Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Now l know how some of those trees made it into orbit! LOL

Scott...misspent youth huh. Bet your graduates thank you to this day. ;-)

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I was on a road building project back in the day.

Powder man was a real old timer and deafer n a post.

Engineer told him to load the holes 3 feet from the bottom...
He hard 3 feet from the top!

They was deep holes.

Lordy when that bunch went off we got a helluva a surprise!
Huge rock pelting down all around us.

I turtled and speed prayed. Not a scratch! There was rocks as big as basketballs and larger all round us.

Fair bit of damage to equipment etc., but luckily no one injured.

Had to close the main hwy and it took hours to clear all the shot rock off to open it again.

Pretty deaf bunch for the next few days..lol.

Damn good to be lucky sometimes.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Anyone remember the television commercials for Master padlocks where they would shoot the lock with a rifle?

I seem to remeber Weatherby doing a commercial where they shot (and shattered) a master lock hanging on nail in front of a target.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Anyone remember the television commercials for Master padlocks where they would shoot the lock with a rifle?

I seem to remeber Weatherby doing a commercial where they shot (and shattered) a master lock hanging on nail in front of a target.

The one I remember was for Master; it showed the strike in slow motion, and then showed the padlock with a hole through the center, but still locked. I always wondered what the result would have been if the shot hadn't been dead center, but had hit one of the arms instead.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
5 gal propane tanks don't explode either.

(safe range)

Oxygen tanks, however, do.............. eek

Oxygen tanks do not explode either.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
I do know it is not a good idea to make firecrackers from quarter sticks of dynamite. Lite them, and throw them on the ground. On top of a septic tank. The expression "xxx" hits the fan is appropriate.
I also have a swinging steel target in the back yard, with holes through the plate. Put there with 280grainers out of a .45colt.
You would be surprised.
I penetrated seven gallon milk jugs a week ago with a .44mag 310grainer. It's surprising what some of those things will do.

I shot a 255 grain hard cast +P 45 ACP round through 9 one gallon milk jugs filled with water.
A friend has shot locks of with a 44 mag full power 240 grain loads. I don't advise doing this up close. Two end wrenches stuck into the hasp of the lock and pulled apart pops master locks apart unbelievably easy.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Some Darwin Award nominees here no doubt. I knew of some youths back in the days of more relaxed attitudes toward things that went boom in public areas who could have been too. I happen to remember what they called "center fuses" which were a large, water proof, fire cracker, allegedly about 1/8 a stick.

This, as I remembered involved about three youts, one driving the boat, two in back lighting the ordinance and tossing them overboard in varying areas in the prop wash, while the third, laughing heartily at this merry-making, dodged the booming water spouts as he skied the gauntlet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

y'all need to watch more TV. Everything explodes there when hit by a bullet. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot a master lock padlock off a gate with a .30-30 when somebody came by and stuffed a bunch of tooth picks into it. Only took one shot from about 30 feet away.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I musta lived a sheltered life, as I've had minimal exposure to such exercises.

I did shoot a golf ball once with a .22-250. It just simply vanished. It was on a large patch of bare ground, but no pieces found, anywhere.

There was also the time some chap left some 1/4" thick steel targets downrange. I tested them for him, and confirmed that even with varmint bullets a .22-250 will shoot through 1/4" of steel. Also interesting was a nearby paper target had many gray streaks on it. I finally realized the bullet core had melted, and splattered molten lead all around. It would have been damned unpleasant to be standing there.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My dad knew a guy who was fired from the sheriffs department for breaking into parking meters and stealing the coins.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by milespatton

y'all need to watch more TV. Everything explodes there when hit by a bullet. miles

In movies yes, just not in real life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott F
I don't see the need to ever shoot of cut one.

Spoil sport wink

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I musta lived a sheltered life, as I've had minimal exposure to such exercises.

I did shoot a golf ball once with a .22-250. It just simply vanished. It was on a large patch of bare ground, but no pieces found, anywhere.

There was also the time some chap left some 1/4" thick steel targets downrange. I tested them for him, and confirmed that even with varmint bullets a .22-250 will shoot through 1/4" of steel. Also interesting was a nearby paper target had many gray streaks on it. I finally realized the bullet core had melted, and splattered molten lead all around. It would have been damned unpleasant to be standing there.

A 22-250 with varmint bullets will penetrate through 3/8"" A-36 steel plate at 50 yards like Swiss cheese.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by jwp475

Well, chit. Pardon my confusing an earth rattling boom, flying fragments, and a 20 foot fireball for an explosion.

Last edited by HilhamHawk; 01/26/15.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sierria 130gr hp's made for 30-30 but shot out of a 308 will not penetrate 3/4" steel plate. They do make a 1/2" deep hole and a huge bump on the back. Glad I was 100 yards away.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Originally Posted by jwp475

Well, chit. Pardon my confusing an earth rattling boom, flying fragments, and a 20 foot fireball for an explosion.

If oxygen could acctualy do that then the atmosphere around you would have done the same. Oxygen is not explosive nor is it flammable oxygen supports combustion only if a fuel source is available. Simple science dude.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tmitch

The Master Lock I had to punch at 25 yards with my Marlin 1894 44 mag didn't act like that. It opened rather nicely.

(It was a back gate going into Natl. Forest, and there was a fire back there, the fire fighters needed in, and I would rather shoot the lock than have them bulldoze my fence.)

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've found with det cord, it's usually a waste of time. Takes too many wraps and too much time. Gets one of the squad dizzy running around in circles, too. Much easier to tape a charge together and tape it where it needs to be, then run the det cord to the main. The army saved a lot of time and math when they went to the new initiators. I'm enough of an antique to have had to test burn time fuse.it's been too long since I've blown something up.

Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Old70,

Using your formula it would appear that the intrepid experimenters I mentioned simply didn't use enough Primacord to do the job.

I, of course, wasn't there to witness the experiment, all my information is hearsay and if my fingerprints were on the batteries used to set off the caps that would be strictly circumstantial.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,384
Posts18,488,634
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.