Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
This is a review in two parts. Part one is that I purchased my Leica Geovids from Neil at CameraLandNY and I had a very positive buying experience. I recommend them as a vendor for good optics. I would also like to clarify that I did NOT buy my Leica 1000r from them that I mention below so please do not judge them by the comments I made about that experience in the review below.

Part two of the review is really about my requirements, the competing options, the selection I made and the shortcomings I found that identify both white space (unmet needs) in the industry as well as specific lack of capabilities of the product that met the most requirements in my personal product shootout. (the Leica Geovids) I hope my information will be informative to the reader and may apply a respectful amount of pressure on Leica to remedy some of their shortcomings without being viewed as anything but purely constructive criticism.

The Leica Geovid HD-B 10x42 is the most advanced range finding binocular available in the ~$3000 MSRP price point as of Q1 2015. Competitive products in this same price range that I considered were the Swarovski EL 10x42 Range and the Zeiss Victory RF 10x45 Rangefinding Binocular.

The requirements I had (of which no product could fully achieve) were as follows:

1.) I wished to have rangefinding ballistic drop calculations for a high performance crossbow that would assist in calculating real hold-overs for ethical shots from 50 yards to 80 yards.

2.) I wished to have a ballistic calculation for use with a ultra premium rifled slug gun that is about 2 MOA when using sabot slugs out to 200 yards. The slug gun is a big desire because it pushes the slugs real-world at 1735fps MV with a 260r projectile and a BC of .146. Plenty of accuracy for those shots from 130-200 yards provided you know precisely your drops to exceptional detail.

3.) I wanted range finding capability with ballistic calculations for a 6.5x55 and 7x57 for precise firing solutions for shots out to 500 yards, the maximum reasonable distance for CXP2 and CXP3 game where quality bullets will still expand properly. (e.g. Nosler Partition, Accubond, Woodleighs, Oryx)

4.) I wanted excellent glass so I could avoid a separate binocular purchase

5.) I wanted to eliminate carrying my Leica 1000r pocket rangefinder that I purchased <90 days ago

6.) I wanted an excellent warranty and support model

7.) I wanted general EHR capabilities for targets as close as 10 yards and as far as 500 yards

After trying out all three in store I concluded that the Swaro and Leica had comparable glass, the Zeiss i felt was slightly lesser quality in glass but the additional 3mm exit objective did create a larger FOV that was impressive.

Then I stacked them all against my requirements. I did not buy the Swaro because it failed to meet any archery requirements as it could not provide range finding under 33 yards. I called Swaro and they stated this was a patent issue and thus they made the software in that manner.

The zeiss didn't wow me optically or with their grip so that left the Leica meeting most requirements.

What I learned after purchase was the following disappointments about the Leica.

1.) The custom software would not let me put in ballistic data for an arrow or crossbow bolt nor would it permit a drop table based on a 50 yard zero.

2.) The custom software would not permit me to create a 100 yard zero for a 260gr bullet moving at 1735 fps with a BC of .146, so the slug firing solutions are not possible. I subsequently learned that it also will not handle loads like .22 hornet, .357 mag, .44 mag and other loads that have low BCs with 100 yard zeros and moderate muzzle velocities. Adding to this frustration is that you do not get to know if your data is good or bad when using the application to input your data. Only when you take your data.hex file and transfer it to a memory card and place it in your binoculars do you get an ERR3 code that the data is not acceptable to the binoculars. This is problematic as it leaves you scratching your head as to what went wrong. I've called Leica who is indeed responsive to consumers (a good thing) and asked what the minimum thresholds are for what is acceptable load data. They do not know but are going to ask the developer, Gunwerks for clarity. This is an incredibly disappointing situation that I hope Leica will remedy (and I'll write an update if they do) because not every fire solution you use on a rangefinder is for great distances but they are always used to insure an ethical shot. (like a sabot slug from a 2 MOA gun at 100-200 yards for example)

So in conclusion, the Leica Geovid HD-B 10x42 met several requirements but failed to meet all. It will:

1.) meet quality glass requirements
2.) will hopefully meet durability requirements (* more addendum on this below)
3.) It will NOT be able to calculate custom drops for crossbow bolts
4.) It will NOT be able to calculate custom drops for for rimfire, slug, or some straight wall rifle and pistol calibers.
5.) It will be able to calculate drops and firing solutions for high velocity rifles from 100 yards to 1000 yards.
6.) It does have excellent glass
7.) Leica has been responsive to inquiries

That concludes my initial review.

