Hop To
#9531911 01/20/15
M
mikeone Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I live out in the sticks a little ways,and have been thinking about getting my fireplace converted to a gas log.
My current home is total electric,with a fireplace,and I have a good supply of wood.
I'm wanting something a little easier to deal with.
I would have to use propane out here because there is no gas.

Do you like your gas log ?
I want a back up if we lose power.
Thanks,
Mike

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
We have a wood burning fireplace in our living room and an unvented gas log heater in a 20 x 20 den. The gas log heater is way convenient when we are staying mostly in the den anyway and don't want to keep the temp up in the rest of the house. And ours run on propane as well. But I'd hate to have to make a decision between wood and propane if I could have only one.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If I could only have one it would be wood and not in an open fireplace. An insert burning wood is not near as nice to watch but it will provide real heat.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The only thing is that mine needs power for the blower fan, so get one that you can run without needing the fan going.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't imagine having backup heat that was anything other than wood, and yes an actual wood burning stove, not a fireplace.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A buddy has a free standing gas log stove in his home. Does very little to heat the place and costs him a couple hundred+ a month. I've not seen one yet that served as a good primary heat source. Decorative yes, but real heat, no.

I'll stick with the wood stove until I can no longer pack wood.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/20/15.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Ventless sucks...

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have ventless propane gas logs in my fireplace. They put out plenty of heat, they will heat most of the house if I need it. They're not my primary heat and they'd be expensive if used that way but when the electricity goes out the gas logs are excellent backup for the heat pump. Real wood would be cheaper but I don't have the time to cut, split, and haul the amount of wood that would be needed. I also like the instant on aspect of the logs. I work off and leave the heat turned way down when I'm away. I can walk in the cold house, turn the heat on, fire up the gas logs and the house is warm quickly.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Some ventless put out small invisible amounts of soot in the house that eventually foul everything in the house. Even if they don't they dump a ton of humidity in the house and some smell like kerosene. I know because I have one I never use for the above reasons. I can really smell the kerosene smell, and my neighbors with the same unit battled fierce condensation issues.

Read more here.

Last edited by K1500; 01/20/15.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The only way I would use gas in a fireplace is with this. It heats the place in Idaho quickly and efficiently.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
gas is fast heat and its moist heat which is warmer to you.go for it.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yep and used when we arrive. But once settled in the place we light off this. Each bedroom, bathroom and the laundry room have electric base board heating too though rarely used. The previous owner/builder covered all bases even with cooking. smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Wife and I bought this place last summer. Our other place up north has a wood stove, as did this place. Here, we replaced the wood stove with a natural gas outfit by Vermont Castings. It's sits where the woodstove did, it's outside vented (coax pipes so it's not sucking combustion air from the house.) Because of the design of the house it heats the whole house nicely and costs almost nothing to operate. It's beautiful to look at. The first time I saw one of these in a restaurant I thought it was really a wood stove, until I looked behind it and saw the gas line going in. Given the cleanliness and convenience it's a bargain. I've dealt with wood enough years.

Mathew 22: 37-39

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Wife and I use ventless gas logs(propane) as an emergency heat source and as a back up to the heat pump on really cold nights. They work well and will keep the house relatively warm if the power goes out.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We installed a Quadrafire gas insert before Thanksgiving and it does a great job heating the living room and bigger part of the house. It can be fitted for use with propane or natural gas. I like that it's pretty efficient and doesn't look as blue as many gas fires, and my wife loves the wireless remote/thermostat and instant fire. We like it enough that we're considering installing a gas stove in the opposite end of the house.

I prefer wood but there are so many red air days here that we can only burn a few times between November and March.

[Linked Image]

What would Porter Rockwell do?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

299 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 37 invisible), 2,530 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,759
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.