Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Anyone recommend a decent muzzle brake for a 300 win mag?

Thanks

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
The only one I would consider is Magaporting and then, only for a very few cartridges. Generally, I don;t like any.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I will never magna port another rifle,ever again.I really like the 1's Karl at kampfeldcustom.com makes.they have holes drilled at a forward angle to dispurse the noise from the shot so it dissipates faster and gently pushes the rifle backwards and he can match the diameter of your barrel.You will have a hard time trying to see where the barrel and the brake are joined together.Besides that he is 1 of the BEST GUNSMITHS in this country,period and a fine man to do business with.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
You're not gonna like this but,get a .308 or a .30-06.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Be a good citizen.
Just say no to muzzle brakes...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by scouttracker

Thanks

http://www.muzzlebrakesandmore.com/ROSS_SCHULERS_PAGE.php

You've already started to get some responses from those in the "No muzzle brakes ever" camp, most who have never shot a rifle with a muzzle brake, pay no attention to them. Muzzle brakes are very simple, they cut recoil considerably but they're loud. It's up to you whether or not the increase in noise is worth it for the decrease in recoil. In my case I have them on two rifles, both prairie dog rifles with very little recoil to begin with but for the purpose of letting me spot the hits in the scope. I don't shoot them without hearing protection. Shooting them with hearing protection is very nice, the recoil is almost non-existent and you can shoot all day without impact.

If you do shoot them with hearing protection then they're very nice, they cut recoil a lot and make shooting a lot more fun. I can shoot a heavy recoiling rifle as well as any other, but more than a few shots isn't fun. Muzzle brakes help a lot to fix that. My guess is that those who hate muzzle brakes don't shoot much and are just parroting what they've read on the web.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one on a 338 Win Mag that I just sold to a friend. Rem 700 and it came from the factory.It is removeable by threading off (left hand threads). IMO I am very glad it is removable! While it was nice while shooting at the bench, the first time I fired it hunting was enough. I bought the cap that protects the threaded end of the barrel and took it off. Too much noise for me. Just my opinion! FWIW, my newest 338 does not have one nor will I add one.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
None, never had a need for one. The ones I have been around or shot did not impress me much unless I was in the lane next to it. Then I would cuss like the sailor that I am LOL.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
While I do not use breaks, I would look at a Vais if one wanted one.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The flaming pig.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Do not put a muzzle brake on any rifle you will EVER fire without ear protection on you or anyone else in the vicinity. To say they are loud is a gross understatement. I put one on a 300RUM and shot one elk with it. The slight pain from recoil is nothing compared to the sensation of having ice picks stuck in your ears. I took the damned thing off.
If there was a rifle I had to have a brake on (maybe a 50BMG?) I would look for one that was removable while hunting or wear hearing protection when I was shooting it.
That was my experience.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I've told this story here before but here goes...

A buddy of mine has a KDF on his .300 Win mag that he takes elk hunting. The day before opening day several years ago we were shooting our rifles to check our zeroes. I checked mine and as I was about 25-30 yards behind walking back toward the tent he fired his rifle. HOLY SPIT Batman, I felt like someone had slapped me on both ears. It hurt...a lot!

A couple years later he killed a cow but had to shoot her three times trying to keep her from going down a steep canyon. When he got back to camp, he said, "Man, I can't hear a thing!" The ringing continued for a couple of days.

If you have a chance find someone that has a brake on a rifle and have them fire it while you're several yards behind them and see what you think.

I think that the guy that came up with the idea of muzzle brakes on rifles was really trying to impress his friends with how loud his rifle was and incidentally realized that it cut the recoil. grin

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Looking in to the same thing. I shot a 338 Lapua with a brake and it was quite pleasant.

I am looking at a VAIS for my 300 win mag build.

I don't shoot or hunt without hearing protection!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by johnw
Be a good citizen.
Just say no to muzzle brakes...

This. I wont hunt with anyone carrying a rifle with a brake. Cant hardly stand to sit next to them at the range either...

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Check out the current Browning rifle offerings. 10 years ago the
Browning Boss, "was" the thing to do.

Now, not so much ! You have heard about the reason why.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'd recommend the Pachmayr Decelerator. Softer on the shoulder with no increase in noise.

Scott
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by EdM
I would look at a Vais.

This.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have a boss on a Browning. Never had a problem with it. In fact I have killed numerous deer while wearing no hearing protection with it and never had any ear issues. Also shot a few game animals with experienced hunters at my side without hearing protection, never once did anyone mention any ill effects from the braked rifle. Not concerned with how loud it is at a range as I've also never been unfortunate enough to need to shoot centerfire rifles at a public range. I have found many like to bash brakes on the internet when in fact few have ever had true experience with one. Would I recommend them on all rifles? No. They certainly serve their purpose on some calibers for some people.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't have and do not intend to have one. Used to think about getting one on my 300 Win, but never did because of the noise. I have hunting rifles not range guns. My sporting clays gun is ported, bought it used at a good price, and even it is loud.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by scouttracker

Thanks

My personal experience is limited to rifles with the BOSS brakes and a KDF Varmint brake. I prefer the KDF.

I had a KDF varmint brake put on my new .338 about twenty years ago. As far as recoil reduction it worked fine. It makes a bit less noise than the Boss braked rifles so popular at that time. It also gives quite a bit less dust signature. I used it for a couple of hunts and took it off. It sits with my reloading dies.

I used a couple of BOSS equipped .270's. One, a friends, quite a bit as we hunted a lot together and it was fun to work up loads.

I also ended up with an SS M70 .270 All Terrain with a BOSS. I found a new unbraked '06 barrel and had it changed out.

The best result I have gotten from a brake is that my .338 was shortened to 23" from 26". I liked that change.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 56 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,571
Posts18,473,285
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.