Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I dont own a centerfire bolt gun that doesnt have a brake. They work, and I have never really cared what others thought.

HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by scouttracker
Anyone recommend a decent muzzle brake for a 300 win mag?

Thanks

http://www.muzzlebrakesandmore.com/ROSS_SCHULERS_PAGE.php

You've already started to get some responses from those in the "No muzzle brakes ever" camp, most who have never shot a rifle with a muzzle brake, pay no attention to them. Muzzle brakes are very simple, they cut recoil considerably but they're loud. It's up to you whether or not the increase in noise is worth it for the decrease in recoil. In my case I have them on two rifles, both prairie dog rifles with very little recoil to begin with but for the purpose of letting me spot the hits in the scope. I don't shoot them without hearing protection. Shooting them with hearing protection is very nice, the recoil is almost non-existent and you can shoot all day without impact.

If you do shoot them with hearing protection then they're very nice, they cut recoil a lot and make shooting a lot more fun. I can shoot a heavy recoiling rifle as well as any other, but more than a few shots isn't fun. Muzzle brakes help a lot to fix that. My guess is that those who hate muzzle brakes don't shoot much and are just parroting what they've read on the web.
+1, Mr Ross is a good guy to deal with.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Well I believe you should always wear hearing protection whether your rifle has a brake or not. With that in mind then I recommend a brake on every rifle. I always wear electronic muffs. Even while hunting. Helps me to hear things that I normally wouldn't hear. Also keeps my ears warm when it's cold out. Kirby's Painkiller brake works really well as does a Holland brake. I have both. My 300 WM kicks about like a 243. I use to be in the no brake camp. I don't use them for the reduction in recoil, but for the muzzle control.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
KDF

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I use....

NONE!!!!

Even on my .300 WBY!!!!

If you can't shoot it, buy a smaller gun!!!!

------------------------------

The APE

"But resist we much...we must...and we will much...about...that...be committed." - the "Reverend" Al Sharpton
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I don't use muzzle brakes--a Decellerator pad is the cheapest, and most quiet muzzle brake I've ever found.

The stupidest thing I ever did to a rifle was magnaport it........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
I would look at a Vais if one wanted one.

I put one on my 338 RUM, feels like 270 Win. now.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Rem. 700 .338 which has a factory brake. The brake is removable but I only fired it twice with the brake removed. Never again! I consider this to be my "lucky" rifle. I seem to see more game while carrying this than any of my other guns.

In the past I had a Browning .223 with a BOSS attachment. I bought the gun mostly to try out the BOSS to see if they worked as advertised. They did and the gun was the most accurate factory gun I think I have ever owned.

I also owned a Rem. 700 Mountain Rifle in 7/08. I had it Magnaported to resolve a medical problem I was dealing with at the time. It worked as advertised but after my medical problem got resolved it eventually went down the road so I could try something else.

And in the interests of honesty, I wear hearing aids! Probably the brakes may have contributed to the problem but I know some of the shooting practices I was exposed to over the years likely helped to cause the problem.

Jim

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I use muzzle brakes by Vais, Pac-Nor, and Mag-na-Brake by Mag-na-port - this is not barrel porting but a removable threaded muzzle brake (http://magnaport.com/rifle.html). My next barrel for a Savage Precision Target Action will include a Sharp Shooter Supply muzzle brake.

I use them on every new rifle, even the .223 Remington, to dampen recoil and/or make hits in the field visible, and reduce the accumulative impact of recoil. The .308 and 6.5-284 both benefit from recoil reduction, especially my 6.5-284 that would occasionally hit my spectacles with the scope. I shoot varmint and do a lot of experimenting off the bench at a public gun club range, recoil thrust acceleration can and will cause concussion over time.

