Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Ill be the one that says Tikka first. The majority of my hunting is done via Archery, but I decided about 8-9 years ago that I needed to buy a rifle for those hunts with Dad (usually borrowed one of his). I shopped around for opinions, reviews, etc., for many months and ended up with a 30-06 in a stainless Tikka @ Sportsmans warehouse (was a new store then). Put a Conquest 3-9x40 on it, as well as a limbsaver pad and later painted the stock. Perhaps the story could wax a little more poetic, but I have a lot of confidence in that rifle, and have a handful of nifty hunts with my Dad (hopefully more to come). No regrets so far, and not likely to get another rifle until I inherit his pre-64 30-06 (took my first buck with it).

HR IC

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'd have to go with one rifle it would have to be a left handed 35 Whelen. If Africa was on the agenda,I bump up to either a lefty 400 Whelen or 404 Jeffery.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Beretz, has and uses one of the superb rifles which have been my lifetime choice as a "one and only" and I almost chose my first of these as my pick on this thread.

A matched pair of these, some spare parts, spare scopes and a guy would be totally set for all BC hunting and wilderness work.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You're cheating... it's a ONE rifle thread.

grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
You're cheating... it's a ONE rifle thread.

grin

I hate one rifle threads....you have to think and all that stuff.Too painful. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MagMarc
My Model 70 Featherweight 270, VX3 2.5-8 and 140 GKs for deer and 150 Partitions for anything bigger will get me by fine.

I'd be happy with that. Mine wears a 3.5-10 VX3 and shoots 150 BTs 1/2 MOA.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my steyr in good old 3006. so great i bought another in case i lost the first ! a 3.5 to 10 on first and a z on the other because it came that way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

30-06 - Leu 4X - 180 NPT …….stainless and Zytel even more better in a one only deal I reckon

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pat;
Top of the morning to you my friend, I hope this balmy first Friday in February finds you folks well.

I've been meaning to send you a PM with the details on this ongoing saga, but since Sam started a thread which will address it I thought I'd prop it up for all to see.

So as you know I became less and less enamored with the .270 barrel I had on my walking around rifle and after some consultation with greydog I decided to convert it to a 6.5 Swede.

I found a very clean, nearly new but likely 100 year old military barrel - from a 96 of course - and wanted to use it because of the deeper grooves they have as opposed to most commercial barrels. As well the military barrels have about a 1:7½ twist and yes I've not only drank the Koolaide on twist when it comes to all copper bullets, I apparently am making the drink crystals as well now..... wink

As a last bit of interest, when I tore this one down to send it up to Cherryville my memory was jogged when I noticed the Mauser roll mark on the front receiver ring. Somehow I thought this was a different action - but it wasn't - so anyway Pat this is a wee bit odd in that there's no Nazi proofs, etc and it has an actual serial number as opposed to a military run number.

The specs then are as follows.
- 98 Mauser action - military type

- Timney Buehler type safety

- Timney Sportsman trigger - set at 2½ lb with an Ace trigger shoe hot glued onto it after. Hot glue allows me to remove it with a lighter afield.

- Wolff Blitzschnell 22lb striker spring

- FN commercial extractor - polished and tuned

- new magazine spring installed, follower polished and tuned as required.

- Wildcat Composites 20oz stock - I've dealt with Stuart on two builds now and would again in a heartbeat. They are very stiff and well made stocks. It's full contact bedded right now - as in full but neutral pressure for the entire action and barrel length. As well the bottom metal is bedded so it can be taken apart in the field, reassembled and the point of impact is really, really close.

- Lightweight recoil pad from Corlane's

- Boonie Packer sling

- 3.6oz Aluminum bottom metal from Brownells - imported via relatives in Texas because they can't ship it up here.

- Plain vanilla Weaver bases epoxied onto the action.

- Very ugly Bushnell vertical split rings that are very lightweight and tough despite being hard to look upon.

