Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I have the opportunity to buy either Zeiss Terra 8x42ED or Kahles 8x42 for a very favorable price. Which would be your pick and why? I plan to use them for Indiana deer hunting, I had a set of Kahles in the past and was satisfied with them. Would the Zeiss be a better choice?

Last edited by gunswizard; 01/27/15.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have you looked through each of them and how did you like them?

The eye doctor asks us: "What do you like A or B?"

I have had up scale bino's and used cheaper ones for a lifetime. I can see well with both! That's for me.

Select yours yourself!

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Perhaps I should rephrase my question, I have owned Kahles but now have the choice between Kahles (a known entity) and Zeiss (which I do not have access to look thru). I am asking Zeiss owners if they feel their binoculars a re equal or superior to Kahles and their reason(s) for feeling so.

Last edited by gunswizard; 01/27/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 8X version of these are a LOT of bino for the money. I can't imagine you'd need more here in Indiana.

http://www.theronoptics.com/WAPITI_HQ_BINOCULARS.html

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I have the opportunity to buy either Zeiss Terra 8x42ED or Kahles 8x42 for a very favorable price. Which would be your pick and why? I plan to use them for Indiana deer hunting, I had a set of Kahles in the past and was satisfied with them. Would the Zeiss be a better choice?

I have not looked through either. The Zeiss Terra is their entry level binocular. They are made in China while the Terra Rifle scopes are made in Japan. How old are the Kahles? Is it even money?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have used the Zeiss 8X56 Nacht Dialyts for a lifetime and they have been ok. Of course they are bigger and heavier than anything else.

We used binoculars on the boat for 30 years as we lived aboard. Much of that time was before GPS came out and I needed to see what an aid was. We used the 7x whatevers on board and they were ok.

The best binoculars I have now are my Leupold Switch Power 7-12X's. They are outstanding for both scanning and seeing "what is it"?

They are no longer made?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DumbassDon,

Did you even read what the guy was asking?

gunswizard, it would depend upon which version Kahles and age.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by gunswizard

Kahles Binoculars are very good but I would order the Zeiss Terra from a dealer that would allow you to return them if there are no local dealers. I have looked thru Kahles but never thru a pair of Terra's .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have owned the Kahles 8x42, early version 2009 or
earlier. And I now own the Zeiss Terra 8x42. I found
the Kahles very well built but the FOV a bit narrow,
made in Austria. The build quality is excellent, as
you would expect. I know the recent ones have some
changes for the better, although I have not used one.

The Terra is ahead optically, with a nice bright view
and nice handling, a good value in the $300. price range.

Both companies will wty. the optic, the Kahles feels better
in hand, the Terra does not have the quality fit and finish.

So, it is your pick.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Not to change the subject, but I'm curious: Is your Kahles marked "Made in Austria" or "From Austria"?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Not to change the subject, but I'm curious: Is your Kahles marked "Made in Austria" or "From Austria"?

John:

I'm not sure this was meant for me or not. The older model
was made when Kahles was closely associated with Swarovski,
and mine said made in Austria.
I've heard they are now making the binoculars in Japan.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I owned a set of Terra 10x and really liked the image quality and brightness. They are 1/2 a step above an older Leica Trinovid as an example and were way better than my older Pentax DCF models for image quality at a much lighter weight. I compared them to several others at a Cabelas and was shocked that it took the Meopta HD's and better to really see the difference. Mine are now my Son in law's only because I got a great deal an new Swaro SLC's.

I don't have any experience with the Kahles but they do have a great reputation and don't think they would be hard to sell if you changed your mind.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I am waiting for my new Zen-Ray HD binoculars to show up. I ordered the 10x

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/binoculars/5zrshd10x42.html

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Zeiss

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a pair of 8x42 terras and took them hunting a couple times. I was not impressed they fogged up and sucked at first and last light. I think there is better glass in that price range. Ps sold them after a couple weeks. Ziess name but not ziess quality just like there over priced previous line of conquest binoculars.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Seeing as how the Zeiss Terra are made in China, I would not expect them to be up to expectations as to Zeiss quality. I bought the Kahles 8x, I had them before and was satisfied with them, only sold them to finance another project.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Just purchased 10X42 ED Terra for birding in Florida. My wife and I spent several hours comparing various brands and the Zeiss optics were better than anything else in that price range. I have not been impressed with recent Kahles offerings.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 22kHornet, 204guy, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,395 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,602
Posts18,492,305
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.