Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bristoe
The high plains of Wyoming is something to experience. It's not like there's one place you need to pull off the road and look at. Rather, it's the vast desolation that still exists on the planet.

There's places on the high plains where you are a*lone*,....and if you're on certain routes, the solitude goes of for a long, long time.

The first time I experienced it, I didn't realize that anything like it still existed in the world.

There's a lot to be said for being alone,...but it's best that you have a dependable vehicle and a full tank of gas.

There's places that still exist in this country where you don't want to get stranded. The high plains of Wyoming is one of 'em.

But it was nice. It gave me a "The planet belongs to me" perspective while I was up there.

Sixty miles from Cody to Greybull without a village in between.

Drive that road in wintertime and you might not see more than three or four autos the whole trip.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Originally Posted by jnyork
Originally Posted by Paladin

Dang. And I went right by there the other day.

Also forgot Sinks Canyon in Lander. And South Pass and Atlantic City.

My summer place is just outside Atlantic City. Drop in anytime. smile

I drove thru there in September. Doesn't look like a place where I would pick to spend the winter.

That's why I'm in Yuma AZ. laugh

You have to be a real introvert to live in Atlantic City during the six months of winter. Highway into it is frequently closed due to snow and blowing snow. Temps are actually quite a bit warmer than nearby Lander as Lander gets temperature inversions, but the wind howls nonstop and so you have the wind chill factor. Only about 35-40 people live there all year, if that.

Last edited by jnyork; 01/27/15.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been over South Pass quite a few times in the winter and most trips were those "white knuckle" ones. Other times not bad, but that's the exception.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
I have been over South Pass quite a few times in the winter and most trips were those "white knuckle" ones. Other times not bad, but that's the exception.

grin I have only been through in the summer, but I can well understand what you mean.

BTW, SD has a nice tourist booklet that you can get from the state. WY has one too, but mine has not yet arrived.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RalphBeagle
If you go to Mt Rushmore spend a little more time and go see this too:

http://crazyhorsememorial.org/

If you go here, take the time to watch the video documentary of the man that started the sculpture. The amount of manual labor that guy did is astounding!

It's too bad that won't be finished in our life times.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Razz
2Hours in Jackson...my boys live there, some days it takes that long just to drive thru town in the summer.

Head out Antelope Flats road just north of Jackson for the spot to take the photo on the sig line of WyoColoCowboys posts.

Tetons are fantastic
Yellowstone is a place one should see, but unless I head for the backcountry, 1 day drive thru is enough for me. Lots of critters along the road, lots of people too.
We spent a few days in Cody. 1 day at Buffalo Bill museum with my wife and mom to see "the other stuff" and the next day I went alone to drool over the guns while they took the trolly car tour of town.
We timed it right by sheer luck and were in Cody the weekend of the Winchester Arms Collectors annual gun show. All I can say is WOW!

Little Big Horn is a must, wish we had more time there. We camped at the KOA in Hardin. Was ok, but we didn't spend much time at the campground. Look for Shrapnel's posts about it, I'm itching to go back after reading them.

Devils Tower is awesome and worth the slight detour.

Spent more time at Crazy Horse than at Rushmore, plan on it. Custer State Park was a great place to stay, book now or you may get shut out.

Museum of the Mountain Man in Pinedale Wy is cool, so is the ride from Pinedale up to Jackson.

Depending on your route, if you are driving thru Dubois Wy, stop at the Cowboy Cafe for Huckleberry Pie. Some of the best I've ever had.

Good post! Am thinking about a trip to Wyoming from my state of Woorsheengton.

You might consider spending 48-72 hours in and around Jackson Hole, WY / Tetons if you really expect to enjoy them or see much!

24 hours won't even give you time to relax and get one good night's sleep!

South of Sheridan, WY are the sites for the Wagon Box Fight, and Fetterman Massacre (if you like WESTERN history).

There's also the Bighorn Sheep Center near Dubois, WY.

And the annual rodeo in Cheyenne too.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by mark shubert
The Wagon Box Fight, site of the Bannerman Massacre, and Fort ? (the name escapes me right now)
If you're into western/cowboy stuff - King Ropes in Sheridan has quite a bit of historical tack, etc.

I believe you are thinking of Fort Phil Kearney and the Fetterman Massacre, just south of Sheridan Wyoming.

You are correct - that was a quick visit during a cattle-buying trip (needed to beat the trucks back - but had a bit of time) several years ago. Spent 3 or 4 hours in King's Ropes on another buying trip, and intend to get back into that country with "The Warden" another time, spending a few days.
Gorgeous area with a lot of history!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Chief Joseph Secnic Highway and Beartooth Pass are two of the greatest drives in the lower 48. If you're in the vicinity, make time for both.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey, no one has mentioned the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD--definitely a "must see"!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by mudhen
Hey, no one has mentioned the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD--definitely a "must see"!

grin

*cough* uh...YEA...well worth the drive! *cough* *cough*

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
south bighorn cty. airport firetanker museum... greybull
and of course the bighorns in the early summer...later spring. lots of pretty flowers

mercy triumphs over judgement
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No trip to the West would be complete without a tour of Hardin Montana. Just don't get out of your vehicle. grin

Wife and I were on the road and got hungry, not knowing any better we swung in there to get a burger. Swung right back out again, weren't there more than about 90 seconds. shocked

Last edited by jnyork; 02/04/15.

[Linked Image]
R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions, it's helping us nail down our route and schedule.

My kids have mentioned this trip every day since I first discussed it with them in early January. It's funny, we're taking a couple of short trips (spring break and long weekends), but this one is the one we're all excited about.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not Mt Rushmore and damn sure not Crazy Horse, the former is worth seeing once as a child and perhaps once again as an adult while the latter is a total waste of time.

Custer State park is worth driving through, Jacks First Gun Shop in Rapid City is a worthwhile stop, as are the presidential statues downtown. Hill City and Deadwood should be on your list, and the Sturgis bike rally should be as well.

That one scenic lake that's in the National Treasure movie, I can't recall the name.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do not go to the Corn Palace and no matter what you do DO NOT STOP at Wall Drug.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why?oming is a 'drive-through' only state unless you want to go to Laramie and be a bigot.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
[quote=mark shubert]The Wagon Box Fight, site of the Bannerman Massacre, and Fort ? (the name escapes me right now)
If you're into western/cowboy stuff - King Ropes in Sheridan has quite a bit of historical tack, etc.

I believe you are thinking of Fort Phil Kearney and the Fetterman Massacre, just south of Sheridan Wyoming.

The Wagon Box Fight and later the Fetterman Massacre occurred within 20 miles of one another! (according to my my Rand McNally road atlas grin ).

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
Not Mt Rushmore and damn sure not Crazy Horse

That one scenic lake that's in the National Treasure movie, I can't recall the name.

Yeah, skip Rushmore, just look at it from the roads. Crazy Horse is a joke at this point in time.

I think the lake was Sylvan Lake. If not, Sylvan is a nice place.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
South of Buffalo:

[Linked Image]

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You'll also want to stop in Buffalo at the famous Occidental Hotel and Saloon. Lots of history there.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (16gage, 1badf350, 1moredeer, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 3,037 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,961
Posts18,519,472
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.