Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
pira114 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just bored and thinking, and figured I'd get some pros and cons from those who may have done this sort of thing.

Vehicle is a '92 F250 Diesel. Dual tanks of course.

I'm tired of the dual tanks. Currently, only the front one works. About to take it to the shop to fix it and got to thinking I'd like a single, larger capacity, tank.

Anyone ever do this swap?? And are there any downsides? Besides being maybe more expensive than fixing my current problem. But I'm OK with that to a point.

I'm thinking more overall capacity. Less crap to break. No more worries about making sure I use both tanks or use a stabilizer in one.

Thoughts?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I doubt you will find anywhere to fit a tank that will hold more than the two you have

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
pira114 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have an 18 front and 19 rear. For 37 total.

Dude at the shop said he's got a 42 gallon that is a direct bolt up. Downside is I won't be able to keep the spare under there anymore. Which I think I'm fine with as it stays in the bed usually.

Still thinking.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Have you looked at Titan tanks? They make all kinds of aftermarket fuel tanks and might have what you're looking for.

"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency."
pira114 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dogballs
Have you looked at Titan tanks? They make all kinds of aftermarket fuel tanks and might have what you're looking for.

No I haven't. Thanks for the tip. I'll look that up.

So far, further research is leading me to a rear 40 gallon tank from an E350. I can either use it as a single tank, or keep the front tank as well. Another decision to ponder.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pira114
Originally Posted by Dogballs

No I haven't. Thanks for the tip. I'll look that up.

So far, further research is leading me to a rear 40 gallon tank from an E350. I can either use it as a single tank, or keep the front tank as well. Another decision to ponder.

I don't think those tanks have the proper top opening for a diesel. The hole where the downpipe and fuel sender is bigger on a diesel. At least thats what I was told a few years back when I wanted to do the same thing.

http://pin.it/_WJQ2xO

and FREE EYEBALL!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a '93 F-250 (gas) that has the same dual-tank setup. I.E. 19 gallons in the front and 18 gallons in the rear.

At one time Ford issued an engineering change (re-call) for the check valve between the tanks. I never took mine to the dealer for the retro-fit since I wasn't having any problems with either of the tanks. If it ain't broke.......

If your rear tank isn't working, it might be worth contacting Ford and investigating this fix before spending any money on a single-tank setup.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
pira114 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jocko_Slugshot
I have a '93 F-250 (gas) that has the same dual-tank setup. I.E. 19 gallons in the front and 18 gallons in the rear.

At one time Ford issued an engineering change (re-call) for the check valve between the tanks. I never took mine to the dealer for the retro-fit since I wasn't having any problems with either of the tanks. If it ain't broke.......

If your rear tank isn't working, it might be worth contacting Ford and investigating this fix before spending any money on a single-tank setup.

Thanks! I may just do that.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I would fix your broke tank/pump. there is nothing better then being able to switch tanks at any time if a problem occurs. assume you have 1 tank, the pump dies, you get a tow. assume you go offroad and puncture a tank, you get a tow. two tanks two pumps no problem. this is actually my favorite option on my 96 ford.
you have been driving it around with one tank for a while I assume. you couldn't do that if you only had 1 tank.
I cringe thinking about filling a 42 gallon tank and the pump dies. what the hell do you do then. 40+ gallons is heavy to drop and fix a pump.

Last edited by joejo; 01/30/15.
pira114 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by joejo
I would fix your broke tank/pump. there is nothing better then being able to switch tanks at any time if a problem occurs. assume you have 1 tank, the pump dies, you get a tow. assume you go offroad and puncture a tank, you get a tow. two tanks two pumps no problem. this is actually my favorite option on my 96 ford.
you have been driving it around with one tank for a while I assume. you couldn't do that if you only had 1 tank.
I cringe thinking about filling a 42 gallon tank and the pump dies. what the hell do you do then. 40+ gallons is heavy to drop and fix a pump.

I think I'm leaning this way. You're point about me using the truck with one broken tank now makes sense and hadn't hit me.

Looks like I can keep the dual tank set up, but swap the rear for a larger tank With 32 gallon capacity. So I get my cake and eat it too. Probably what I'll do.

Thanks all

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have a 50 gallon in mine.

This one: http://www.thefuelbox.com/products/fuelbox-ftc50/

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Bronco tanks are 33 gal. Once again, your spare would need to ride in the bed.

Those who believe there is safety in numbers never heard of Auschwitz- Me

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,215
Posts18,485,495
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.