers suffer the worst from this "care".

I'm thinking that trait is probably not as evident in Northern climes.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,141
Posts18,484,085
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.