Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#958430 08/07/06
tp4whlr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Looking to make my first ever PD shoot next year.
I could use any and all recommendations on places to go, people to contact, outfitters to use/not use, etc.
I have never been on a PD shoot, and don't know anyone who has, so all info would be very much appreciated.

The setup:
A few guys I know and a couple from work, have been kicking around the idea of making a PD shoot.
None of us have any experience, and all are working stiffs.
All live within a 50 mile radius of Houston, Tx.
We would like to find something in North Texas to Kansas (willing to consider other areas), reasonable rates.
Trying to keep it within a 24 hour drive.
Looking at May or early June of '07(have to schedule vacation time from work).
Thanks

NRA Patron Life Member
TSRA Life Member
Firearms Acquisitioner and Accumulator
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Scroll through past threads, it's all here.

Remember, you can change how long back the forum displays (it's at the bottom of the forum page).

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
tp4whlr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Scroll through past threads, it's all here.

Remember, you can change how long back the forum displays (it's at the bottom of the forum page).

Went back as far as allowed, and found some good info, but was hoping to get more detail. Signed-up over at Varmint Hunter's and awaiting membership packet now. Really looking to get set-up with an outfitter to hopefully start me off correctly.
Thanks
Ted

NRA Patron Life Member
TSRA Life Member
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
tp4whlr,

Here is a place in Kansas that was recommended on another board. Good luck!!!

http://www.geocities.com/graymist44/betrandranch.html

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
small world.......your link connects to a ranch that is not only my sister neighbor but she grazes cattle for them too.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
who is it that regularly ask's if someone has a sister,,,and if there single..???

i like PD hunts...your welcome to join me hunting pigs in texas sometime... were is newcaney...

i'm retired,,,or is it Really tired,,,i forget

retirement is to dang busi for me...
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
steelhead...

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't pay an outfitter to take you prairie dog shooting! I can tell you were there are enough that you'll get tired of shooting them before you run out of shooting and it is completely free --- as it damn well should be.

tp4whlr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Shortcamp, appreciate the link, that is one I haven't seen in my searches.

Korps, new caney is roughly 30 miles northeast of houston, follow 59 north out of houston, if you hit cleveland, you've gone to far.

ranger1, I hope to make it to Montana one of these days, been tryin' to schedule it for 25 years.

I have never hunted outside of Texas (whitetails & Hogs), and don't know anyone who has hunted PD's. My logic was to go with an outfitter to learn the finer points and hopefully not pick-up any bad habits in the learning process, before striking out on my lonesome to shoot Pd's. Prior to 6 or 7 years ago my longest shot at game was maybe 150 yards ( east Texas hunting ), I've since been on a few west Texas hunts and have a few kills in excess of 200 yards, but nothing beyond 250 yds. I probably could use a few tips and pointers.
Thanks

NRA Patron Life Member
TSRA Life Member
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have very unique opportunities to shoot pds pretty much whenever I would like. So I will offer up a couple tips.....take them or leave them.
No matter where you go to shoot them....after you kill a few.. the shots in that location will be farther and farther.
Your 250 yd. max. will soon be 400 yd.
Guns that shoot deer well at 200 yds. are often not accurate enough to shoot pds. at 400 yds.
If your rifle won't group five shots inside .750" at 100.....it will be more limited on maximum range that it will be effective.
Not a lot of bad habits can be learned shootin pds.
Most of those you will have acquired previously.
Good binos are a must......I have never used a spotting scope because they have such limited field of view and unless you are shooting past 500 yds.....not necessary.
I am not real wild about laying on the ground and if you are in a good place to shoot them a table works great.
If you are planning on making it a 'big once in a lifetime' trip plan for lots of ammo and a couple different rifles.
I go all the time so its not that big of deal for me.
I normally will shoot 300 rds. on a good day....some guys shoot twice that many.
Good luck on your mission........let us know what you find.

IC B3

tp4whlr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Appreciate the info skb2706.
I have been contemplating doing this for awhile. I currently have a 223wsm, 22-250, 204 ruger, and a 223 that I am working on setting up for PD's. I also have a 7mm-08 and a 25-06 that could serve as back-ups. I hope to make this a regular event, provided it proves to be as enjoyable as some videos make it out to be. Binos and spotting scope I acquired after hunting west Texas the first time (must have). I shot competition years ago, and often practiced 500 to 600 rounds in a day. Granted that has been over 20 years ago, and I don't know how my body will handle it now, but slowly working up on that now. I hope to use a portable bench to shoot from, as bad knees and back get sore quick getting up and down.
Really appreciate your info, and if you think of anything else give me a shout.

NRA Patron Life Member
TSRA Life Member
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This is our standard setup and that happens to be my sister, excellent shooter, landowner, dryland farmer and and all around good person to know if you are considering shooting pds. She is shooting a Ruger #1 in 22-250 handloaded 50 gr. Vmaxs and is quite effective out past 400 yds.

"http://www.hunt101.com/?p=427653&c=500&z=1"

Watching videos of people shooting pds is like watching videos of people having sex. Leaves out alot of the good part.....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (beefan, 300_savage, BangPop, 907brass, 6 invisible), 1,465 guests, and 870 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,589
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.