-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We are in Texas for the winter and so far so good. 81 degrees yesterday, no severe cold, no snow, no ice, no wind chill, no shoveling,no treacherous driving, no heavy coat or sorel boots, good fishing in a boat and not a shanty. Good politics. What did you guys say the disadvantages are?

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OK, I feel dissed now. LOL
Brownsville isn't bad. The Rio Grande Valley isn 't bad. I live and work here (25 years). I did send my kids to private school though. Weather is great 300+ days a year, hunting & fishing is great. Stay out of the bad places. Now, a LOT of fair skinned, city women don't do well here for some reason. I lived in the DE/PA/Maryland region for 15 months and I'll take South TX anytime!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just like Mexico, B'ville is fine. It's all the
mexicans that ruin it.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Chainsaw
We are in Texas for the winter and so far so good. 81 degrees yesterday, no severe cold, no snow, no ice, no wind chill, no shoveling,no treacherous driving, no heavy coat or sorel boots, good fishing in a boat and not a shanty. Good politics. What did you guys say the disadvantages are?

What part of Texas are you in?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
Brownsville isn't bad. The Rio Grande Valley isn 't bad. I live and work here (25 years). I did send my kids to private school though. Weather is great 300+ days a year, hunting & fishing is great. Stay out of the bad places. Now, a LOT of fair skinned, city women don't do well here for some reason. I lived in the DE/PA/Maryland region for 15 months and I'll take South TX anytime!

Home is home and we all love home for a reason. By the way you lived on the wrong end of Pa. The western side of the state rocks.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

Home is home and we all love home for a reason. By the way you lived on the wrong end of Pa. The western side of the state rocks.

LOL, well the RGV is home now, but I moved here when I was in my early 20s. I grew up in North TX with few minorities.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Stush
I have a friend that has been offered a job with SpaceX. Its a good opportunity for him, but the position will require relocation to Brownsville, TX. I was there once, but it was almost 20 years ago. At that time, all I could think was, "I hope I never have to come back here again." I realize that a lot can change in 20 years, but the impression that I had was not favorable. Any campfire members that live in Brownsville or familiar with the area that can offer a more objective assessment that I could pass along?

His wife is an RN. He would be going there in an IT position for SpaceX. Neither is bilingual.

Fugg and no.

Travis

Yup.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by EdM

Yup.

Damn...

I don't think we have anybody as well traveled as Ed and even he said no...

Laughin'.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A good friend of mine lived in Weslaco for a long time. He had a nice house, good job, sent his kids to private school, etc. A Colonia sprang up a few blocks from his house. Pretty soon his kids contracted some disease that was much like the Bubonic Plague. There is little doubt that it came from the open sewer of the Colonia. He lived in a good neighborhood in an "estate" type situation with a few acres too. Within six months of his kids getting sick, he had gotten a different job, sold his holdings and moved his game back to Kansas. So much for the great weather of the Rio Grande Valley.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
A good friend of mine lived in Weslaco for a long time. He had a nice house, good job, sent his kids to private school, etc. A Colonia sprang up a few blocks from his house. Pretty soon his kids contracted some disease that was much like the Bubonic Plague. There is little doubt that it came from the open sewer of the Colonia. He lived in a good neighborhood in an "estate" type situation with a few acres too. Within six months of his kids getting sick, he had gotten a different job, sold his holdings and moved his game back to Kansas. So much for the great weather of the Rio Grande Valley.

What was he doing in a colonia? Stay out of the bad places. Never had a disease in 25 years. Never got one on the other side of the river either, when I was single. whistle

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If he can stand living in Pennsylvania, he doesn't need to move to Brownsville. It is not a place for the civilized types. The Tex-Mex border is not much different than it was 150 years ago, other than technology, and the fact that our Government is on their side.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There are good things about everywhere, but Brownsville is more like Mexico than the US. That is the truth. If you are okay with that, then so be it. It will take some adjustment.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I should add, that if your buddy has some extraordinary circumstances such as zero education, zero likelihood of more opportunity, currently in a dead end job, etc., then that might change my answer.

Might.

But from the sounds of it, he's going to have more than one opportunity knocking in his life. And Brownsville would be the last fugging door I chose to open if that were the case.

And obviously, his wife can work anywhere in the country. So I'm not really seeing the need to move to BrownTown.

You didn't mention if they had kids but if they do, they need to factor in what private schooling will cost them. Not many white folk from PA are going to send their kids to a public school in that part of the world.

Clark

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All border towns are rough. But you would not believe the Yankees that winter there ( RGV ). That being said best fishing on the Gulf Coast. Padre island offers both fishing and duck hunting. South Texas has some of the best white tail hunting in the country, but it's expensive. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
While Brownsville would not be my first choice of places to live, most affluent business people live a few miles away on Padre Island. (Under 30 miles)That is a great place to live with gun friendly neighbors. Great fishing and wonderful people down there. No State income Tax either.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by 4ager
PA has 67 counties. About 7 are blue. The other 60 or so are overwhelmingly red. It is far from perfect here, but there are some redeeming qualities....

Keep telling yourself that.

Tax rate? State economic situation? Employment options and economic growth? Support of 2A? Real estate market? Compare those to TX. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

You are way off base on the 2nd Amendment part. Southwest Pa. is about as pro gun as anywhere in the country. They have a lot more gun clubs than we have here in N.C.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PA has 67 counties. About 7 are blue. The other 60 or so are overwhelmingly red. It is far from perfect here, but there are some redeeming qualities....

Tax rate? State economic situation? Employment options and economic growth? Support of 2A? Real estate market? Compare those to TX. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

You are way off base on the 2nd Amendment part. Southwest Pa. is about as pro gun as anywhere in the country. They have a lot more gun clubs than we have here in N.C.

Oh? Compare the STATE laws on the 2A, and get back to me. Cherry-picking one part of the state without looking at the whole when the whole is governed by the same laws doesn't fly. Hell, if you did that, then parts of NY might be worth a f'k on the 2A, but they ain't because of the state laws that apply everywhere in the state.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Show him this and let him decide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matamoros%E2%80%93Brownsville_Metropolitan_Area

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W

Oh? Compare the STATE laws on the 2A, and get back to me. Cherry-picking one part of the state without looking at the whole when the whole is governed by the same laws doesn't fly. Hell, if you did that, then parts of NY might be worth a f'k on the 2A, but they ain't because of the state laws that apply everywhere in the state.

You could be right about the state as a whole. I need to remember that southwest Pa. Is kind of a state within a state. Much like you suggest New York is. It is just hard for me to believe that Pa. Is anti gun with all the hunters and NRA members that they have. If they are anti gun then N.C. is in big trouble.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd live in kingsville or corpus and just drive back and forth if the money was good.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

451 members (16gage, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 2500HD, 160user, 49 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,843
Posts18,517,256
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.