Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Hardly but you can imagine if you like

Sure.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bob have you owned 243's in 1-9" and 1-8" loaded with these long heavier weight bullets like the ones being discussed here ? I owned a 6mm Rem 40X single shot with a two ounce trigger option and it came with a 1-12" twist and I remember slinging and ass load of bullets downrange with that rifle, but IIRC the heaviest I used back then were the Sierra 85gr BTHP's and they were unbelievably accurate. Length wise they were mostly likely the same or close in length to the 95 or 100 gr Partition. In hindsight, I think I hade the option of a 1-10" twist fro the Custom Shop back then and I don't think they offered a 1-9" back then, but I could be mistaken. Back then the old philosophy was to sin bullets only as much as you had to with the heaviest bullets you intended to shoot, because back then they felt that over spinning bullets led to accuracy problems. As Mule Deer said not long ago, that the bullets made today are much more concentric so accuracy problems are not as big of an issue by spinning them fast.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You want to settle for a compromise?

I don't even know why we are so concerned with LAW. Stick nailed it in his first post.

With all the special runs, no reason to compromise.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
I can't fathom how a 1-9" isn't a nice compromise.

That's what my thought as well. The 1-9" should handle the 105 AMAX with little problem as Mule Deer pointed out, the faster twist being discussed would not be a detriment for the masses who will use this rifle as they don't shoot at long enough distances to even notice the potential advantages (longer distances) to see the difference (advantages) being discussed here. Regardless of whether the 1-8" twist will give the long distance shooters the leg up they state they will see, 95% of these rifles potential market, probably would never see it's advantage under 600 yards to take advantage of the even faster yet twist they state it would. Heck, I think the twist rates stated for the 260 were 1-8" and that newer 26 Nosler too has a 1-8" twist, so if long distance shooters plan on buying one of these LAW rifles, LAW certainly twisted them correctly with 1-8" twists on those rifles anyway.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin

I don't even know why we are so concerned with LAW. Stick nailed it in his first post.

With all the special runs, no reason to compromise.

Stick is usually right on many topics related to shooting and he is a proponent of buying rifles built around the use of a specific bullet. But again, that market (and thinking while good) represents an even smaller market segment. Remember too, that Stick is a head shot guy, at least from the pics I've seen here of his victims, so unless that is your plan as well, it might not be the road you'd want to build a rifle around. Any animal shot in the noggin is going to drop like a rock, so he picks bullets based on high BC and long range shots for than reason mostly. He has to anchor [bleep] pronto as tracking animals that travel into bear country isn't a warm and fuzzy feeling, along with if they travel some distance into cover, recovering them is a bitch do to the density of the bush. I know that his good pal, John Burns, also buys rifles with the same mindset as he is selling a "turnkey" rig for his customers, so his setup is more successful to build rifles that are going to use one bullet, at a certain velocity, along with a scope with a custom load specific system. For Burns rifles too, it makes complete sense.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
6mm, 6.5mm, and 7mm - 1:8" twist

Thank me later grin

That'd simplify things and satisfy the needs and wants of the guys who will be pulling out their wallets for one of these rifles. The 7mm 162gr A-Max, hardly the heaviest or longest bullet out there in 7mm, says "1:8 twist" right on the box. Several of the monos and sleeker bullets benefit from same, and bullets only get longer over time, as history illustrates- from the round ball down to the VLD and Hybrid, and Bob thoughtfully pointed that out. Barrel and rifle manufacturers are always playing "catch up" to try and keep up with the bullets of the day.

We face the same problem with our road system and population growth in our city. Every few years our decision makers recognize the need to expand our freeways and highways, albeit always a few years too late, and they create road construction projects to match current demand. So rather than building the roads a little larger than needed right now, so as to accommodate the city's population 5 years from now, they're always 3 years behind. People in our city are generally unhappy with our traffic and road situation. The city roads and infrastructure people have a lack of vision and forethought that hurts the general satisfaction with roads in our city.

Hopefully those sitting down to design rifles and barrels can do so with a little more vision and foresight.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I 'm thinking that pressure from faster twist may also play a part in their decisions to some degree!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
This thread is funnier than [bleep]. P.O. Ackley, old farts from NH, a guy that has never left NC, plus the added pressure concern.

