Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I was coyote calling with a buddy (retired govt trapper) in '94. When returning to Vic's Bronco, we found a lion track 15 - 20 yards from our stand, in my boot-track!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
That buck kicked the hell out of that big cat. I wouldn't be surprised if the lion sustained severe injuries.
I am surprised that the big cat would attack such a big buck, there must have been some does, or fawns that would have been easier prey. There were several deer visible in the video.

A bad-ass mountain lion.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Here is a lion killed buck my brother found. Sometimes I think those cats just have to prove they're the baddest azz in the woods.....and sometimes ya get the chit kicked outta ya, proving it.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eyeball
You live in some great country, Ok.

Any particular call of his you recommend without buying the whole lot. What caller you use with his calls?

I have unsuccesfully used a deer bleat which has worked well on bobcat ajd coyotes.

Steve (Rainshadow) has some newer sounds that my son likes better than the full set of earlier recorded cougar sounds that I have so I'm not fully up to speed. I would get the juvenile communication whistle for sure and I like the contented purring and feeding sounds also.

Re e-caller: I have a Minaska Bandit in the small M1 size that is several years old, plus optional large speaker, remote decoy, etc. both of which I use sometimes depending on terrain. There are a lot of advances in callers since but I really like the features and function of mine.

As to sounds that work, IMO any rabbit/fawn distress in the ballpark of reality will work most of the time. Besides hand calls and electronics of deer/fawn distress I've had lions come to lip squeeks and my voice imitating a cougar that vocalized at me.

My bet is that you've had lions come in unseen if you have done considerable calling for any kind of predators in lion country. They like to sneak up, lay down and watch the human making interesting sounds and will lay there for a hour.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
good lord Don

that ain't what I call a lil deer!

freakin cats are awesome

all we have are lynx

but have tracked wolves after a moose, it looked like that moose got away successfully

have also found a cow moose run off the trail frozen stiff with just her ham eaten out

her calf was just so much fur and bone left in the trail

big cats are impressive

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A co-worker shot a moutain lion while it was in mid-air about to pounce on him (in the 90's). He was deer hunting in the Northern Black Hills of South Dakota. The cat died at his feet. He went to the game warden who verified his story and reported it to the people at state headquarters. They decided to prosecute him even though the game warden testified for him. He fought it in court for 12 months, racked up a huge lawyer bill and finally the state dropped the charge or he was found inocent (I don't recall). The cat is mounted at the state capital. No-one reported doing this same thing since then...
My nephew who was hiking in the Black Hills looked over and 100 yards away a cat was following him down the mountain looking him over carefully. My nephew didn't have a weapon on him. He carries a weapon now while hiking.
The guys working for me in Spearfish Canyon in the hills saw mountain lion often. One time one of the guys was operating a Bob-Cat skid loader and his hair stood stright up. He looked around and just behind the loader was a mounatin lion. I think the guy was happy to have a cage around him.
I normally carry a Model 19 or Super Black Hawk when I hike the hills.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Here is a lion killed buck my brother found. Sometimes I think those cats just have to prove they're the baddest azz in the woods.....and sometimes ya get the chit kicked outta ya, proving it.

[Linked Image]

I don't live in lion territory, at least they're not here in huntable numbers, and I know of no reliable sighting either. I'd bet that a lion would much rather avoid a full grown buck IF he could take down something weaker and with less armament. Sometimes though, you gots to take your chances to get a meal I guess.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My brother found that buck shortly after a 173 lb tom killed on of his goats. I stuck a cam on the kill. I reckon goats are easy pickin's.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

even coyotes get in on the meal....

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Was just talking to a guy here at work this afternoon about cats. He was telling me he and another guy we work with have been taking their young kids up in the hills to listen to the bulls bugle. One evening last September, a lion stalked one of them and his daughter - he first saw it about 10 yards from his kid crouched and ready to pounce. He wasn't armed and did quite a bit of yelling and rock throwing, but the cat stood it's ground. It all ended okay, but they carry rifles when they go out now...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm surprised at the number of these unarmed in the woods stories. Given that you aren't a tree hugger anti hunter/gunner why in the world do people venture out hiking or whatever without packing some sort of firearm?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by .280Rem
I'd bet that a lion would much rather avoid a full grown buck IF he could take down something weaker and with less armament. Sometimes though, you gots to take your chances to get a meal I guess.

Still believing the liberal line about the weak and sick, eh?

Predators take what they want, when they want, driven primarily by hunger. They don't make plans to take out the weak, sick, easy pickings because they don't plan at all.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
One Blacktail buck l got had just recently been attacked by a Cougar.
It had bit the top of the skull right between the horns.
Very long claw wound scabs were still on its neck and shoulder and were beginning to peel off.
Other than that the buck was in fine health and no sign of infection etc.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,406
Posts18,488,965
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.