Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Does lapping the barrel really make any difference? From that other thread a couple of weeks ago on cut vs button vs hammer forged I learned a whole lot I did not know.

When it comes to barrels I gather the stress relief process is the most important factor of all? Is lapping the tool marks out just some snake oil or is there something to it?

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
That would depend on the quality of the tooling used to rifle the barrel, and that would be with a direct relationship to the skills of the man doing the work.
Quality in, equals quality out!

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lapping a bad barrel will likely not make it good, but lapping a good barrel will almost assuredly make it better.

Some else said that before.......maybe Shilen?

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It's kinda like finishing concrete. You need to know when to leave it alone, let it rest or are you just playing in the mud.

It's all good, only if the person doing the work is good.

With barrels, I wouldn't want a "Broom Finish"..

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Most custom barrels are hand lapped before they are sold.In most factory barrels lapping makes little to no difference.Fire lapping can improve a barrels worn throat.Also works good on Revolvers to make the forcing cone and barrel the same size.JMHO ,Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only barrel that I have had any real luck with firelapping was a Marlin in 444. It had a couple of tight spots in the bore that were evident when you pushed a lead slug through the barrel. One tight spot was under the rear sight dovetail and another was where the dovetail for the magazine tube was cut into the barrel. The rifle would group into no better than 3 inches at 100 yards and mostly larger than that. This was an unusually inaccurate Marlin in my experience and was going to get sold if it couldn't be fixed. I ordered a kit with bullets and lapping compound and followed the included directions. The bore looked much smoother and groups that measured 1 inch to 1.5 inches became what I could expect from that rifle.

I have to admit that I have tried it on a couple of other rifles without such dramatic success, but it did work on that Marlin.

Harry
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For real efficacy, fine barrels are lapped after they are bored and before they are rifled.

Subsequent lapping might add a little polish, but only address stuff at maybe the micron level.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/20/15.

1Minute
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Yes, hand lapping help, but it has to be done when the barrel is new, other wise you will do more harm then good.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a savage in .223 that didn't shoot the light bullets very well when it was new, so I hand lapped it and it seemed to help. I generally hand lap anything that's going to be running a sabot as well. Otherwise, I don't do it much anymore, although sometimes I do clean with JB bore paste, which is kind of similar.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Remington Model Seven stainless, and when it was new I fire-lapped the barrel. Before doing that I could see imperfections in the barrel. After, they were gone. I can't say it improved the accuracy or not, but I think it did. What I can see is that the barrel stays cleaner.

Steve,

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've run Tubbs final finish through a few and I believe they all shot a bit better. Certainly smoother and more even when pushing a patch through. Cleaned easier too.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Mathsr
The only barrel that I have had any real luck with firelapping was a Marlin in 444. It had a couple of tight spots in the bore that were evident when you pushed a lead slug through the barrel. One tight spot was under the rear sight dovetail and another was where the dovetail for the magazine tube was cut into the barrel. The rifle would group into no better than 3 inches at 100 yards and mostly larger than that. This was an unusually inaccurate Marlin in my experience and was going to get sold if it couldn't be fixed. I ordered a kit with bullets and lapping compound and followed the included directions. The bore looked much smoother and groups that measured 1 inch to 1.5 inches became what I could expect from that rifle.

I have to admit that I have tried it on a couple of other rifles without such dramatic success, but it did work on that Marlin.

I had the same experience with a Marlin 1894 in .25-20. The only tight spot, though, was over the magazine tube dovetail. Made a big difference.

Mathew 22: 37-39

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Almost all quality barrels are lapped. Some are lapped after reaming the bore as well as after rifling. They normally use 180-220 grit lapping compound. If you finish with 400-600-800 grit the barrel will copper foul.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
butch,

Are you saying that the "finer" finish actually fouls more? That seems counter-intuitive to me. Please explain.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's exactly what happens. Beyond a certain point, and even smoother finish results in more bullet contact with the bore, and hence more friction, resulting in more copper fouling. This is why some barrelmakers caution against using JB Compound very much in their lapped barrels. Eventually it creates an even smoother bore. Instead they like the bullet to be "riding" on top of the miniature striations created by a slightly coarser lapping grit.

JB usually doesn't affect unlapped barrels, however, because their surfaces aren't as smooth in the first place. But it can. My .338 Winchester has a take-off Sako barrel, which despite being pretty smooth tended to foul badly. Chemical cleaners took too long, so I started cleaning it with JB every time. That got rid of the fouling, but it started coming back even quicker. I was about to rebarrel the thing because it became caked with copper within 20 rounds, but then DBC came along and solved the problem.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I had a rebored rifle that was a fouling SOB. After 10 rounds, the accuracy was gone and I could make a penny out of the copper deposits. I firelapped it with lead bullets and 5 rounds of 220 grit, 10 rounds of 320 grit, 10 rounds of 400 grit, and 10 rounds of 600 grit. Afterwards the accracy was slightly better, but I couldn't get it to copper foul at all. Only took a couple patches for cleanup.So based on a sample of one,I wouldn't have an issue trying it again.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

It's kinda like finishing concrete. You need to know when to leave it alone, let it rest or are you just playing in the mud.

It's all good, only if the person doing the work is good.

With barrels, I wouldn't want a "Broom Finish"..

Great analogy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
That's exactly what happens. Beyond a certain point, and even smoother finish results in more bullet contact with the bore, and hence more friction, resulting in more copper fouling. This is why some barrelmakers caution against using JB Compound very much in their lapped barrels. Eventually it creates an even smoother bore. Instead they like the bullet to be "riding" on top of the miniature striations created by a slightly coarser lapping grit.

JB usually doesn't affect unlapped barrels, however, because their surfaces aren't as smooth in the first place. But it can. My .338 Winchester has a take-off Sako barrel, which despite being pretty smooth tended to foul badly. Chemical cleaners took too long, so I started cleaning it with JB every time. That got rid of the fouling, but it started coming back even quicker. I was about to rebarrel the thing because it became caked with copper within 20 rounds, but then DBC came along and solved the problem.

John,

Not being well versed on DBC, this seems to counter your statement that the smoother lapped/polished bore fouls more due to more bullet contact.

If I understand correctly, DBC "fills in the low points", creating a smoother bore.

Would that not be the same as "knocking down the high points" by fine lapping/polishing?

I suppose it could be that the miniature striations are left in place with DBC while the valleys are filled up, leaving less room for fouling to collect.

Any ideas why DBC seems to work, while too much polishing doesn't?

Thanks,
David

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
It might have something to do with the different surface of DBC as opposed to steel. But I don't really know.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had one Wilson barrel that gave me fits. Finally I was good and mad and I attacked it with coarse auto valve grinding goop on a tight patch. I took care to be consistent, but I full stroked that mutha like I meant it for about ten minutes.
I'd go until the goop dried, shove that out with Hoppes Nine, then go again with another patch of valve crud.
Had a stop block on the muzzle and a stop line in back to make sure I didn't trash the throat any worse.
Dressed the crown, cleaned the bore to white patches -- and the darn thing started drilling them in. Still have that barrel, on its second rifle.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (260madman, 1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 1minute, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,426
Posts18,489,172
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.