- Leupold 6X Compact scope

- First barrel was a Parker Hale Featherweight contour in .270 which was OK but I didn't love. The current - as yet unshot barrel is a Swede built military barrel that was reworked to fit a 98 action. Chris Wilcox has done the work both times. I had something very specific in mind with wanting a deep groove, 1:7½ twist barrel installed, but it's not the frugal way to go by any stretch and I've not shot it as of today so we'll see if my theories are valid or not.

- It was 7lb on the nose loaded with 5 rounds as a .270. As a 6.5x55 it now weighs 7lb 2 oz and is a tad more front heavy so it hangs better for me offhand. Again, we'll have to see but initially it feels better to me for balance.
[Linked Image]

Anyway Pat, that's where that particular windmill is standing as I prepare some new Lapua cases for it and saddle up to tilt at it some more.

I'll be colored mightily unimpressed if it doesn't shoot of course, but here's hoping it does and then it'll fit Sam's criteria fairly well I'd think.

Thanks to those who've shared their rifles in the thread and all the best to you all this weekend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 16bore
Not a Tikka or RAR in the bunch. Interesting....

Not my absolute first pick, but I wouldn't cry about it if I had to use either of my Tikkas.

270 shooting 140 Accubonds

[Linked Image]

Or 260 shooting 125 Partitions

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 1Deernut; 02/06/15.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
These hypothetical "If you could only have one....." posts are stupid.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Ackman

Only an idiot would post on such a thread.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If Obama had a rifle....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Ackman

Only an idiot would post on such a thread.

Dave

Clark;
Top of the morning to you sir, hopefully this finds you and yours well.

I was going to reply with something pithy like "I resemble that incantation" or perhaps "I reassemble that incineration".....

For the life of me now though I need to look up what I really meant to say.

When I do though sir, be assured I'll post it with vehemence, vigor and the appropriate aptitude to convey my true feelings on the subject.

Meanwhile this will have to suffice. wink

All the best to you and yours Clark.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 02/06/15. Reason: forgot a sentence.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Years ago Ken Waters wrote a "Four favorite guns" essay. I can only remember three of his choices: a .280 Rem, a 300 H&H, and a 375 H&H. Near the end of the essay, he included a throw-away commment that if limited to one, he would choose none of his four--it would be a 30-06 instead.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks Dwayne, I look forward to your results with the new barrel.
take care
Pat

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
For general blasting and hunting in my locale I would be happy with a Kimber Montana in 243 with a 1 in 8 barrel shooting 105 amaxs for play, predators and varmints and 95 NBTs for big game.

If the Commonwealth allowed big game hunting with 22 CFs I could be even happier with the same rifle in 22-250 slinging 75 amaxs, 62 TTSXs and 55 hornady SPs.

Talley LWs, a Leupold 3.5-10 with either a LR duplex or an M1, a set of Harris swivel bipods when I wanted them and one of Pat's slings would round out my set-up nicely.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Dwayne man!

Looking forward to your comment. Whenever it may arrive...

Found some killer bunny locations. May have to get the kids over there this weekend...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Due to the fact the largest thing I hunt these days is deer or antelope, followed by varmints, my choice would be:

.220 Swift
M70 short action
1-8" twist Brux or Rock SS barrel
Hunters Edge stock, brown with red pad
3.5x10 VX3 Leupold
Bullet choice determined by the critter being hunted at the time

However, thank God we are not limited to one rifle only!!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Speaking hypothetically, based on the kind of hunting I do anymore, my custom .30-06 Mauser with receiver sight and QD Griffin&Howe scope mount would serve my purpose. Handloaded with light cast bullets and a pinch of pistol powder for small game, and full snort jacketed loads for bigger stuff, with medium velocity cast bullet loads for fun shooting in between, it would serve my needs- if I were forced to do so. Come to think of it, a .30-30 built on a single shot action or bolt gun (such as a Winchester 54, which I also have) shooting the same loads described above would also serve me well considering that game bigger than deer hunted in Eastern Woodlands isn't in the cards I'm holding in my hand.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, BamaCKC, 300_savage, AussieGunWriter, 10 invisible), 1,196 guests, and 709 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,232
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.