Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 26 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 25 26
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Reed

Deflave: The 243 with a 1 in 8" really seems to me to be on he extreme end of the shooting community wishes but as I said we are looking at all twists. I do not have personal experience with a 243 so can't offer real life fact based opinion. Do you have experience with that twist rate and shooting bullets at the extreme light and heavy ends of the spectrum? If so how did they shoot?

Paul

With the 6mm's no, the .224's, yes.

The drawback to the faster twists is that some of the bullets designed to rapidly expand at low velocity (Hornady SX as an example) will come unglued in faster twists.

There may be some .243 caliber bullets that meet this criteria also, but I can't think of any that are being manufactured currently.

The 1-8" twist in .243's and .224's is not on the extreme end of the shooting community wishes. Most of the shooting community wouldn't know a twist rate from a dildddo. As has been stated, you're gonna lock that side of the market up regardless. It's the dickheads (me) you need to pursue.

Lighter/shorter bullets don't suffer from fast twists. Yes the rifle may not care for certain bullets, but it's not twist related.

Twist them more faster. If it doesn't work out well I will buy you a beer. During happy hour. If you're a lady. On lady's night.

Best of luck.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
In the 243, especially for a hunting (non varmint) rifle, there is zero downside to a 1:8. My preferred 6mm bullet is the 105 berger, which won't work in a 1:9 but will in a 1:8.
My general opinion is this- the crowd that these rifles cater to is one of more serious hunters, who are more likely aware of what the market offers and potential that is available in bullet selection for various chamberings. These are not the guys slumming remington 770s with the cheapest box o ammo walmart offers. We know the difference, and a 243 twist of 1:8 will almost certainly guarantee you sales that something slower will not. You have a nice action, trigger, stock and bottom metal. But to those of use that care, a good barrel, properly twisted, is the most important piece of the puzzle.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Though I'm not nearly as experienced as most people on this forum I will say this company has my attention. I'm glad more attention is being paid to the 1,000 - 2,000$ range lately. I personally love the shift the past few years to "budget" rifles and have been very impressed by their functioning. I bought a Marlin XS7 in 7mm 08 right out of college because I wanted a new rifle and it was all I could afford. Overall I was very impressed with it though for a variety or reasons I traded it in for a T/C Venture in .270.

I bought both as a stop gap knowing that I would buy a "better rifle" when I had the money. The past three years I have been searching for this rifle but haven't pulled the trigger yet as nothing has "wowed" me. I love that the LAW closer is mid weight, cerakoted stainless, has a Timeney Trigger and a three position safety. I also love the company representatives response to all the posts here. He was very respectful and professional but didn't just appease everyone with that "customer is always right" BS I hate.

However, before I order one I want to see 1. Consistency - I want to see a bunch of people reporting at least MOA accuracy and hopefully close to .5 MOA accuracy out of the box with factory Loads. I don't want to see MOA after recrowning, modifying mag box, giving up on recrown job and then barreling and then trying 1,000 handloads. 2. Actual Street Price - Who pays MSRP anymore? I wonder what the Gunbroker/BUDS price will be.... 1200 for the closer? 3. Customer Service - Maybe I am entitled but if I buy a rifle for well over a grand and if it doesn't shoot least 1.5 MOA with one out of 4 quality factory loads, or doesn't feed etc. I want to call customer service, ship it to them and get back a rifle that does the above.

In summary I've been looking for a cerakoted stainless steel, very smooth, sub-MOA sporter weight rifle to be my "does everything rifle" and believe this may be it. However, a part of me also wants to simply order a clearance XS7 stainless. Sorry for long post.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It's got to make you wonder though how a guy could start a new business without be aware of certain things.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Thought same

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Brad you talking to me or Reed?

I have not seen the color......course I'm the wrong one to ask....I'll hunt them with no paint LOL!

Bob responding to you and to anyone/no one.

Not sure what's going on with my camfire settings... should have shown responding to you but didn't. Weird. Also all my reponses are going into "wathced topics"... a new and wierd turn of events.

BTW, you and Dober hunt them "raw"... had his over at the house this week to fiddle with... it doesn't get much more "Dober" than this... it'll definitely frighten game being blue and all grin :

[Linked Image]

Brad that does't look too bad....the blue and all. We used to fill the holes in the Brown Precision blanks, sand off the seams,and hunt them like that.

No paint....man were they ugly. After awhile it would get on a guys nerves and we'd grab a can of spray paint.

