Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I would take a picture of it in a creek with a fish by it, then sell it to Boxer for $12,000.00 as a specialty long range masterpiece, then take the money and go by a nice Sako that balances and shoots better, to boot...

Schrapnel, not very charitable...sorry you don't like it wink

First it didn't cost anything like $12,000. So I couldn't in good faith sell it to anyone for that kind of money.Not that it's for sale.

And it's lighter than any Sako (the kind you like, the older one's) in equivalent chambering.Having handled the rifle you're talking about....last week.... that rifle is heavier than mine..without a scope and rings.

As it sits there, it's about an ounce or two under 8 pounds...like 7# 14 oz IIRC. I promise you, it shoots as well as any 7 Rem Mag Sako. smile As to it being a long range wonder, I sent Tanner pics of a 4.5"app. group fired with 162 Amax at 600 yards,awhile back.....I think that is passably good for a sub 8# rifle with a 6X scope.

I just sent bsa a picture of a 4 shot group fired at 100 yards.....musta pulled one. Looks to measure about 5/8ths(?) I don't bother shooting the rifle at 100 yards much anymore. Waste of time.

Cripes you guys have me digging out rifles in the middle of the night to check this stuff...I just held my left hand vertically and balanced the rifle on it; balance point was right under the front action screw.

Gee I wonder how that happened? confused I will take some pics today at range and text to BSA if I have time. I don't post pics.

Specs are M70 Classic action, Krieger #2 with some light contouring ,Williams BM. Echols Legend Edge. DD's and 6x36.

bra thanks for posting...had no idea and just saw this.Matt's rifle is exactly the same blueprint. He got his barrel from me since I had a spare and Gene contoured them much the same.

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/18/15.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Isn't it amazing I have ever shot a single animal with such heavy guns? Of course I never expected anyone to take me serious about the recommendation, but few people on the campfire post much about using nice guns when they are hunting.

Still, I would bet the heavy inaccurate Sako will still bring home the bacon. I have killed plenty with heavy inaccurate model 70's too, and not one animal that I shot with them said anything about how inaccurate or heavy the gun was.

I have to post the alternative just to remind people that light guns aren't always the only answer to successful hunting...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I would take a picture of it in a creek with a fish by it, then sell it to Boxer for $12,000.00 as a specialty long range masterpiece, then take the money and go by a nice Sako that balances and shoots better, to boot...

Schrapnel, not very charitable...sorry you don't like it wink

First it didn't cost anything like $12,000. So I couldn't in good faith sell it to anyone for that kind of money.Not that it's for sale.

And it's lighter than any Sako (the kind you like, the older one's) in equivalent chambering.Having handled the rifle you're talking about....last week.... that rifle is heavier than mine..without a scope and rings.

As it sits there, it's about an ounce or two under 8 pounds...like 7# 14 oz IIRC. I promise you, it shoots as well as any 7 Rem Mag Sako. smile As to it being a long range wonder, I sent Tanner pics of a 4.5"app. group fired with 162 Amax at 600 yards,awhile back.....I think that is passably good for a sub 8# rifle with a 6X scope.

I just sent bsa a picture of a 4 shot group fired at 100 yards.....musta pulled one. Looks to measure about 5/8ths(?) I don't bother shooting the rifle at 100 yards much anymore. Waste of time.

Cripes you guys have me digging out rifles in the middle of the night to check this stuff...I just held my left hand vertically and balanced the rifle on it; balance point was right under the front action screw.

Gee I wonder how that happened? confused I will take some pics today at range and text to BSA if I have time. I don't post pics.

Specs are M70 Classic action, Krieger #2 with some light contouring ,Williams BM. Echols Legend Edge. DD's and 6x36.

bra thanks for posting...had no idea and just saw this.Matt's rifle is exactly the same blueprint. He got his barrel from me since I had a spare and Gene contoured them much the same.

Bob your rifle sounds like it balances just like my 338. Hey man, those pictures you sent of the groups are awesome!! The 4 shot group looks to be about .7" and the other 3 shot group looks to be in the .3" range. Extremely accurate and sexy rifles Bob. Thanks for getting back with us, even though you had to dig them out in the middle of the night.. laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
[Linked Image]

~ 3/4inch in front of the action screw is where the rifle currently balances.
I'll take another picture after the Talley LWs are installed.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Isn't it amazing I have ever shot a single animal with such heavy guns? Of course I never expected anyone to take me serious about the recommendation, but few people on the campfire post much about using nice guns when they are hunting.

Still, I would bet the heavy inaccurate Sako will still bring home the bacon. I have killed plenty with heavy inaccurate model 70's too, and not one animal that I shot with them said anything about how inaccurate or heavy the gun was.

I have to post the alternative just to remind people that light guns aren't always the only answer to successful hunting...

