Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Nutshell version of the facts--49 years old this September. Started smoking at 46 years;never ,not once before. 2 packs a day. Going to try the cold-turkey approach Monday and would like to know--from those in the know--what to actually expect and the best way to deal with it--I couldn't find an archives past for this so forgive what might be perceived as laziness---I'm all ears--Thanks much!!!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
xpect cravin's...lotsa tooth-picks.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Why in the world would anyone ever start smoking after 46 years without it? Here is the solution, don't buy any cigarettes. If you don't buy them, you can't smoke them. It really is that simple.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also expect to gain weight.

Your mind has to be right to get this done. I quit thirteen times over some 26 years of smoking, the thirteenth was the charm.

Like any bad habit, you'll want to say ,"ah, screw it, I'll just have this one; I'll taper off lightly." That doesn't work.

Get rid of all the cigarettes in the house. ALL of them - flush them or whatever it takes to make then unobtainable, otherwise you'll find yourself digging through garbage looking for one. BTDT.

Whenever the craving starts, you just have to think, "I can resist this ONE cigarette. That's all I have to do, resist this one." Do NOT think about the days ahead, just resist that ONE - resisting one at a time adds up to days worth of resistance.

The nicotine addiction will be broken in a few days - really, it only takes maybe 3-4 days. But the conditioned reflex will be with you for a long time. I quit in 1991 and even five years later, leaving a movie theater or some situation where you always lit up, suddenly you'll find yourself wanting one. That's not too bad though, and is easy to resist. It's not nicotine craving, it's just your mind falling back on conditioned reflex.

Oh, one last thing. NEVER NEVER NEVER light up again. NEVER think, well, it's been a year, and a cig and beer go so good together, I'll bum just one. NEVER do that - it's like an alcoholic falling off the wagon. I had quit for six months and did that in a moment of weakness, and bingo, back to smoking again for the next umpteen years.

I honestly wish you the very best of luck. It's hard, damned hard, but worth every minute of the hard times you'll experience the first week.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
C
C
Jim in Idaho wrote:
The nicotine addiction will be broken in a few days - really, it only takes maybe 3-4 days. But the conditioned reflex will be with you for a long time. I quit in 1991 and even five years later, leaving a movie theater or some situation where you always lit up, suddenly you'll find yourself wanting one. That's not too bad though, and is easy to resist. It's not nicotine craving, it's just your mind falling back on conditioned reflex.

Best advice I've heard. I quit 5 years ago and I still want one just as bad as the first day. I realize that it is the reflex not the addiction. Good luck and if you want to quit bad enough, it will work. It's worth thr pain.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Quit today or tomorrow for twenty four hours- anybody can do that. Next day take three cigarettes, go in a closet or small bathroom, and smoke them one at a time, taking a puff every five to seven seconds.- have a barf bag handy.
On the day you quit throw away all but three and save those for emergencys, if you just have to smoke, repeat the process above. Chances are you will be so afraid of those last three that you will never break down and smoke.
I found sunflower seeds helped a lot. Candy or sweets duplicate the blood sugar swings that smoking gives you and induce cravings when the blood sugar drops- that's bad.
I quit over thirty years ago

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
It replaced my quittin" drinkin"---Don't need to call me a dumbass for starting so late--I already know that's a fact!! I'll listen to your advice on the buying though--thanks

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
It replaced my quittin" drinkin"---Don't need to call me a dumbass for starting so late--I already know that's a fact!! I'll listen to your advice on the buying though--thanks

Well,.... there goes my idea.

I was gonna recommend taking up drinking.

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
I read so many of your replies Bristoe and you do F___in crack me up

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Well,.... there goes my idea.

I was gonna recommend taking up drinking.

Yeah, me too.

War Damn Eagle!

IC B3

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Don't think I wouldn't love to take your advice 280!!

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Its given knowing its not good advice...just the only advice I had.

War Damn Eagle!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Your most difficult problem will be your habits.

when you normally light up and what you have around your house.

Get rid of all the ashtrays, lighters, matches and parafanalia that is associated with smoking.

