Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I am planning to purchase a LH stainless/laminate and a walnut/blued 375 Ruger in the next few days.

Other than barrel finish, what is the difference between these two walnut models?

Pics show 2 cross bolts and 1 for the African (if you can trust those pictures).

If there is a difference, which is preferable?

Ruger® M77® Hawkeye® Left Hand 375 Ruger 23" Barrel
• Left Handed
• American Walnut Stock
• Alloy Steel Material
• Bead Front Sight
• 23" Barrel
• 8 lbs.
• 1:12" RH Twist
• 3 Round Capacity
• Satin Blue Finish
• Adjustable Rear Sight
• 44.88" Overall Length
• 13.50" Length Of Pull
• 6 Grooves

Walnut/blued

Ruger® M77® Hawkeye® African Left Hand Bolt Action Rifle
• 375 Ruger® Big Bore
• 23" Hammer Forged Blue Barrel
• Rifle Sights
• Beautiful Checkered Walnut Stock
• Matte Blued Metalwork
• Positive Floorplate Latch
• 3-Position Safety
• LC6™ Trigger
• Rubber Recoil Pad
• Integrated Optical Base
• MSRP $1,095.00

Walnut/blued African

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Concerning the stainless/laminate version.....does anyone here actually own that rifle?

Is muzzle blast excessive with that short 20 inch tube?

What about the LC6 trigger? How would you rate it?

Any other issues with these rifles?

Opinions are sure welcome.

Ruger® M77® Hawkeye® Left Hand Bolt Action Rifle
• 375 Ruger®
• 20" Hammer Forged Stainless Steel Barrel
• Front Bead Rifle Sight
• Adjustable Rear Sight
• Black Laminate Stock
• Brushed Stainless Steel Receiver & Barrel
• Positive Floorplate Latch
• Special Engraved Floorplate
• 3-Position Safety
• LC6™ Trigger
• Rubber Recoil Pad
• Integrated Optical Base

stainless/laminate

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm far from an expert, but I do own an SS/Lam Alaskan. I did not know they had 2 different blue/walnut models, only knew of the African (blue) and Alaskan (stainless) models. Some of your questions are subjective to the shooter. I've not shot mine side by side with a 23" inch model, so can't say it is louder but I'm sure it is. It's not as bad a rifle with a muzzle brake though. To me the trigger is acceptable for factory, but that may vary rifle to rifle and what you would consider acceptable. Personally I like the rifle. The 20" barrel makes it handy to carry in tight quarters. I won't comment on it's accuracy as I haven't scoped mine. I find the sights are really nice...rugged, bold and for me they line up instantly when the rifle is shouldered. No "issues" with mine, it feeds & ejects perfectly.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The blued Ruger Hawkeyes used to have a matte finish, it was pretty fragile and would show scratches easily, plus most folks just didn't care for the looks of it.

Ruger changed that to a satin blue smooth finish maybe 3 years ago, I forget the exact time.

So I think what you're seeing is just the different versions with the matte blue being the older one. Of the two I'd recommend the satin blue for the more durable finish plus two crossbolts. There were reports of early Africans developing splits behind the tang so it looks like Ruger added the second cross bolt to address that.

Now's the time to get one for sure, I don't think we'll ever see them for 600 bucks again. Ruger has discontinued all LH Hawkeye models so these are the last - until they make a special run. wink I see several Africans and the SS model on gunbroker and folks are still trying to get $800 or more for them. At the CDNN price I've been trying real hard to rationalize getting one of each just to put in the closet. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have one of the first run stainless with the front swivel on the stock. Took mine to Kodiak and it performed well. Short barrel was nice for the cover we were in. I can assure you that "muzzle blast" was not noticed when shooting at my bear. Gun handles and shoots great and accuracy is more than minute of brown bear or cape buffalo. My stock did chip behind the tang after a while. Ruger replaced the stock and returned the gun in 17 days. Haven't shot it since. Bottom line , I love the gun and at 600.00 bucks, it's a steal if you need a handy, semi short range thumper.