Let's also not leave out 'fast twist' makes sense for head shooters. I'm sure if it weren't for flaming a few deer a year in brain pan that Stick would be running 1-12" 243's. Sweet Jesus.

If this don't work out for Reed I hope he opens a Clown College, plenty of candidates here.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

The irony is, you probably live in one, drive one, and are in the employ of one. The world is full of them. For good reason.

That's deep.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I bet he's NEVER been told that before.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What didn't you understand about what I said Scotty ? I'll type slower if needed. I never said anything about his choice of twist rates because he takes heads shots. I said he like fast twists because of the bullets he uses at extended ranges. He talks incessantly about long (for caliber) bullets because of their high BC needed for the distances he shoots at (or likes to shoot at). Clear enough now ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This thread has been fun to read. grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
This thread is funnier than [bleep]. P.O. Ackley, old farts from NH, a guy that has never left NC, plus the added pressure concern.

Let's also not leave out 'fast twist' makes sense for head shooters. I'm sure if it weren't for flaming a few deer a year in brain pan that Stick would be running 1-12" 243's. Sweet Jesus.

If this don't work out for Reed I hope he opens a Clown College, plenty of candidates here.

LOL! Great contribution....as usual. Another vagina monologue.

Last edited by BobinNH; 02/08/15.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
I 'm thinking that pressure from faster twist may also play a part in their decisions to some degree!

That's a non-starter.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by FOsteology
This thread has been fun to read. grin

Painfully funny...

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I don't think any of this is worth arguing over anymore. Trying to reason with certain folks on this forum is like trying to convince bill clinton to keep his dick in his pants.

It's absurd to actually believe that a company is not going to be successful because they don't design their rifles to the specifications of the garage gunsmiths on this forum. The fact remains that as long as LAW builds a reliable rifle that is reasonably accurate and keeps the street price around $1500, they will probably sell every rifle they can make. Regardless of twist rate. If the rifles will shoot 1-1.5" groups at 100 yards, that is all most hunters will ever need or care about. The real attraction of these rifles is going to be the proprietary action, the cerrakote finish and the high tech specialties stock.

If they happen to go to the 1:8 twist that the ballistic nazis on this forum are shouting for, so be it. I'm sure it will make a handful of people very happy. However, even if they don't, it's not going to hurt their profits. They will smile all the way to the bank.

If the opinions of the people on this forum mattered so much, then they would already be employed in the firearms business in some capacity. The fact that they are not shows just how useful their opinions really are. Again, the sooner you folks realize that we are all just piss ants with a computer, the better off you will be.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JasonH
I don't think any of this is worth arguing over anymore. Trying to reason with certain folks on this forum is like trying to convince bill clinton to keep his dick in his pants.

It's absurd to actually believe that a company is not going to be successful because they don't design their rifles to the specifications of the garage gunsmiths on this forum. The fact remains that as long as LAW builds a reliable rifle that is reasonably accurate and keeps the street price around $1500, they will probably sell every rifle they can make. Regardless of twist rate. If the rifles will shoot 1-1.5" groups at 100 yards, that is all most hunters will ever need or care about. The real attraction of these rifles is going to be the proprietary action, the cerrakote finish and the high tech specialties stock.

If they happen to go to the 1:8 twist that the ballistic nazis on this forum are shouting for, so be it. I'm sure it will make a handful of people very happy. However, even if they don't, it's not going to hurt their profits. They will smile all the way to the bank.

If the opinions of the people on this forum mattered so much, then they would already be employed in the firearms business in some capacity. The fact that they are not shows just how useful their opinions really are. Again, the sooner you folks realize that we are all just piss ants with a computer, the better off you will be.

I'm no ordinary garage gunsmith.

Here at 'flave Precision we get things right. Sometimes.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by twofish
Also, it would be great if somebody would be kind enough to send me a PM about the Kimber group buy please.

Thanks,

twofish

I believe it is a MRC group buy. And it is posted in the Hunting Rifles section.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

Good fugging gravy.

Dave

Page 14 of 26 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (219DW, 219 Wasp, 160user, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,187
Posts18,503,347
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.