-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 26 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 25 26
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup, add me to that list. Can't buy the parts to build a rifle like the LAW for a grand.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A Kimber Montana for 1k

Walnut available for that group

When one is trying to sell a mousetrap one should try to market a better mousetrap

I will for now wish them luck in the uphill climb but as of now they have nothing that stands out from the crowd

Done

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JasonH
Therefore, I can give my opinions on here all day long, but I don't actually expect anyone from a firearms company to take it seriously. If I owned my own firearms company that's the first group of people I would listen to........firearms ENTHUSISTS on a friggin forum......yeah right.

If you want your opinion to matter, go out and make a name for yourself in the industry......otherwise don't get butt hurt when the folks with money that run the companies don't give two [bleep] about your "opinion".

Well I imagine you wouldn't stay in business long if you don't listen to the people that you want to buy your product. I'm grateful that Reed has came on here to announce the product that his company LAW is soon to release. Reed's company has a chance to listen to the consumer and make some changes before the rifle hits full production.

Please tell me where I can buy a proprietary bolt action in a high tech specialties stock with a timney trigger and ceracoated metal for $1000? I want one!

I can buy a new Forbes rifle for at least $200 less, more if I hunt around a little. LAW is going to be competing with Kimber and Forbes with their rifles. Why not take this opportunity to offer something that neither of these companies are offering? Their Closer rifle while not heavy starts out a roughly full pound heavier than the Kimber Montana or Forbes rifle, so they need to offer something that the others don't to grab a market share.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
No thanks, not my cup o tea. Don't like the stock on the kimber and it's not cerakoted. But like I said earlier, to each their own.

As far as the Forbes, I've not been impressed with the reviews I've read on this and other forums. I would go NULA before I would go Forbes. And perhaps LAW will market a ultra lightweight mountain rifle down the road. I don't think they are trying to compete with Forbes and kimber as much as say Winchester and montana rifle company and Nosler.

As far as not standing out from the crowd, what do you make of the Ed brown 704 action and the high tech specialities stock? A buddy of mine had a high tech specialities stock on a rifle awhile back, and it was much nicer than the bell and carlsons that most manufacturers use IMHO.

Last edited by JasonH; 02/01/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess you meant Yonkers NY. I like the Montana a lot and it does offer one hell of lot for the money. Most of them appear to be pretty accurate for a fly weight rig but they don't have an accuracy promise so if you do get one that doesn't shoot you're on your own. For the money, if you're in the market for a fly weight rig, you can't beat the Montana.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No thanks, not my cup o tea. Don't like the stock on the kimber and it's not cerakoted. But like I said earlier, to each their own.

Stainless......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDFinn
I guess you meant Yonkers NY. I like the Montana a lot and it does offer one hell of lot for the money. Most of them appear to be pretty accurate for a fly weight rig but they don't have an accuracy promise so if you do get one that doesn't shoot you're on your own. For the money, if you're in the market for a fly weight rig, you can't beat the Montana.

Yes....Yonkers....auto correct in manual mode now

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would agree with that but the LAW is offering something completely different by going with the Ed Brown, whereas, all the others that will compete with the LAW are doing so with some sort of Remington clone, with the exception of the Kimber that is a scaled down Mauser if I'm not mistaken. I owned a first generation Kimber Classic before they went to a three pos safety and it was a beautiful little rifle, but it isn't what I would call a tack driver and mine was a 7-08, normally a pretty accurate round.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T

As far as the Forbes, I've not been impressed with the reviews I've read on this and other forums. I would go NULA before I would go Forbes. And perhaps LAW will market a ultra lightweight mountain rifle down the road. I don't think they are trying to compete with Forbes and kimber as much as say Winchester and montana rifle company and Nosler.

Don't like the Forbes? At least they are out there to try. Yet you're fully enamored with a rifle that nobody but a select few have handled and shot. Plus how does a rifle at a $1500 price point not compete with a Forbes or Kimber?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Forbes and kimber are marketing to the crowd that wants a super lightweight rifle. That's not what I'm in the market for at the moment, and that's not what the LAW rifles are. They are standard sporter weight rifles, which is what I'm looking for.

In my mind, the LAW is competing directly with the montana rifle company x2 and the Nosler patriot.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
How many of you write articles for major shooting or hunting publications? How many of you have your own TV show about firearms or hunting?