The BS about noise is silly, the muzzle brake does not amplify the noise it directs the blast wave outward, the shooter needs to wear hearing protection regardless. I was employed for years at a public firing range, the noise of all firing must be attenuated by wearing ear plugs at the minimum, and ear plugs and muffs on any firing line. That particular range had a peaked roof over the firing line, it focused the sound pressure waves so that occasionally it would lift my ear muffs enough to make my ears ring, even though I wore plugs under them. When hunting in open country I wear foam ear plugs. If your ears ring when you shoot, you have damaged your hearing. When the ringing stops those nerve cells are gone. Exposure to noise even with the plugs and muffs, and years of doing steel fabrication, left me with a severe hearing loss. When tested, I discovered that even the sizzling noise of a MIG welding torch with carbon dioxide flux gas was producing 90 - 94 decibels, lighter helium and mixed gasses were even louder. The action level for noise exposure is 80 decibels if exposure lasts 4 hours or more. my exposure ran to 136 decibels while grinding steel tubing.

So the upshot is that continual exposure to recoil forces will cause bruising and a concussion, and exposure to muzzle blast noise will damage your hearing and can also result in a concussion. Always wear ear plugs and have a pair of muffs nearby for use on crowded firing lines, especially when that guy with the .50BMG rifle sits down next to you and the wave of hot gas passes over you knocking over your coke and blowing your bag of Cheetos off the bench. Muzzle brakes, ear plugs and muffs - all part of the game, unless suppressors are legalized in all 50 states.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
I use muzzle brakes by Vais, Pac-Nor, and Mag-na-Brake by Mag-na-port - this is not barrel porting but a removable threaded muzzle brake (http://magnaport.com/rifle.html). My next barrel for a Savage Precision Target Action will include a Sharp Shooter Supply muzzle brake.

I use them on every new rifle, even the .223 Remington, to dampen recoil and/or make hits in the field visible, and reduce the accumulative impact of recoil. The .308 and 6.5-284 both benefit from recoil reduction, especially my 6.5-284 that would occasionally hit my spectacles with the scope. I shoot varmint and do a lot of experimenting off the bench at a public gun club range, recoil thrust acceleration can and will cause concussion over time.

The BS about noise is silly, the muzzle brake does not amplify the noise it directs the blast wave outward, the shooter needs to wear hearing protection regardless. I was employed for years at a public firing range, the noise of all firing must be attenuated by wearing ear plugs at the minimum, and ear plugs and muffs on any firing line. That particular range had a peaked roof over the firing line, it focused the sound pressure waves so that occasionally it would lift my ear muffs enough to make my ears ring, even though I wore plugs under them. When hunting in open country I wear foam ear plugs. If your ears ring when you shoot, you have damaged your hearing. When the ringing stops those nerve cells are gone. Exposure to noise even with the plugs and muffs, and years of doing steel fabrication, left me with a severe hearing loss. When tested, I discovered that even the sizzling noise of a MIG welding torch with carbon dioxide flux gas was producing 90 - 94 decibels, lighter helium and mixed gasses were even louder. The action level for noise exposure is 80 decibels if exposure lasts 4 hours or more. my exposure ran to 136 decibels while grinding steel tubing.

So the upshot is that continual exposure to recoil forces will cause bruising and a concussion, and exposure to muzzle blast noise will damage your hearing and can also result in a concussion. Always wear ear plugs and have a pair of muffs nearby for use on crowded firing lines, especially when that guy with the .50BMG rifle sits down next to you and the wave of hot gas passes over you knocking over your coke and blowing your bag of Cheetos off the bench. Muzzle brakes, ear plugs and muffs - all part of the game, unless suppressors are legalized in all 50 states.

Someone with "severe hearing loss" saying that the "BS about noise is silly" is like a blind man saying "there's not enough light in here".

When my bud shot his .300 mag as I was walking away, 25 or 30 yards or so behind him, the pain I felt was real and not BS! Maybe my ears are just more sensitive than those of other folks but I'll never have a brake on any of my rifles, even on my.338 or .375.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1Longbow, 204guy, 57 invisible), 1,889 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,879
Posts18,497,751
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.