WASH all your clothes and wipe down as much stuff as you can. It all contains "remnants" of your smoking and will "trigger" a need, real or percieved. Yes even wash your clean clothes.

Paint the walls! Smoke and nicotine are probably eminating from them.

De smokify your vehicles, the most common place your may smoke. Get rid of the lighters in the car and empty the ashtray.

The best way is to Sanitize your house, car, living spaces of your smoking habits. This will keep you busy and not smoking and probably test your will power.

Don't smoke while your cleaning up!

but the most problems will be your desire to do something with you hands. Since your not smoking you'll be nervous looking and probably need something to occupy your hands. Get a deck of cards, shuffle them, learn coin tricks, and to other idle things that will keep your hands busy and easily fit into your pocket instead of your smokes and lighter. So when you reach for a cig, you'll have your "toy" to occupy you with instead of smoking.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Go to the doc, and get welbutrin tablets. I hear there is even a better one now, that blocks the crave, from entering the receptors. Why punish yourself? Do it the easy way.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Go to the doc, and get welbutrin tablets. I hear there is even a better one now, that blocks the crave, from entering the receptors. Why punish yourself? Do it the easy way.

+1, wifey is a nurse and says same thing about welbutrin.

War Damn Eagle!

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Aren't they some shrink meds for depression?/ You know--Side effects and schitt!!!!

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There was some good advice here a while back and a link to some info about some smoking researchers data.

To get past the nicotine dependency with the least possible pain their advice was to first wean the amount of nicotine you were taking in.

Marlboro reds 1.1 mg of nicotine
Marlboro lights .8 mg of nicotine
Merit Ultra lite .5 mg
Carlton or Now 100's .2mg
Cartlon or Now Kings .1 mg

They suggested switching brands every 2 weeks to lower your nicotine intake.

They also advised that you will probably smoke more of the brands with lesser nicotine than your current brand but that it still made sense to do the step down routine.

i.e. you smoke 2 packs a day (you didn't say what brand)

but say you smoke M ligts at .8 mg, if you wean your way down to Carltons and smoke even 4 packs a day you won't be putting as much nicotine in your system in fact only about 1/2 of what you were before.

It's suppossed to help with that initial cold turkey stage, not eliminate it just help.

The other reflex addiction will probably last a looongg time as others have stated.

We all know lot's of folks that just quit cold turkey and for some it works well. But this made sense to me.

Also gotta agree with the NEVER light up again, once an addict always an addict. And I've heard that nicotine is more addictive than heroin.

Good luck to you, sincerely. I've been on the Carltons for awhile now, that's phase one for me, weaning myself from nicotine.

Phase two is a low carb diet to get as lean as possible before going down cold turkey road and minimize the weight gain. Have yet to start phase two, though have done it before, went from 215 to 185 and desired to hit 175 but never made it.

If I can get disciplined enough to see 185 again, I'm gonna do the cold turkey thing but maybe with the aid of smoking cessastion products.

Good luck to you from one fellow addict to another.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Aren't they some shrink meds for depression?/ You know--Side effects and schitt!!!!

Let me email wife and see. Be right back.

BTW, PM sent to you.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The only side effect I had, was a bit of weight gain. Pills or no pills, you will have that.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
That's the way I quit, but I had to quit every day for about six months or more....not meaning I smoked, but I had to resist smoking that ONE cigarette I wanted so much.

After six months, you probably have to quit about once a week, and after a year about once a month. Now, not only don't have the desire to smoke, the smell of it really sucks.

Just remember, you only have to resist one cigarette. The one you want, and that's it. Oh, you'll make up all kinds of reasons why you should smoke, but don't give in to them. That's the nicotine talking.

If you never smoke another one, then you've quit. If you ever smoke that first one, that one you really want, then you've started again and have undone all the good hard work you've accomplished. Just don't smoke that ONE cigarette, and you've got it whipped.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

347 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 163bc, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 40 invisible), 1,890 guests, and 990 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,541
Posts18,531,236
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.