Yeah, because any of those guys pay for any of this schit… Oh thats right. The people on this forum are the real purchasers of these products. Those people you just listed are the same ones that pimp mossberg 4x4 rifles and piece of schit tc encores.

Why don't you go look at the number of members of this forum and tell me if its not enough to keep a semi custom rifle company in business. Most people who would be interested in one of these rifles are either members here, or would at least do some research first before purchasing and come across some of the threads here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The LAW rifle also has an all stainless action and I don't think any of the others have an all stainless action. The Kimber might be and awhile back I emailed them asking that question and never received a response. The Forbes action has a SS body, but uses a CM bolt. No CeraKote either. Price wise, I do agree with others that the LAW will compete with them, but I don't believe LAW's goal was to offer yet another flyweight rifle. So you get a custom action that is certainly unique, a High Tech stock, an all stainless action, Timney trigger, accuracy guarantee and a Cerakoted barreled action for $1500

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
RDFinn, I think we might as well give up. LOL. There is little chance of opening any of the narrow minds on this subject. Let's just see what happens when the rifles hit the market and people get their hands on them.

Okbow87, while there are quite a few rifle loonies on this forum, I seriously doubt that many of them would be willing to put their money where their mouth is, even if a manufacturer took a vote on this forum and built a rifle to those exact specs.

It is also a bit shallow to condem gun writers or TV hosts for giving favorable reviews to the folks that place ads in their magazines or sponsor their shows. Gotta keep the lights on and pay the bills.......not gonna happen if you trash your sponsors. There are a few gun writers that I respect, and I tend to give some weight to their opinions. Craig Boddington is one of those writers. I have met him and found him to be a real down to earth guy who is extremely passionate about his job. He has a vast amount of experience hunting more types of game than I will ever see, and he has pulled quite a few triggers in his day. He seems to like the new LAW rifles, and I think that bodes well for them. if you think you can do a better job, why don't you submit your resume? Perhaps we will all be reading your reviews in Guns and Ammo one day.

Last edited by JasonH; 02/01/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Think I'm going to start up my own rifle company this year. The action will be made from recycled beer cans, the stock will feature alternating laminated popsicle sticks with a bedding block that runs the entire length of the stock, military surplus rifle barrels and a high tech proprietary Kyrlon metal treatment that John Burns and I developed. It will only be offered in 30-30 and perhaps in the future a 30/06 will be added with a 1-14 twist.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My thoughts:

First, I think its great that we are seeing an interesting approach in a new rifle - a hybrid of the custom rifle many make/buy - think good action plus an aftermarket stock. Eg Model 70 for 700/800 plus a mcmillan for 500/600.

Like many I spend a lot of time on forums looking for rifles. I'm partial to CRF so I generally look for a model 70 with a nice aftermarket stock and, ideally, a good barrel but would be fine with a nice stock and factory barreled action. LAW seems to be providing this plus a better trigger and, likely, a better barrel than most factory rifles. Seems like a great start to me. Bottom metal does look a bit clunky, but most companies change their products over time to make them better.

While I agree with the feedback on twist rates, I'm impressed with the change to the .243 and, like others, think we should give these guys a chance to get going and iterate their product. They are trying to provide a high quality rifle for a good value - IMHO we should all be cheering them on - why would any of us not want another rifle option - especially one trying to hit the spot between factory and synthetic customs - no downside to any of us, all upside if they are successful in building a great rifle.

Lastly, like others have said - big kudos to Paul Reed for providing the information he has and thanks to him for actually caring what all of us think - although given some of the responses, I'm surprised he's staying in the discussion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10generation

Lastly, like others have said - big kudos to Paul Reed for providing the information he has and thanks to him for actually caring what all of us think - although given some of the responses, I'm surprised he's staying in the discussion.

My feelings as well. How many companies come onto a forum not only to announce a new product, but take the time (and grief) to listen to potential buyers, answer questions and take feedback honestly with a willingness to make changes if necessary ? I think maybe Forbes did but not sure. Kimber ? Nope.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
RDFinn, I think we might as well give up. LOL. There is little chance of opening any of the narrow minds on this subject. Let's just see what happens when the rifles hit the market and people get their hands on them.

Okbow87, while there are quite a few rifle loonies on this forum, I seriously doubt that many of them would be willing to put their money where their mouth is, even if a manufacturer took a vote on this forum and built a rifle to those exact specs.