I don't remember saying anything to the contrary....not all my rifles are flea weights. I've hunted with a fair share of pre 64's myself. 300's 338's and 375's..They work fine,and they aren't light..I don't consider 8#'s "light"...but it isn't a burden either.

Here the discussion was about "balance" and balance is not always about weight...it's about....well...balance. smile

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
[Linked Image]

Makes sense....mine is at the action screw,a bit further back. But my barrel is a lighter contour. You might say they are for all practical purposes, about identical.

I expect my 7 RM with factory barrel and Borden RR will be about exactly like yours and very nice as well.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I don't remember saying anything to the contrary....not all my rifles are flea weights. I've hunted with a fair share of pre 64's myself. 300's 338's and 375's..They work fine,and they aren't light..I don't consider 8#'s "light"...but it isn't a burden either.

Here the discussion was about "balance" and balance is not always about weight...it's about....well...balance. smile

Exactly. And a rifle that is balanced properly can actually feel lighter in the hands. If that makes any sense. It's funny, I find myself balancing my rifle on one finger sometimes when I'm carrying it in the woods. I get bored blush laugh

Back to the OP's rifle and now he posted a picture of where the balance point is on his rifle. Thanks, that is much appreciated:

Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
[Linked Image]

Now we can see what you are really referring to. Your barrel heavy, not "butt end heavy". At least that's what I'm seeing and that's what I was imagining with your particular rifle. I may be the odd duck here, but I like carrying my rifle right under the front action screw. Of course, the balance point will ultimately decide where your hand is going to be when carrying a rifle in the field.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Much agreed. I never mentioned in my post that I was concerned about weight. This is of course a Winchester, strong and reliable. If I was concerned about weight, I'd run right back to my NULA 270WBY.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yep, I understand it's about balance. I'm not understanding the "butt end heavy" statement. This is what I was trying to get across in my earlier post. I was imagining a rifle with just the opposite problem: Being barrel heavy by just a smidge, not "butt end heavy". Does that make sense? Your picture just confirmed what I was imagining.. As I said earlier, my rifle that is set up exactly like yours (factory tube cut down to 24"), except with a heavier factory Tupperware stock and heavier scope, is balanced about perfectly. Even though it is a heavier rifle:

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I agree it's probably barrel heavy after playing around with it a little more. I've torn the rifle apart for cleaning and it's ready for some range time. If it shoots with the factory tube, it will be to cerekote.

Last edited by Sakohunter264; 01/18/15.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sakohunter, some guys like the barrel heavy feel to their rifles. It is said to help with offhand shooting. As far as balance, is it something you think you can live with on this rifle? You may want to consider that before you put more money into it. However, we've all been where you are. I guess it's just part of the learning curve..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image]

Bob sent me some pictures of his beautiful custom 7mm mashburn rifle and that baby balances out just like my 338 win mag shown in the above pic.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This thread has been fun for me. BobinNH has been texting me pictures of his beautiful rifles balanced just perfectly like my 338 pictured above. I have also been putting some of my rifles on the little stand you see the 338 on and for the most part, they all balance out about the same. One thing I have to say: Balance should be a big consideration when setting your rifle up. Generally when you pull a rifle out of the safe, you should be able to tell right away if it is balanced properly. Good thread idea, even though the OP is probably more confused now than ever... laugh

BSA MAGA
TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SAKO- I am thankful you posted a pic of the balance point, confirming "barrel heavy" cause I thought, reading the first few posts that one of us must be crazy as I remember it being a bit muzzle heavy when it left the house last week grin

I hope it shoots well for you - what limited work I did with it showed promise. Would love to hear what it does with you trying a few different loads.
You gotta love that stock though right?

BSA, when are you gonna drink the Legend koolaide and try one?

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha.... whistle Been contemplating....You guys would think I'm really crazy though because it would have the cheek piece on the wrong side blush I've been thinking about putting one on my 375 H&H...Honestly though, I really like the Brown precision that is on my 338.

BSA MAGA
TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, that cheekpiece would be a deal breaker, I get that for sure.
Those Browns sure are nice too.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I threw a couple others on the balance beam today:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Pretty easy to get some stick on lead weights and play around until it feels right. Then epoxy some weight in the stock.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jimdgc
Pretty easy to get some stick on lead weights and play around until it feels right. Then epoxy some weight in the stock.

That's a good idea, if he wants to make the rifle a little heavier. He may have been better off ordering that one with a standard fill instead of the edge fill. They say hindsight is 50/50 though or is it 20/20 laugh. Probably pretty clear to him now any way you see it.. Call it a learning curve. Generally when I want to know something, I just ask BobinNH. laugh

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'll buy the Legend edge stock for what I want, and then you can buy a standard fill Legend to get the gun to balance correctly. I want it for a lightweight setup, and it would work perfectly. Honestly, fiddling with rings/scope setup isn't going to get you enough weight toward the back end to balance it out. A standard fill McM does balance just about perfect with the 24" sporter barrel.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,447
Posts18,489,641
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.