Last edited by scottf270; 02/09/15.
IC B2

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I have one of the lam/SS, and bought another at the CDNN price just for the closet. Like any big bore, you need to make sure the gun is correctly bedded, or bad things can happen (secondary recoil lugs cause splitting). I had a Win70 in .375 H&H, which I though was much too large and awkward. The Ruger is a much handier and practical package. I typically shoot handloads that are throttled back a bit, and recoil/muzzle blast are very manageable.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have the Alaskan but not the stock barrel. 25" in 330 Dakota. Much better cartridge for my purposes with better bullet selection. The trigger is fine, much improved with a Wolfe spring. 10 minute job makes it feel like a $100 trigger job.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thank you all for your observations and recommendations.

$599 for a LH DG rifle seems too good to be true.

The .532 rim diameter does open all sorts of re-barrel possibilities, if the cartridge struggles down the road. Doubt I would ever do that, as long as brass was available.

Thanks again-
MW

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I bought the Alaskan, then had it bedded and put on a Pach pad. It shoots lights out and is just plain fun! Muzzle blast with the short barrel is not an issue.

I liked the Alaskan so much that I bought one of the $600. African models. Now having it bedded and a new pad.

Both will have Alaskan Arms QD mounts and Trijicon scopes.

No pumpkin in Southern Indiana will be safe from these two rifles!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I also have a ss/lam Alaskan, and haven't ever noticed an issue with muzzle blast. Mine has taken two nilgai in the South Texas heat and humidity. I also have the same rifle in 30-06 and use it as my primary hunting rifle.

...on earth as it is in Texas.
IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have two of the 23" Africans, One is the standard blue/walnut and the other is the Stainless/laminate. Both mine are RH

Other than the Blue/stainless and the difference in stocks they re pretty much the same rifle. In my hands the laminate rifle feels slightly heavier.

Both rifles feel lighter and more lively than either the CZ or m70 in 375 I have held.

I also have a McMillan classic for the rifles (I will use it on the stainless rifle). Other than the Ernie the Gunsmith trigger spring the McMillan is the only modification

Neither is a bear recoil wise, but the 1" recoil pad on the McMillan really does moves the felt recoil down a notch. If I was going to retain the original stock I would probably have one fit.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have an Alaskan in a McMillan stock and no issues muzzle blast. The blast could become an issue with a break. My limit at the range is 10-15 rounds and is a lot of fun to shoot. I like the handling with the short barrel and think it is a great rifle for the money.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have a Ruger Alaskan 20" Early one, very accurate not a lot of muzzle blast and very balanced. Much more so than the Win 70 375 H&H I sold. Its in a McMillan stock. But really liked the lines and feel of the factory laminate.

Felt recoil is harsher than the 375 H&H IMHO.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thank you all for your experienced input.

After reading the sparkling reviews on the handling qualities of stainless/laminate Alaskan, am tempted to purchase two of those rather than one of each.

CDNN has the dealers FFL copy now. Just have to call.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hoarder!

wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Hoarder!

wink

Perhaps I will scoop-up 2 of the Alaskans AND 1 of the Walnut/satin-blued.

grin

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
many have turned the 375 Ruger into 338/375 Ruger as well. Dies are available, and it is as simple as running the cases through the size dies. I considered this, but also had a bunch of 330 Dakota ammo and supplies, and the head was the same size, so it worked

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe the difference is one of them has a break on it. Rugers web site shows two different Africans, one with a break and one without and this is probably why CDNN has it listed twice.

I like the LC6 trigger, one of its advantages is that is not a box design and is not likely to freeze up in inclimate weather. I would recommend purchasing an erniethegunsmith.com aftermarket trigger spring. It made a world of difference in my rifle.

Good luck with your new rifles.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1minute, 219DW, 63 invisible), 2,886 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,482
Posts18,490,208
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.