It is also a bit shallow to condem gun writers or TV hosts for giving favorable reviews to the folks that place ads in their magazines or sponsor their shows. Gotta keep the lights on and pay the bills.......not gonna happen if you trash your sponsors. There are a few gun writers that I respect, and I tend to give some weight to their opinions. Craig Boddington is one of those writers. I have met him and found him to be a real down to earth guy who is extremely passionate about his job. He has a vast amount of experience hunting more types of game than I will ever see, and he has pulled quite a few triggers in his day. He seems to like the new LAW rifles, and I think that bodes well for them. if you think you can do a better job, why don't you submit your resume? Perhaps we will all be reading your reviews in Guns and Ammo one day.

Okay I'm not a gun writer but I am a gunsmith and I have met your hero Boddington. He's a nice guy who's shot a bunch of stuff.

I think what people are trying to say to you is that seeing as how this company will have lots of competition, not just from MRC and Nosler like you suggest but also Kimber and Forbes. While the LAW rifle may be a pound heavier it will still be considered by the same folks who are shopping any of the above listed brands. The main point that folks here are trying to make, is that Reed came here to tell us, part of his prospective market, about this new offering. Folks around here are telling him, before these rifles are standardized and assembled which if he plays it right could get him more sales, what they want. They want twist, fast twist. It won't hurt a damn thing to have more twist than needed for old style bullets and those that want to would be able to sling 115s.

If twist wasn't listed on their website guys like you would never know the difference. But real rifle looneys, who shoot and experiment with something other than factory CoreLokts, would soon find out that they were twisted for ping pong balls. When they found out it would end up on the Fire, and on down the road to Google search results so that anyone who is thinking of buying one and gives achit will see it and look to buy something else. If I was bringing a new design to the market and advertising it online, I'd damn sure be willing to measure COL and tell folks how it was going to be throated.

This is free R&D for this company, with people who shoot more than a half box a year to check zero on a road sign, giving him feedback on features that will help make his product appeal to a larger market without alienating the other marketshare that doesn't care. Not one single suggestion listed herein will cost them any extra money to implement aside from possibly the bottom metal suggestion.

PS. Boddington is not an engineer nor a gunsmith as far as I know. He may have killed a bunch of critters but he also claimed that cartridges such as the 270 and 06 were marginal for larger than whitetail deer. The man sells his opinion and while I'm not flat out saying his opinion can be bought off, one has to remember that it is for sale.

PPS. Guns and Ammo sucks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheKid
I think what people are trying to say to you is that seeing as how this company will have lots of competition, not just from MRC and Nosler like you suggest but also Kimber and Forbes. While the LAW rifle may be a pound heavier it will still be considered by the same folks who are shopping any of the above listed brands. The main point that folks here are trying to make, is that Reed came here to tell us, part of his prospective market, about this new offering. Folks around here are telling him, before these rifles are standardized and assembled which if he plays it right could get him more sales, what they want. They want twist, fast twist. It won't hurt a damn thing to have more twist than needed for old style bullets and those that want to would be able to sling 115s.

If twist wasn't listed on their website guys like you would never know the difference. But real rifle looneys, who shoot and experiment with something other than factory CoreLokts, would soon find out that they were twisted for ping pong balls. When they found out it would end up on the Fire, and on down the road to Google search results so that anyone who is thinking of buying one and gives achit will see it and look to buy something else. If I was bringing a new design to the market and advertising it online, I'd damn sure be willing to measure COL and tell folks how it was going to be throated.

This is free R&D for this company, with people who shoot more than a half box a year to check zero on a road sign, giving him feedback on features that will help make his product appeal to a larger market without alienating the other marketshare that doesn't care. Not one single suggestion listed herein will cost them any extra money to implement aside from possibly the bottom metal suggestion.

+1

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is free R&D for this company,

Sure helped his vocabulary as well.

I want an action based around a 223AI, i.e "short" with a mag well that will fit long/heavy for caliber bullets. a 20" fast twist barrel heavy sporter contour, and a detachable mag (two types - a flush mag that holds 2 or 3, and a bigger one for really getting down)

Left handed.

And a cup of coffee.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reed, will these LAWR's be out on the sales room at Trops? And when? I'd like to handle one.

Page 7 of 26 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,310 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,514
Posts18,472,404
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.