-Rookhawk

*Addendum on quality. I found out the Leica products are made in Portugal, not Germany which is really disheartening for a $3000 product. The 1000r rangefinder I had was used in -4 weather for deer hunting on two occasions. The 1000r rangefinder rubber peeled off in sheets with no abuse on my part. I owned it <90 days and did ask for a refund/exchange towards the Geovids but was told no by the dealer because they cannot sell them as new. I'm waiting for Leica to service the 1000r by replacing the housing or replacing the unit. I'm deeply concerned that the Geovids might use the same rubberizing as the 1000r and I'll be absolutely disheartened if that rubber fails at -4 also because it certainly is well within the optical operating conditions published by Leica. I did not purchase the Leica 1000r from CameraLandNY, it was another dealer. (a reasonable one at that) Because the other dealer could not find a way to provide an accommodation, I decided to give the Geovid business to CameralandNY instead. More info than you need but I wanted to be very clear about where I received good service and did not want the reader to infer anything poor about the authorized dealer I used on the Geovid purchase.

Last edited by Rookahawk; 01/26/15.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
hawk, welcome I see this is your very first post. Thanks for telling us about your experience with this RF unit. There isn't a ton of info out there a guy on here that goes by GSSP I think has posted more info about the geovids than anywhere else I can find on the internet.

a couple suggestions. IMO you don't need the geovid firing solutions for any of the shooting your doing. the simple RF function inside your unit should do just fine for your purposes as you described. This means your going to have to see what your numbers should be on a program like JBM, tape a range card to your stock, then just range the target and see what you need off your rangecard. or a BDC turret would work also. BDC turrets work great if your only shooting to around 500 ish.

the geovid firing solution comes into its own when you have calibrated your load by shooting it at distances between 600, 800 and 1000 yards. then compare this to what your data says you should be, then change things in your ballistic solution probably FPS is the most common to overlay your actual results. (applied ballistics has a calibration that does this with the push of a button) then put this into the geovid, then when shooting from 600 to 1000 yards your going to be much closer with the geovid firing solution. its kinda complicated how it all works, I recommend watching applied ballistics videos and knowing how changes in enviromentals effect bullet flight, IMO your not shooting far enough for all this stuff to come into play.

the reason the swaro will not range below 33 yards is because it has a split hinge design. whereas the geovid ranges right from the center. I ran the previous model geovids for years, I now use swaro el range, which are supposed to be discontinued. I chose them because for some reason the HD-b's don't give me a good view, I see more green tint in them than even the previous model. they just don't seem right for me, I tried and tried, I must have looked at them 10 different times in the store. don't worry that is just me, your never going to go back to seperate RF bino units now.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Rookahawk,

Interesting read.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
When I bought mine I knew that they were made in Portugal, I would have preferred Germany too. They work fine for me, I use Target Turrets and they tell me how many clicks and I am on the money. I was using and Leica BCA binoculars and Leica 1600 rangefinder separately before I bought mine, its a lot easier with just one unit verses two, but a LOT heavier and bulkier.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
thanks for the well balanced report. Did you end up keeping the Geovid?

IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Hi Hawker,

I did elect to keep the Geovid binoculars because they are VERY good binoculars. I will just continue to respectfully update on the forums with my frustration that Leica has not followed up as they promised to do thus far in order to assist with the shortcomings of the ballistic calculations. (which they do not make, Gunwerks made for them)

If I could be told by Leica or Gunwerks how to hack the file or how minimal I can select for a BC or a FPS I could probably work something up "close enough" for the requirement of a 200 yard sabot slug gun firing solution. (130-200 yards is very doable but you really need a firing solution to ethically take the shot in my opinion)

One additional Geovid HD-B 10x42 addendum: What do you do for a case or harness for these binos I asked myself? I researched the entire field of options and found a great solution, the FHF Gear binocular harness is absolutely the best harness money can buy. Or you can use the lousy Leica one with the obnoxious red leica bullseye on your back instead that comes with two key rings and some electrical zip-ties to fasten to the binoculars...NO THANKS, I can't believe Leica has the audacity to sell something like that to hold a $3000 optic. So again, go with the FHF Gear harness if you buy your Leica Geovids.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use the Kuiu Bino harness, size large, for mine. I like it very much.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I bought the Badlands bino case and love it! The "rare earth" magnets lining the case opening really pull the case shut tight.

http://www.badlandspacks.com/binocase-hunting-pack.html

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I also have the "Leica" harness. That is a licensed product, you can buy those with several different optics company names. I agree its not the best set up, they need to license one like the Hornady.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, 15 invisible), 1,787 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,897
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.