I used to joke with friends that I'd like to put a skull and cross bones on one of mine for giggles. It would be years before I found out some guy in Alaska beat me to it. whistle grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Brown stock got a black spray can job right before deer season, with the thought that I would fix the bedding and paint later. 6 years later I sanded the rough spots down to the bondo and gelcoat and then got sidetracked. Put it back together and hunted, 10 years later I finally finished it. I kinda miss the gelcoat, bondo black spray look. It was fun to tell someone I have the ugliest rifle you ever saw, and then have them agree.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Really Calvin? And please explain to us why you havent started your own company since apparently you know so much about the firearms business? Certainly you aren't saying that you know more than Mark Bansner? Perhaps LAW should offer you a job? What do you say Reed?

If you go look at the Winchester website, their twist rate is 1:10 for .243 model 70's.......I guess they are just a bunch of dumb [bleep] too huh? Clearly it should be mandatory for all rifle manufacturers to consult members of this website before they develop their firearms.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Clearly......lol. It sounds to me that this "guy" is aware of "certain things". No matter how hard one tries, it appears that not everyone will agree.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Reed

Deflave: The 243 with a 1 in 8" really seems to me to be on he extreme end of the shooting community wishes but as I said we are looking at all twists. I do not have personal experience with a 243 so can't offer real life fact based opinion. Do you have experience with that twist rate and shooting bullets at the extreme light and heavy ends of the spectrum? If so how did they shoot?

Paul

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JasonH

If you go look at the Winchester website, their twist rate is 1:10 for .243 model 70's.......I guess they are just a bunch of dumb [bleep] too huh?

They sure are.

Have been for a loooong time.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Clearly......lol. It sounds to me that this "guy" is aware of "certain things". No matter how hard one tries, it appears that not everyone will agree.

+1

It takes more than a coal/throat/twist expert to acquire two major components from top line companies, design, manufacture, and market a new rifle.

Cut them a little slack. Picking industry standard twists was probably a low level decision compared to all they had going on.

They are listening. They deserve a little patience.

This could be a really nice rifle.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by deflave

If you go look at the Winchester website, their twist rate is 1:10 for .243 model 70's.......I guess they are just a bunch of dumb [bleep] too huh?

They sure are.

Have been for a loooong time.

Travis

For sooooooooooooooooo long . . . and people still buy em!

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Have either one of you had your hands on a South Carolina manufactured or Portuguese Winchester? Because I will agree that the last few years they were made in New Haven they were pretty pathetic. However the South Carolina made Jack O'Connor tribute that I have is one awesome rifle. And the Portuguese .243 Super Grade I just bought might be just a bit nicer than the South Carolina rifles I've seen.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
If you go look at the Winchester website, their twist rate is 1:10 for .243 model 70's.......I guess they are just a bunch of dumb [bleep] too huh? Clearly it should be mandatory for all rifle manufacturers to consult members of this website before they develop their firearms.

We've been over this already.

The 10 twist 243 sucks for high BC bullets. Normal saps don't shoot high BC bullets so they don't care. Guys who like to shoot longer range want to shoot high BC bullets therefore they need a tighter twist. If LAW were to use a tighter twist it would ADD to the number of people interested in their products. And Joe Schmoe wouldn't know or care while he was launching pingpong balls and round noses out of his fast twist barrel. 8 twist barrel blanks cost the same as 10 twist blanks do, I know I order them on a weekly basis.

Therefore in summary, if they increase the twist rates they offer LAW would be increasing their customer base for no added investment. Nobody gets hurt, everybody wins. LAW, Joe Schmoe, and the fast twist guys all get what they want. There is NO downside! This is simple effing math here. You're making this way to hard. The company man wanted input and he's getting it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's why Winchester is a bunch of idiots. They could be selling even more rifles. I mean, the Winchester brand has only transferred ownership like four times, so clearly they are the litmus for how to run a business.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I guess I just don't understand why a few folks made such a big deal over the twist rates from the very beginning. If you don't like the way LAW builds rifles, aren't there plenty of other choices?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
And which firearms company do you run Micro Groove?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You know that at this price point, there aren't that many choices.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Really Calvin? And please explain to us why you havent started your own company since apparently you know so much about the firearms business? Certainly you aren't saying that you know more than Mark Bansner? Perhaps LAW should offer you a job? What do you say Reed?

There's always one that destroys the 'even a blind squirrel..' theory.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 11 of 26 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

215 members (300_savage, 16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 31 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,245
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.